talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Leverkusen sack Schmidt - Korkut takes over until the end of the season

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/article136578413.html

Bayer Leverkusen sacks coach Roger Schmidt after dismal run

Bayer Leverkusen sacked Roger Schmidt as coach on Sunday with the side laboring through its worst Bundesliga season for 14 years.

14948600ff2193e1.jpg

Leverkusen's shareholders' committee and supervisory board decided to let Schmidt go on the recommendation of club management. The club said a successor will be named "soon."

Schmidt's position had been called into question on several occasions this season but Saturday's 6-2 loss at Borussia Dortmund ended the club's patience. It was Leverkusen's third straight defeat in all competitions, including the 4-2 defeat at home to Atletico Madrid in the Champions League.

Leverkusen lost five of its last seven games in all competitions.

"In view of the current sporting development we came to the conclusion after very detailed analysis and consultation that a separation, although painful, is unavoidable for the further development and aims of Bayer 04," managing director Michael Schade said.

Schmidt, who turns 50 on March 13, joined Leverkusen in 2014 and had a contract through June 2019.

"I personally regret this a lot because we have Roger Schmidt to thank for a great deal. In his time we qualified three times for the group stages of the Champions League. Apart from that he enforced our philiosophy in the youth setup, developing young players and shaping them into national players, and thus creating lasting value," Schade said.

But this season Leverkusen is out of the German Cup, on the verge of exiting the Champions League, and it was ninth in the Bundesliga on Saturday, 11 points behind Hoffenheim in the last potential qualification place for the Champions League.

"I believe Roger Schmidt is an absolute top coach and that's why I have always backed him with full confidence," Leverkusen sporting director Rudi Voeller said. "But now we have to act so we don't lose sight of our goals. Now it's solely about finding a new impulse in a difference constellation and finally getting some consistency in our performances."

Well, this hardly comes as a surprise. I wonder who'll they hire next. I think either a big foreign name or one of the youth coaches. 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/tayfun-korkut-appointed-bayer-leverkusen-manager_sto6083123/story.shtml

Tayfun Korkut appointed Bayer Leverkusen manager

Bayer Leverkusen have appointed Tayfun Korkut as their new head coach until the end of the season.

tayfun-korkut-uebernimmt-die-sportlichen

The Turk replaces Roger Schmidt, who was sacked following Saturday's heavy 6-2 defeat to Bundesliga rivals Borussia Dortmund.

Korkut, a former Turkey midfielder, resigned as boss of second division side Kaiserslautern in December after just six months in charge, having previously been in charge of Hannover.

Leverkusen managing director Michael Schade said on the club's official website: "In Tayfun Korkut we have got a coach who has a great deal of expertise and has gained a lot of experience both as a coach and a player on the international stage.

"With him we want to overcome the difficult period we are experiencing and end the season well."

Korkut said he was looking forward "to working with very talented players at a top club".

Leverkusen have dropped to 10th place in the Bundesliga table, 11 points off the Champions League places, and have lost their last three games in all competitions.

Unexpected choice. He struggled with Hannover and Kaiserslautern, and now he's at Leverkusen :D

9 hours ago, True Bender said:

Is there anyone who thinks  Korkut is a better coach? I don't.

Is it true there was a dispute between Schmidt and some of his players?

Definitely not. Korkut also prefers a very defensive style of football, so Leverkusen games won't be the most attractive ones to watch. 

Schmidt is not an easy character, so it's possible. 

Archived