talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Bas Dost - to Tottenham

football forum

Tottenham have reportedly shown interest in bringing Frankfurt centre forward Bas Dost to North London. Frankfurt are asking for around £5.1 for his sale, but Mourinho and Tottenham would prefer some kind of loan deal.

Personally I think that Frankfurt should either sell him for the transfer fee that they are demanding or just keep him. A loan move won't really benefit Frankfurt.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/15/jose-mourinho-keen-to-bring-eintracht-frankfurt-striker-bas-dost-to-tottenham

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many years are left on his contract? Isn't he fairly old?

I think he's a good striker, tbh. Although his record in the Netherlands & Portugal is so much better than his record in Germany. And every time I've watched him score a goal live... it always seems like he's just scoring tap ins. But there's something to be said about those old school "fox in the box" type strikers. Where they might not be the most athletic or talented players... but their movement in the box lets them be at the right place and right time constantly and their finishing makes them lethal. I feel like we see less of these sorts of strikers in modern football.

I don't think he's a bad backup option to Kane. The difficult thing is getting Frankfurt to let him go at a price that's actually worth it. I see how a loan could be appealing to Spurs, but unless Frankfurt want rid and don't want to pay him anymore... I don't see what's in it for them to loan him out.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

How many years are left on his contract? Isn't he fairly old?

I think he's a good striker, tbh. Although his record in the Netherlands & Portugal is so much better than his record in Germany. And every time I've watched him score a goal live... it always seems like he's just scoring tap ins. But there's something to be said about those old school "fox in the box" type strikers. Where they might not be the most athletic or talented players... but their movement in the box lets them be at the right place and right time constantly and their finishing makes them lethal. I feel like we see less of these sorts of strikers in modern football.

I don't think he's a bad backup option to Kane. The difficult thing is getting Frankfurt to let him go at a price that's actually worth it. I see how a loan could be appealing to Spurs, but unless Frankfurt want rid and don't want to pay him anymore... I don't see what's in it for them to loan him out.

He's now 31 and he has another 2 years on his contract at Frankfurt. Yes, his goal-scoring record in Holland and Portugal has been phenomenal.  His scoring ratio was almost a goal every game in those two countries, that's how good he was. But clearly the Bundesliga is a huge step up from those two leagues, with all due respect to them. Having said that, his scoring record in Germany hasn't really been that bad. At Wolfsburg he had spells when he was absolutely excellent and other times where he was completely off form. In Frankfurt he has been very useful. Where he rotated last season up front with Andre Silva, Paciencia and Kamada at times. 

However, Frankfurt have let Paciencia go out on loan to Schalke. Letting another experienced forward leave would have to make financial sense. Frankfurt signed the young forward Ragnar Ache in the summer, but he is unproven in the Bundesliga. So it's really just Andre Silva and Dost who are their only real natural forwards. Kamada can't lead the line like these two forwards, he can only be used as a strike partner, if he is not used in his natural attacking midfield role. 

So it makes little sense for Frankfurt to loan Dost. If they can sell him, that would make more sense, as they could use the funds to perhaps help find a replacement forward. Either they sell him or they keep him, as he can clearly still do a good job at Frankfurt.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

So it makes little sense for Frankfurt to loan Dost. If they can sell him, that would make more sense, as they could use the funds to perhaps help find a replacement forward. Either they sell him or they keep him, as he can clearly still do a good job at Frankfurt.

I know that German clubs aren't as crazy in the transfer market as English clubs have been lately. But surely that amount they're asking for in your first post isn't going to bring in a very high quality replacement?

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

I know that German clubs aren't as crazy in the transfer market as English clubs have been lately. But surely that amount they're asking for in your first post isn't going to bring in a very high quality replacement?

No, clearly £5.1 million is not going to bring in a top class replacement. Not sure how much money they already have available to be honest. But what they would probably do if they sold Dost is buy a younger prospect at a bargain price. There are plenty of young talents that one can find between the £5 million to £10 million transfer bracket. It's only the transfer market in England that inflates the price of your average decent player. Either that(they opt for a young forward in Europe) or they buy a proven forward a similar age to Dost for a similar modest transfer fee. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents on this issue. 

• The topic was locked

Archived