talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Wout Weghorst Signs For Burnley

Wolfsburg's Dutch striker Weghorst is being followed by Tottenham. They want a forward to give Harry Kane competition and Weghorst is an option that they are looking at. However, Weghorst has just had a very successful season and he is valued at around £27 million, so he won't come cheap.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-tottenham-eyeing-wolfsburg-striker-wout-weghorst-rated-at-27m/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard more about this rumor, which appears to have picked up steam after he didn't play this weekend for Wolfsburg. 

I'd hate to see him leave the league, but I'd certainly appreciate not playing against him this weekend. 

3 hours ago, Eco said:

Heard more about this rumor, which appears to have picked up steam after he didn't play this weekend for Wolfsburg. 

I'd hate to see him leave the league, but I'd certainly appreciate not playing against him this weekend. 

Weghorst did actually play against Freiburg, as he came on as a substitute. I also don't think that we should read too much into the fact that he didn't start the match, as several other usual starters like Schlager, Steffen, Lacroix, Mehmedi and Roussillon weren't in the starting line-up against Freiburg either. Wolfsburg manager Glasner was clearly resting these players, as they had played a midweek Europa League game against Desna only a few days prior to the Freiburg match.

Having said that, I wouldn't be too surprised if Spurs made an official move for Weghorst. He fits the description of the type of forward that Mourinho has been apparently looking for. However, the Wolfsburg director recently came out and suggested that Tottenham don't need Weghorst. So it remains to be seen if the tall Dutchman does eventually make the move to North London.

• The title was changed to Wout Weghorst - Burnley
  • The topic was locked
  • The topic was unlocked
1 minute ago, nudge said:

Yeah, this is a bit of an underwhelming transfer. 

Says a lot about the Premier League, reminds me of Italy in the 90's where you would get top class players signing for random teams.

The money in our league is now insane.

3 minutes ago, Devil said:

Says a lot about the Premier League, reminds me of Italy in the 90's where you would get top class players signing for random teams.

The money in our league is now insane.

That's just it, it's the lure of the money in the Premier League that attracts a lot of quality players. Of course playing in the Premier League in its own right is very appealing, but the wages that the top tier English clubs can afford, is unlike any other league. Weghorst has a year and a half left on his Wolfsburg contract, so I guess the struggling German club want to cash in on the 29 year old and use the transfer money to bring in other players. I personally think that Weghorst is a better forward than Wood, who Burnley sold to Newcastle for £27 million recently. While Burnley I believe are going to pay £12 million for Weghorst. Given that both forwards are a similar age, I think that Burnley have gotten a great deal this transfer window, if Weghorst does indeed join the club.

Pathetic transfer from the player. Moving from a side that are in and around the European spots to go to fucking Burnley. 

It’s not even as if they pay big wages either is is, they are always harping on about being skint, so is it that much of a wage increase for him? 

Truly bizarre transfer. 

• The title was changed to Wout Weghorst Signs For Burnley
2 minutes ago, Rick said:

Pathetic transfer from the player. Moving from a side that are in and around the European spots to go to fucking Burnley. 

It’s not even as if they pay big wages either is is, they are always harping on about being skint, so is it that much of a wage increase for him? 

Truly bizarre transfer. 

He looked a classic target man during the Euros.

It just shows the step up in salary these guys are getting to come to the Premier League. Even Burnley are paying more than big clubs in Europe.

Remember when Peter Crouch went to Stoke for 15 million Euros. That was the moment I thought to myself "This league is fucked"
A man who had scored 12 in 73 for Spurs (a goal every 6 games), and went on to score 46 in 225 (a goal every 5!) 
That doubled Bremens record transfer fee at the time. If any team in any other league had signed 29 year old Peter fucking Crouch for that cash, they'd have sacked their director of football. But in the premier league, it's okay, because money is cheap, and it flies under the radar of Andy Carroll costing 8 times as much as he should EVERY FUCKING TIME HE WAS TRANSFERED! 

14 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

But the premier league isn't ruining football, oh no. 

It's good for English fans though. Does seem like a bit of a negative way of lookong at things to me. People moaned for years about the premier league not being good now they are moaning its to good. Football goes through phases where certain leagues are stronger. For years it was la liga now it's the premier league 

7 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Remember when Peter Crouch went to Stoke for 15 million Euros. That was the moment I thought to myself "This league is fucked"
A man who had scored 12 in 73 for Spurs (a goal every 6 games), and went on to score 46 in 225 (a goal every 5!) 
That doubled Bremens record transfer fee at the time. If any team in any other league had signed 29 year old Peter fucking Crouch for that cash, they'd have sacked their director of football. But in the premier league, it's okay, because money is cheap, and it flies under the radar of Andy Carroll costing 8 times as much as he should EVERY FUCKING TIME HE WAS TRANSFERED! 

Clubs do actually spend less percentage of there money  on transfers than they use to though. Zidane went to real madrid for £40 million. But that would have been £300 million about 5 years ago or so when you take into account inflation. It would be more now.

10 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Clubs do actually spend less percentage of there money  on transfers than they use to though. Zidane went to real madrid for £40 million. But that would have been £300 million about 5 years ago or so when you take into account inflation. It would be more now.

Ah yes, that 750% inflation over 20 years. 

Use your brain you fucking nong. 

7 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Ah yes, that 750% inflation over 20 years. 

Use your brain you fucking nong. 

Its literally been proven that clubs spend less of the percentage of their income on transfers. If a club spends 7 times more on transfers than it did 20 years ago but makes 8 times more it spends less of a percentage. I have no idea what you are actually saying 

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Truly bizarre transfer. 

To be fair, Wolfsburg are on 15th spot and closer to relegation than they're to Europe.

46 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Its literally been proven that clubs spend less of the percentage of their income on transfers. If a club spends 7 times more on transfers than it did 20 years ago but makes 8 times more it spends less of a percentage. I have no idea what you are actually saying 

That's very different than claiming inflation has been 750%

1 hour ago, Rick said:

Truly bizarre transfer. 

Wolfsburg are just above the relegation places in the Bundesliga table, so they are struggling in the Bundesliga, similar to how Burnley are struggling in the Premier League.

13 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

That's very different than claiming inflation has been 750%

I'm not saying it has. What I'm saying is that when real madrid bought zidane he cost them £40 million. Say they made £80 million in profit that year they spent half their profit on him.

Now £40 millon 20 years ago is around about £200 million or so I would imagine in today's market. So say they made £600 million profit in one year and they spent £200 on him they have spent less of their profit on a player. Thats not saying zidane would go for £300 thats just saying it would be £300 million if they were to use to same percentage of their profit.

Now it's not as simple as that and I don't really know how it works but I do know in general teams do actually spend less of a percentage of their money on players than they use to. 

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm not saying it has. What I'm saying is that when real madrid bought zidane he cost them £40 million. Say they made £80 million in profit that year they spent half their profit on him.

Now £40 millon 20 years ago is around about £200 million or so I would imagine in today's market. So say they made £600 million profit in one year and they spent £200 on him they have spent less of their profit on a player. Thats not saying zidane would go for £300 thats just saying it would be £300 million if they were to use to same percentage of their profit.

Now it's not as simple as that and I don't really know how it works but I do know in general teams do actually spend less of a percentage of their money on players than they use to. 

This, and the statment you made where inflation raised the value of 40 mil to 300 mil are absurd. 40 mil then is 61 mil now. 

7 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

This, and the statment you made where inflation raised the value of 40 mil to 300 mil are absurd. 40 mil then is 61 mil now. 

I dont think I've explained it clearly. It appears as if you thought I was referring to general inflation. I'm not talking about general inflation I'm talking about the inflation of transfer fees. In 2001 zidane went to real madrid for £46 million which was a world record at the time. In 2017 neymar went for £198 million to PSG. That's inflation  of around 430 %. I'm  not saying general inflation is that high. The transfer fee costs of players has gone up  significantly faster than general inflation. Jack Grealish went for £100 million. That would probably be around £20 million in 2001. However the money that is in football has gone up much faster than normal inflation as well. And clubs generally spend less of a percentage of their revenue on transfer fees than they use to. 

Archived