talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

RIP Ruth Bader Ginsburg

football forum

The great liberal lioness of the US Supreme Court has died at 87.

Arguably one of the greatest figureheads of progressivism in the western world and the most unifying figure in democratic politics . R.I.P.

This is devastating, and likely to be acrimonious given that trump will be the one to replace her, and it's an election year, which the Republicans used as an excuse in 2016 to deny the appointment of Obama's nominee Merrick Garland.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don’t know much about her other than America’s probably fucked because the GOP will put some hardline right wing moron in to interpret anything that goes to their Supreme Court.

But RIP, shitty way to go and she was clearly hugely important.

53 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I honestly don’t know much about her other than America’s probably fucked because the GOP will put some hardline right wing moron in to interpret anything that goes to their Supreme Court.

But RIP, shitty way to go and she was clearly hugely important.

If there was one issue that defined her, and made her most symbolic it was women's rights. Not as a crazed metoo advocate but as one of the smartest people in America who got shat on most of her career because of being a woman and a mother.

So many women in particular would be rocked to the core by her passing.

23 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Im amazed how badly setup America is, we hear all the pompous guff about being the land of the free and democracy but from the President being above the law to being able to handpick the judiciary, it’s nearly a despotism. Which is why you should never have one person as head of state.

It's a system that fails when one party decides to burn it all to the ground, and when it's base is so polarised that they turn a blind eye to crimes and overt corruption.

On 22/09/2020 at 07:51, The Artful Dodger said:

Im amazed how badly setup America is, we hear all the pompous guff about being the land of the free and democracy but from the President being above the law to being able to handpick the judiciary, it’s nearly a despotism. Which is why you should never have one person as head of state.

It gets even more mental when a lot of the “norms” of how the US government operated over the years just depends on the two parties acting in good faith, or so I’m told by friends.

On 20/09/2020 at 03:27, Inverted said:

The sad thing is that if the GOP manages to get another Justice appointed, her long-term historical importance will stem more from her decision not to retire while the Democrats could replace her, than from any of her achievements. 

I agree with this. Having basically a very limited knowledge of America’s, to me her longest lasting legacy will be not stepping down during Obama’s first turn.

21 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It gets even more mental when a lot of the “norms” of how the US government operated over the years just depends on the two parties acting in good faith, or so I’m told by friends.

Those systems also depends on the voters holding those political leaders to account. 

That is where another huge failure had occurred. What the right wing media has done to the Republican base. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Those systems also depends on the voters holding those political leaders to account. 

That is where another huge failure had occurred. What the right wing media has done to the Republican base. 

There are more Democrat voters than republicans, but the electoral college favours small states and congressional districts have been drawn to favour republicans who then don’t have to give a shit about what their democrat constituents say.

There’s only so much voters can do with leaders that don’t/won’t listen to them.

It’s a shambles of a democracy tbh.

Archived