Bristol City vs Aston Villa
Lincoln vs Liverpool, 19.45
Man City vs Bournemouth, 19.45

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Orient vs Spurs might not go ahead...

Leyton Orient have confirmed that "a number" of first-team players have tested positive for coronavirus.

The O's are due to host Premier League Tottenham in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday and are in discussions with Public Health England about whether any further action needs to be taken.

The club said in a statement that the tests were carried out after Saturday's 2-2 draw with Mansfield in League Two.

Their most recent opponents - Plymouth, Mansfield and Oldham - have been told.

"Leyton Orient's priority is the health and wellbeing of its players and staff. Those who have tested positive will now strictly follow government self-isolation guidelines," the O's said.

"The Breyer Group Stadium and training ground facilities will be closed until further notice."

It is understood that if Orient are unable to field a team, the game will be awarded to Spurs as there is not enough room in the schedule to rearrange the tie.

Tottenham have a more congested schedule than most because of their Europa League commitments, with their next game in that competition in Macedonia against Shkendija on Thursday.

Orient's tie with Jose Mourinho's men would have seen them potentially come up against striker Harry Kane, who paid to promote charities on the front of their shirts in May. The England captain made his professional debut during a loan spell with the O's when he was 17.

The English Football League say they are "awaiting the outcome" of Orient's discussions with Public Health England.

Plymouth, who were beaten by Orient in the previous round of the EFL Cup, and Mansfield say they will test their players and football staff as a result, adding that none of them currently have symptoms.

Spoke to someone I know and he’s said:

- The number of players with positive tests is over ten. 
- Most of the squad had a “bug” leading up to their game on Saturday with another couple of players showing symptoms on Saturday morning. 
- Some players were ill around their previous two games before Saturday, including the Plymouth cup tie, which they didn’t want to forfeit because they could have missed playing Spurs and the financial reward of that. 

Basically, they’ve lied and lied and have probably infected other teams and their players. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Smiley Culture said:

Spoke to someone I know and he’s said:

- The number of players with positive tests is over ten. 
- Most of the squad had a “bug” leading up to their game on Saturday with another couple of players showing symptoms on Saturday morning. 
- Some players were ill around their previous two games before Saturday, including the Plymouth cup tie, which they didn’t want to forfeit because they could have missed playing Spurs and the financial reward of that. 

Basically, they’ve lied and lied and have probably infected other teams and their players. 

Very negligent of them knowing they were showing symptoms.

I expect a huge fine to be heading their way...

46 minutes ago, Stan said:

Very negligent of them knowing they were showing symptoms.

I expect a huge fine to be heading their way...

With no revenue from matchdays through spectators, how can you expect clubs at these levels to pay for testing weekly/fortnightly though? It’s going to cripple teams. 

• Administrator
Just now, Smiley Culture said:

With no revenue from matchdays through spectators, how can you expect clubs at these levels to pay for testing weekly/fortnightly though? It’s going to cripple teams. 

I get that. But if they've known those players had symptoms and chose not to isolate them, and carried on with games knowing there was potential symptoms floating around, then they have to take responsibility for that, no?

Are the EFL helping with any funding for clubs to test players/staff?

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

I get that. But if they've known those players had symptoms and chose not to isolate them, and carried on with games knowing there was potential symptoms floating around, then they have to take responsibility for that, no?

Are the EFL helping with any funding for clubs to test players/staff?

I think it’s a difficult situation. They’ll be struggling financially enough and have probably taken a huge risk here and it’s really backfired (I’ve been told a few players’ kids and partners have symptoms, too). 

The lower league clubs aren’t required to mandatory test so I guess it’s up to them as and when, if at all, to test. 

• Administrator

Confirmed off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54248560

Tuesday's Carabao Cup tie between Leyton Orient and Tottenham Hotspur has been called off because a number of O's players have coronavirus.

Several members of Orient's first-team squad returned positive tests after Saturday's draw against Mansfield.

Discussions are ongoing over the implications of not holding the third-round match on Tuesday, with a further update to be provided in due course.

Premier League club Spurs are in action in the Europa League on Thursday.

• Administrator

Moyes & 2 West Ham players have tested positive. Left the stadium as they were informed pre-match.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54258226

West Ham United manager David Moyes and two of the club's players have tested positive for Covid-19.

The Premier League club were informed of the positive tests while preparing for Tuesday's Carabao Cup tie against Hull City at London Stadium.

Moyes, 57, defender Issa Diop, 23, and 24-year-old midfielder Josh Cullen will now be required to self-isolate.

"The manager and both players immediately left the stadium and have returned home," said a club statement.

• Subscriber

Also I can't see that anyone mentioned it above but Spurs actually paid themselves for Leyton Orient's squad and staff to get tested ahead of the game because of their concerns about the virus. The utter madness of wealth inequality in football.

6 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Also I can't see that anyone mentioned it above but Spurs actually paid themselves for Leyton Orient's squad and staff to get tested ahead of the game because of their concerns about the virus. The utter madness of wealth inequality in football.

And Newcastle won't pay for Morecambe players to be tested because we're tight as fuck

• Administrator
Just now, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

And Newcastle won't pay for Morecambe players to be tested because we're tight as fuck

'Spend £50 at Sports Direct, keep your receipt and you get a test half price'.

• Administrator
Just now, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

It means we need to beat Morecambe then Newport to make the Quarter Finals. The club should fold if it doesn't.

Cannabis, is that you?!

• The topic was unpinned

Archived