talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Florian Thauvin - to Bayer Leverkusen

football forum

Bayer Leverkusen are interested in buying 27 year old World Cup winner Florian Thauvin. After the sale of Havertz to Chelsea, as well as the sale of Volland to Monaco, Leverkusen have plenty of money to spend. Thauvin would be a welcome addition at Leverkusen, but Marseille won't let go of their most prized player easily. 

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/bayer-leverkusen-interested-in-florian-thauvin-bouna-sarr/

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Such a strange player to me..sometimes brilliant, sometimes you forget he's on the pitch. 

Not sure how much they asking for, but if Bayer is willing to pay at least $30m, then I'd take it and run if I"m OM. 

On 18/09/2020 at 00:09, Eco said:

Such a strange player to me..sometimes brilliant, sometimes you forget he's on the pitch. 

Not sure how much they asking for, but if Bayer is willing to pay at least $30m, then I'd take it and run if I"m OM. 

Well, I think that he is a much improved player these days than when he was at Newcastle United. As wingers go, he's literally been one of the best players in the French League since 2016.

His stats are really impressive. In the 2016/17 season, he scored 15 league goals and made 9 assists. During the 2017/18 season, he scored 22 league goals(2nd top scorer in the league that season) and created 11 assists(3rd most assists that season) and during the 2018/19 season he scored 16 league goals with 8 assists. All this for a Marseille side that didn't finish higher than 4th during those 3 seasons. Last season he got injured early in the season and then of course the French league was cut short due to Covid-19. 

But he has once again started well this season, where he inspired Marseille to 1-0 win over PSG by scoring the winning goal. I personally think that he is a player playing at his peak. At 27, he has fully fledged into a top class player, with consistently impressive performances. I think that Leverkusen will have another quality player in their squad if they manage to buy him.

1 minute ago, Batard said:

Would be an awful deal for us. If it happens for less than 70m it will be a travesty. 

$70m?

Fucking hell, he must have improved greatly in the past 12 months to be worth that! 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Spike said:

@Batard Wasn't this the bloke that signed for Lille post-Hazard and then said he won't play being promptly sold without playing a single game?

Oh God yeah, 2013 after being on loan at Bastia. Cringe. 

18 minutes ago, Eco said:

I said 30, 40 would be good for me if I were Bayer and OM. 

The transfer fee will probably be between 30 to 40 million euros, I agree. If he was currently at an English club though, they would probably be asking somewhere between 70 to 80 million euros. 

Bayern Munich have been after Thauvin for years and they only show serious interest in the best of players. I think it would be a real achievement for Leverkusen if they manage to sign Thauvin.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I can see it happening for around 40. 

This is more realistic.

8 hours ago, Eco said:

$70m?

Fucking hell, he must have improved greatly in the past 12 months to be worth that! 

Selling club can slap whatever price they want on their players. It's their valuation of a player and how important they are to that club. Might sound obscene initially but if a club is willing to pay it, then fair enough...

• Administrator

The real tragic element of it all though is that whatever is brought in for Thauvin won't be spent on a replacement of the same quality. Simply can't afford to shop locally. Sarr who could step in on the right flank further up is also being targeted by Leverkusen which shits on having a decent back up at least. The signings this summer have been underwhelming to say the least, Nagatomo, Pape Gueye, Balerdi on loan, sell Thauvin and Sarr and far too much creativity is stripped from the squad. If Thauvin is sold for 40m euros there won't be money to replace him. 

• The topic was locked

Archived