talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Confederations Cup - Favourites

football forum

Just now, Stan said:

'writing them off' is essentially saying they won't win the tournament. 

Well no-one is saying that they won't win the tournament either, just that they shouldn't be title favourites. There is a big difference there. 

Another highlight of watching Chile is listening to their amazing national anthem at the start of their games. Pure passion: 

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Stan said:

'writing them off' is essentially saying they won't win the tournament. 

Doesn't matter if the players aren't world class. Like Vidal for Chile, there's some top players in there but they have great quality across all positions which to me makes them strong favourites above other teams. 

I rate Chile and think they'll both qualify out of the group, but think Germany will go further.

Again, no one said that.

Actually, it does matter. At least in this case. If you don't have any world class players, then you don't have that "game changer" that Chile does. Chile won the last 2 Copa America's. In 2015, the entire team was equally as good. In 2016, Sanchez nearly single handedly carried them. Sanchez is good for Arsenal. He's MUCH better for Chile, if you could believe that.

Germany definitely have more balance across the board but I don't see any way that side is better than this Chilean team. Germany are still one of the favourites, but this Chilean team for me is better.

That said, I hope they lose every game.

Portugal announced their squad. Best squad for me. We just need to see exactly how they'll use that to their advantage.

Teso not listing Chile as one of the favorites simply because they are South American but lists Mexico. Superb effort xD

I'm gonna go for a Portugal win. It was a hard pick between them, Germany and Chile but I'd say the best overall team are the Portuguese. Again it all depends on how they use the squad to their advantage but as I mentioned earlier I'd say they have the best 23.

I could be just saying this because I don't want Chile to win it. On form there is no stopping La Roja. I did rule them out the last 2 Copa America's so it wouldn't surprise me if they proved me wrong again.

Germany are always favourites but lacking that game changer I think they'll miss out on the title here.

This tournament is a good test for Mexico. In the past they have had a habit of taking one step forwards and then 2 steps backwards, so I'm not sure what to predict for them. But playing 2 European teams in a tournament in Europe is a big opportunity to make a mark. 

I know it's only the Gold Cup, but the way won the 2011 tournament giving the USA a total football lesson, and with their talented late 80s generation of Chicharito, Dos Santos, Guardado, Moreno all looking good (although the FMF-Vela feud was already on-going), made me think that they had a very exciting future ahead of them, and could even be potential semi-finalists or quarter-finalists at the next World Cup. But then they were utterly embarrassing in the 2014 WC qualifiers, hardly scoring any goals or wins, and needed late goals by the USA in Panama to even reach the play-off. 

Then they looked good at the last World Cup itself, playing well in all 4 matches, including outplaying the Netherlands for the first hour or so in that last 16 match, but then they regressed again and only won the 2015 Gold Cup thanks to help from the referees. A lot of the Mexican fans I know rightly said that there was no joy in winning that tournament. 

Then things were looking rosy again under Osorio before the humiliation against Chile in last year's Copa America. But if you ignore that one result (I know that's crazy given the scale of the defeat and importance of the match), then I do think that there have been improvements under him. His constant rotation policy divides opinion, and I do think that he was crazy to play 3 different goalkeepers in their 3 Copa America group matches last year and of course knowing a clear first choice XI can be helpful, but then it does prevent players from becoming too complacent which has been a problem in the past. Obviously one player who should always start is Layun. He keeps delivering for the NT time after time. 

It's interesting that they have a big WC qualifying game against the USA at Estadio Azteca (the most impressive stadium that I've ever been to) just a few days before this tournament starts. 

For me the most impressive victory that I've seen by a Mexican team came at this competition back in 2005, when they beat a a star-studded Brazilian team with Ronaldinho, Kaka, Adriano (who at the time was amazing), Emerson, Ze Roberto, Lucio etc in their group match. They've had a lot of victories over Brazil in the Gold and Confederations Cups at Estadio Azteca, or in Copa Americas, but beating such a strong Brazilian team in Europe was a big deal. 

I'm disappointed that Renato won't be going. He brings another energy to our midfield. 

Anyway, I think the winner will be one of Portugal, Germany or Chile. Chile have a quality side and Germany's B team is much stronger than most countries A team. Not to mention that their mentality surpasses anyone's else.

New Zealand to upset the odds with a smash and grab final win over the Germans whilst Chris Wood clinches the tournament's golden boot and hikes his price tag up to £40m amid rumours of Real Madrid's interest.

I think we'll get to the final rather easily and lose to Germany.

We're a quite confident and solid side atm, but Germany is Germany. I could never see us as favourites against them. They've got the better squad of the tournament as well. If not them, I'd wager that no one else will stop us.

• 2 weeks later...

I still think Chile will win as they have 2 world class players ok their side but their main guy is arguably the best player in the world at international level. Sanchez when he puts on a La Roja shirt is just on another level. Complete game changer. I hope I'm wrong on this and they lose every game.

Portugal play unattractive football but I rate their squad over the Germans B team.

Germany are my third favourites as they still have sent a very strong squad but there's no game changer and that will be the missing piece for me.

The other teams don't have a chance. Mexico should be 4th but they'll lose once they get through and it's against one of the 3 above.

Im cheering Australia for this. I'm usually for the South Americans but I cant cheer for Chile in this.

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

Chile have looked awful since their Copa Win. 

No they haven't. They looked awful until the Peru game in Santiago. Sinnce then they're looking like the team they were in the Copa again.

1 minute ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

No they haven't. They looked awful until the Peru game in Santiago. Sinnce then they're looking like the team they were in the Copa again.

Just seen them against Romania the other day and their qualifiers. Wasn't impressed by them. 

Germany is sending out a B team and I particularly don't rate this Portugal side. Mexico for me is the only team that look to win it. 

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Just seen them against Romania the other day and their qualifiers. Wasn't impressed by them. 

Germany is sending out a B team and I particularly don't rate this Portugal side. Mexico for me is the only team that look to win it. 

They also lost against Jamaica at home before the Copa America. Friendlies are meaningless. Chile have been brilliant in the qualifiers since they were given the 3 points that 2 were lost against Bolivia.

4 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

They also lost against Jamaica at home before the Copa America. Friendlies are meaningless. Chile have been brilliant in the qualifiers since they were given the 3 points that 2 were lost against Bolivia.

Fair enough. Still think Mexico have been the best performing team recently. 

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

that's not what you were saying when Peru played Jamaica xD 

6 minutes ago, Stan said:

that's not what you were saying when Peru played Jamaica xD 

You're right mate, I wasn't saying that. I also wasn't saying that they meant something. I said that I would be disappointed if we didn't win by 4 because it was rumored Jamaica would bring their 4th team which in the end, they didn't.

Friendlies are meaningless. It's always nice to win but it's also important to not get carried away.

1 hour ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

You're right mate, I wasn't saying that. I also wasn't saying that they meant something. I said that I would be disappointed if we didn't win by 4 because it was rumored Jamaica would bring their 4th team which in the end, they didn't.

Friendlies are meaningless. It's always nice to win but it's also important to not get carried away.

I think the exact words were that it should be a 'morale booster'.

I think friendlies are useful for experimenting (to an extent) and boosting morale. In our case, its good to have these games for a player like Christian Cueva who will click again when he has a good day in any match and friendlies are risk free. The overall result is meaningless though.

Archived