talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton 5-2 West Brom - Saturday 19th September, 2020

football forum

• Subscriber
48 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Just seen it. That's mental from the referee. Reminds me of Ancelotti's red against Man Utd last season. Referees want respect but sending managers off when they've challenged their decision isn't being respectful either.

Wouldn't be Mike Dean if he didn't somehow make the game about himself.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
45 minutes ago, Rick said:

That twat Peter Walton saying “you can’t approach the ref on the field” okay, fair enough, but wouldn’t a yellow have sufficed? 

What an equaliser.

Peter Walton would defend the ref if he'd actually kicked the player in the face. Totally pointless having him on, can't believe they've kept him on.

• Subscriber
28 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Not a great sign when you're having a meltdown like West Brom are here in the second game of the season.

Loving it though, been about 70 years since we've been this comfortable with 25 minutes left.

They were equally as bad last week. I'll be amazed if them or Fulham survive.

I'm quite impressed with DCL's rise in the last couple of seasons, didn't really seem anything special but has really come on a lot. I think the way Everton completely transformed their midfield was very intelligent, its definitely the most important area if you're going to be any good.

• Subscriber

If there's one thing we've consistently done well recruitment-wise, it's picking up players from lower league sides. Going back to Stones, who made us £47m profit when we sold him, Calvert-Lewin for £1.5m, Holgate for £2m, even Lookman for around £8m was sold for a healthy profit despite never establishing himself. Hopefully Branthwaite is the next one we can call a success having signed for a few hundred thousand last season and shown promise in the games he's played. It mitigates some of the damage done by the awful business we've done in other areas.

I backed Calvert-Lewin a couple of years back as a potential England call-up in future and got a pasting for it by some members who I won't name. He's never going to reach Kane's level and there's no shortage of quality options with Ings and Abraham but you couldn't argue against a call up at least for DCL at this point.

Mina was the only one who concerned me a bit today. Pickford didn't cover himself in glory for the first goal. He tried too hard to anticipate Diangana's lay-off to the overlapping player and ended up wrong-footing himself. Mina was a bigger culprit though for allowing him to have a free shot from that far out. Most of our other problems were caused by our full backs over-committing and us losing the ball in midfield. We need to strike a better balance there but it's not bad at this stage.

The major positive is that Digne, Richarlison, Rodriguez and Coleman, who has had a really good start to the season under the radar, are creating so much that we'll threaten any team. Hopefully Moise Kean can bag against Fleetwood again midweek and start building some momentum so we can have a real threat off the bench as well. Glad to see Iwobi back and ahead of Walcott in the pecking order. I still think we can get a decent player out of him. He was poor for most of last season but playing him in a front three with better players around him will make a big difference.

Pickford 6, Coleman 7, Mina 5, Keane 6.5, Digne 7.5, Allan 7, Douceur 6.5, Gomes 6.5, Rodriguez 8, Richarlison 7.5, Calvert-Lewin 8.

UTFT B|

1 hour ago, RandoEFC said:

I backed Calvert-Lewin a couple of years back as a potential England call-up in future and got a pasting for it by some members who I won't name.

Tbf last season I did hold my hands up and say I was wrong about him and that I think you're right now xD and I think one of the other ones, who I also won't name, agreed with me too.

• Subscriber
14 minutes ago, Spike said:

@RandoEFC you say that Calvert-Lewin should play for England? Well, I say that Everton will win a trophy this season, probably the FA Cup. Got a good feeling about your Toffees. Being able to beat a Jose Mourinho team 1-0 is good sign.

xD I'm saying nothing. We're cursed and it'll take more than 3 wins to convince me it's lifted.

Just now, RandoEFC said:

xD I'm saying nothing. We're cursed and it'll take more than 3 wins to convince me it's lifted.

I don't think so. You've got a flair player that can pull things out of his arse, and Carlo Ancellotti who is the best manager in the world when the team snowballs. I've never been convinced on his tactical or strategic ability but if Everton get on a roll, Ancelotti is the manager you want to have, because when his teams win, they keep winning. I've always thoughtof Ancellotti as the manager you want when everything is lined up to take shot, and he takes the shot and scores.

• The topic was unpinned
  • Administrator

Gibbs xD what an absolute melon. Not sure anyone can have any complaints. It's not even about giving a referee a decision to make. It's just something you don't do on a football pitch regardless. 

Not sure why Bilic got sent off though. I think plenty of others have mentioned about other managers doing it and getting away with it. Bilic does it in a comparably calmer way but gets punished for it. From what you can hear as well it doesn't sound abusive? Just questioning the  'foul and the red card'. Unless he's said something else not picked up I can't work out what's pushed Mike Dean over the edge to get a red. Or it could be a new rule for the season? If that is the case, I'd like to see some consistency and we're likely to see more red cards for other managers.

I'll be honest I didn't rate Calvert-Lewin a few seasons ago - thought he just wasn't a good enough finisher and wouldn't always get in the best positions. You can see the gradual progression over the last season or two to now and he's improved ridiculously. Getting in the box is half the battle and then becoming a good target and actually finishing the chance is another. He's bettered both parts of his game.

It was only West Brom but you can only beat what's infront of you and Everton did it in style.

Think West Brom will face another relegation battle if they don't sort their game management out. Last week against us they got some control in the game to start but did nothing with it. At least today they scored (albeit 1 a quality free-kick).

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Everton fans will know more than most not to get carried away but there does seem to be a bit of a sea change. Let’s hope it carries on when they drop points, they should be aiming for top 6.

This is what I'll be interested in as well. Strong start to the season but almost a true test of character will be when things get a bit tougher or they lose a couple in a row/form drops.

Archived