talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How Will Scottish Clubs Do In Europe Next Season?

It shouldn't happen, regardless of how little of a pre-season they've had. The gap between the two levels shouldn't just disappear because the players were on holiday last month.

They should sack their new manager already :ph34r:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

It shouldn't happen, regardless of how little of a pre-season they've had. The gap between the two levels shouldn't just disappear because the players were on holiday last month.

They should sack their new manager already :ph34r:

Agreed

Progres are ranked 440th so no excuses. I hope he has not put pictures out on his desk of the family yet because it might not be worth taking them out of the box going on this performance... 

In other news.... 

Head coach Paolo Amodio told BBC Scotland: "It's a great event, amazing. I cannot believe that we won 2-0 against Rangers. It's not possible.

"We made history and I can't believe it. It's incredible."

Sooner or later they were bound to get drawn against someone much weaker than them in the competition... :ph34r:

13 hours ago, Dan said:

I'm talking more in terms of it being a distraction to Rangers' season. They've just been mullered by Celtic and finished behind Aberdeen. If they got to the group stages of the Europa League, that's an extra 14 games on top of their domestic season already, 7 of those abroad, and that's assuming they don't get through it.

Part of me wonders if they want to just focus on the league. To lose to a team that came 4th in Luxembourg over two legs is so bad it's genuinely making me wonder if there is more to it.

Maybe I'm doing a massive disservice to Niedercorn but it's an extraordinary result.

You are giving Rangers far too much credit.

A team of Rangers' quality could only dream of the group stages when you look at the calibre of teams they'd have to beat to get there. Teams like Athletic Bilbao and Milan enter at the 3rd qualifying round.

It was an embarrassment of a performance. At least under Warburton, you could see the gameplan. Last night they had no structure, no shape and no clue what they were doing.

2 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

You are giving Rangers far too much credit.

A team of Rangers' quality could only dream of the group stages when you look at the calibre of teams they'd have to beat to get there. Teams like Athletic Bilbao and Milan enter at the 3rd qualifying round.

It was an embarrassment of a performance. At least under Warburton, you could see the gameplan. Last night they had no structure, no shape and no clue what they were doing.

The Portuguese manager, who has overseen a significant summer rebuild added:

"I'm always a positive guy, I never give up. It's a strong moment that we are living and we need to face it, we need all our character, personality and strength.

"I believe in this process, I believe in the players and the work we are going to do.

"It's a strong lesson that we need to learn from now on, and we need to focus on the positives regarding the future. We need to keep working harder and looking forward."

Positives anyone??? Fifty Quid for anyone that can spot a positive on that performance last night... 

7 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Positives anyone??? Fifty Quid for anyone that can spot a positive on that performance last night... 

Now they can concentrate on the league. :whistling::eek:

St Johnstone have now been knocked out by Trakai (a team from Lithuania, not a Star Trek character)

They even had an extra man advantage for the last half an hour of the 2nd leg but couldn't get the goal they needed, conceding at the death instead.

Aberdeen will play next week against mid table team from Bosnia & Herzegovina, NK Siroki Brijeg

5 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Hopefully can get some insight from @True Blue regarding Siroki

The Bosnian league has 12 teams, then it is split to Championship group, and Relegation group. Široki had one of their worst season for a long while. They ended in the bottom part and finished 7th. They defeated 3rd Sarajevo in the Cup final 0-1, and lost 0-1 in the replay. The games settled on penalties which Široki won. They are a small small town in the south but regular in the 1-2nd round of the qualifiers. They are a top 4 team in the national league, but saying all this Aberdeen should have little to nothing to worry about. I am firmly confident that Aberdeen will get the win in both legs.

Aberdeen have been made massive favourites for the game tomorrow night, but I figure it will not be as simple as previous years.

They've always started in the first round, and used it as a sort of warm up before good victories in the second round. This time the other team have 180 minutes of competitive football played already. 

I still expect McInnes to have the team well prepared and ready though.

Rosenborg were mainstays of the Champions League group stages when I was growing up and they always seemed to draw English sides, now they're needing extra time to beat a part-time side from Ireland. Where's it all gone wrong for them?

Minor any major disasters in the away leg, Celtic should progress here. 

They have be put out of Europe in recent years to St Johnstone and Sligo Rovers. And whilst Dundalk had decent European results last year, they have lost some key players in the last year and are no longer the top team in Ireland.

Celtic should be pretty confident about this tie and in fact should be confident against any team in the 'Champions Qualifying' route.

5 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Would qualifying for the group stages give Aberdeen a better chance of a title push in the long run or is it crazy to think like that?

Financially and for the prestige, it would be huge for the club. Able to recruit a higher calibre of player and therefore would raise the level of the club.

Would still be a long way from competing with Celtic in their current form.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived