talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Confederations Cup - Favourites

football forum

e561ad44694c4562e662efec4bfe6269.png

I think with Germany sending a second squad, Chile will fancy their chances. Sanchez under Pizzi has been unplayable time and time again. One of the best players in the world, easily. I think Australia should be more favourites than Cameroon but I doubt either will win it.

I'll be cheering for Australia in this. I'm usually for the South Americans, but I can't stand Chile.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although on second thought all this 'Give the smaller nations a chace' banner under which the expansion of WC is planned. If it was really about that which it isn't then it would have been better to let more teams compete at the Confideration cup and let the WC be for the elits only

35 minutes ago, Anton said:

Thanks for the support but we are going to get pumped and our coach will resign afterwards (likely if we can't beat Saudi Arabia in our WC qualifier earlier in June).

I've followed your last few games. You're in poor form and Timmy is past his best. However Ange is a good manager for me. He's definitely experimented a lot as of late but I've liked what he's done for the NT.

I don't think you'll do too well but I'm definitely on your side. I'm not a Germany bandwagon and I will never cheer for Chile.

I don't think I could deal with Chile winning another cup. Or Mexico for that matter. If Australia doesn't do it (probably won't) then I hope Germany or Portugal win. Just anyone but those 2.

Good luck to Mexico and Chile in their groups. Chile should reach the knock-out stages without too many problems (especially considering Germany's second string squad), but for Mexico it will be tough against Portugal and the host nations Russia. 

Chile being named 3rd favourites to the win the title by the bookies is odd. Surely they should be title favourites? They are a better team than Portugal. Hopefully Mexico can face them again in the knockout stages and try to gain revenge for that 7-0 humiliation in Santa Clara last year. 

On 5/22/2017 at 9:25 AM, Anton said:

Thanks for the support but we are going to get pumped and our coach will resign afterwards (likely if we can't beat Saudi Arabia in our WC qualifier earlier in June).

Not only that there are no decent coaches looking to takeover.

8 hours ago, Anton said:

Disagree. I think it's a great idea for a competition. 

For smaller nations from Asia and Africa as it gives them a chance to play against deemed better sides but not so sure how the big team fans feel about this competition. 

Lets be fair, its an irrelevant cup. The champions of this cup are... what are they a champion of exactly? A world cup practice? Its pointless. However that said, its the champions of each continental tournament and the champions of the world cup playing together, so that alone makes it worth watching.

I look forward to Chile getting to the final and saying "this cup doesn't matter" just like they did with the Copa America Centenario where they said its not a real Copa America. Just so they can win it and begin to backtrack with that opinion. Or Mexico, using this as an argument to make them sound successful at world level. They're the kings of winning irrelevant cups. 

Please, anyone but those 2 win it. Even if it means Ronaldo will take off his shirt in the final after doing nothing throughout. I rather that.

17 hours ago, Dickie said:

nope

Well in CONCACAF, both Mexico and the USA are always desperate to qualify for this tournament, to test themselves against strong teams from other confederations. CONCACAF have milked that by introducing the qualification play-off game. Even before that, when USA beat Mexico to win the 2007 Gold Cup, or when Mexico beat USA to win the 2011 Gold Cup, the winners were not only happy to beat their arch rivals and win a trophy, but also to qualify for this tournament. 

I doubt that many US fans would say that their semi-final win over an utterly dominant Spanish team in 2009 was meaningless. 

• Subscriber
On 5/22/2017 at 6:56 AM, Azeem98 said:

Does anybody cares for this ? 

Not massively but it's some football when there's no football on. It's a nice rehearsal for the World Cup and I'll likely follow it.

• Subscriber
22 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Good luck to Mexico and Chile in their groups. Chile should reach the knock-out stages without too many problems (especially considering Germany's second string squad), but for Mexico it will be tough against Portugal and the host nations Russia. 

Chile being named 3rd favourites to the win the title by the bookies is odd. Surely they should be title favourites? They are a better team than Portugal. Hopefully Mexico can face them again in the knockout stages and try to gain revenge for that 7-0 humiliation in Santa Clara last year. 

Title favourites ahead of Germany?

Unsure on the Portugal comment as well. I think that would be a very interesting battle. I think Portugal got slightly fortunate to win the Euros but they do actually have a really good side coming through.

13 minutes ago, Dan said:

Unsure on the Portugal comment as well. I think that would be a very interesting battle. I think Portugal got slightly fortunate to win the Euros but they do actually have a really good side coming through.

I agree. Portugal definitely have a world cup winning side. They just lack something. Don't know if its the mentality or if its the tactics.

13 minutes ago, Dan said:

Yes Germany are sending their their second string team so Chile surely have to be favourites ahead of them. 

I've watched quite a lot of Chile over the last few years (I have a couple of Chilean friends from work), and I rate them highly. They are a world class team with superb cohesion and a lot of talented players who keep playing out of their skin for them time after time whether it is Sanchez, Vidal, Diaz, Aranguiz etc. They have a great balance of technical flair and commitment and grit, and are a joy to watch. 

Over the past few years they've given footballing lessons to Spain, Brazil, Colombia and Mexico. 

Eduardo Vargas has been incredibly poor at club level but transforms into a different player for Chile, and Gary Medel has been nothing short of heroic in their defense

Chile to me were far more impressive during their back to back Copa América title runs than Portugal were during their Euro Championship success last year. I agree that they have a good crop of young players coming through, but at this minute in time I rate Chile more highly. 

I think that those bookmakers odds reflect the fact that they don't know much about the teams from outside Europe to be honest. 

• Administrator

People writing off Germany cos they're sending a 2nd string squad. Bear in mind that squad still contains (and this just shows the magnificent depth they have in their national side) :

Ter Stegen
Trapp
Mustafi
Kimmich
Rudiger
Ginter
Sule
Draxler
Rudy
Emre Can
Brandt
Goretzka
Werner
Stindl
Wagner

I don't know about other sides but for a '2nd string' squad there's a hell of a lot of playing experience there at the top level, be it Bundesliga or Premier League (mainly). 

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

People writing off Germany cos they're sending a 2nd string squad. Bear in mind that squad still contains (and this just shows the magnificent depth they have in their national side) :

Ter Stegen
Trapp
Mustafi
Kimmich
Rudiger
Ginter
Sule
Draxler
Rudy
Emre Can
Brandt
Goretzka
Werner
Stindl
Wagner

I don't know about other sides but for a '2nd string' squad there's a hell of a lot of playing experience there at the top level, be it Bundesliga or Premier League (mainly). 

No one is writing them off. They are simply saying that Chile are more favourites, which to me they also are.  

None of the players there are world class. Sanchez is the 5th best player in the world for me, and there is also Vidal who I don't consider world class but he's still a top player. Lets not forget Bravo and Medel who are superb for the national team.

• Administrator

'writing them off' is essentially saying they won't win the tournament. 

Doesn't matter if the players aren't world class. Like Vidal for Chile, there's some top players in there but they have great quality across all positions which to me makes them strong favourites above other teams. 

I rate Chile and think they'll both qualify out of the group, but think Germany will go further.

Archived