talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Commentators, Penalties and cop outs

football forum

We're going to exist in dual universes for a second to illustrate a point. I saw another example of this this morning and I'm fucking sick of it, even good commentators are guilty as sin of this fucking diabolical bullshit. 

A player is fouled in the box. He probably must play for United or Liverpool. The ref signals a penalty. 
The player steps up, takes his run up and smashes the ball as hard as he can straight down the middle.

Universe 1. Keeper dives, and can only watch the ball fly past his feet "That's confidently taken by Fernandez!! Sends the keeper the wrong way and there's no saving that!"
Universe 2. Keeper stays still, or reacts to the penalty instead of preempting it. "And a poor effort from Fernandez, he's blasted it straight at the keeper, very easy height for him"

The player steps up, takes his run up and rolls it side foot bottom corner or thereabouts 
Universe 1 "That's a coolly taken penalty, right down low, easy as you like"
Universe 2. "And SAVED! It was a good save but maybe if he'd hit it harder he wouldn't have given the keeper a chance!"

The player steps up, takes his run up and goes for the Panenka 
Universe 1. "Oh dear that's audacious, under so much pressure as well, what a player, ice in those veins an he's tucked it away, the keepers furious"
Universe 2. "Oooooh no, he's gone for the spectacular and the keeper hasn't budged, plucks it out the air easy as you like, this wasn't the time surely, he could have blasted that in and they'd be a goal to the good right now"

I'm gonna say it loud and clear for the people in the fucking back. A shit penalty is a shit penalty whether it ends in the back of the net or not. The ends do not justify the means. If I were a manger, and I had players who trained penalties and on match day they blasted it down the middle or just side footed it at a savable height, no matter if they score or not I'm making that cunt run laps of the fucking training center for wasting his and my time by training to take pens just to serve up that bullshit 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

We're going to exist in dual universes for a second to illustrate a point. I saw another example of this this morning and I'm fucking sick of it, even good commentators are guilty as sin of this fucking diabolical bullshit. 

A player is fouled in the box. He probably must play for United or Liverpool. The ref signals a penalty. 
The player steps up, takes his run up and smashes the ball as hard as he can straight down the middle.

Universe 1. Keeper dives, and can only watch the ball fly past his feet "That's confidently taken by Fernandez!! Sends the keeper the wrong way and there's no saving that!"
Universe 2. Keeper stays still, or reacts to the penalty instead of preempting it. "And a poor effort from Fernandez, he's blasted it straight at the keeper, very easy height for him"

The player steps up, takes his run up and rolls it side foot bottom corner or thereabouts 
Universe 1 "That's a coolly taken penalty, right down low, easy as you like"
Universe 2. "And SAVED! It was a good save but maybe if he'd hit it harder he wouldn't have given the keeper a chance!"

The player steps up, takes his run up and goes for the Panenka 
Universe 1. "Oh dear that's audacious, under so much pressure as well, what a player, ice in those veins an he's tucked it away, the keepers furious"
Universe 2. "Oooooh no, he's gone for the spectacular and the keeper hasn't budged, plucks it out the air easy as you like, this wasn't the time surely, he could have blasted that in and they'd be a goal to the good right now"

I'm gonna say it loud and clear for the people in the fucking back. A shit penalty is a shit penalty whether it ends in the back of the net or not. The ends do not justify the means. If I were a manger, and I had players who trained penalties and on match day they blasted it down the middle or just side footed it at a savable height, no matter if they score or not I'm making that cunt run laps of the fucking training center for wasting his and my time by training to take pens just to serve up that bullshit 

I see where you are coming from but It’s also acknowledging that it’s a battle of the wits. A side foot at a saveable height and the keeper going the opposite way = good penalty in my opinion. I used to pass the ball into the bottom left corner while shaping my run up to make it look like I was going bottom right corner. 

1 minute ago, Toinho said:

I see where you are coming from but It’s also acknowledging that it’s a battle of the wits. A side foot at a saveable height and the keeper going the opposite way = good penalty in my opinion. I used to pass the ball into the bottom left corner while shaping my run up to make it look like I was going bottom right corner. 

If the keeper has dived before you strike the ball, all bets are off. Otherwise, you'd be up against the wall. 

Yeah I made a similar post a while ago. Not about penalties that are saved being shit, just that commentators annoy me...

On 11/04/2019 at 16:11, ...Dan said:

Commentary on penalties always annoys me. For example Santi Cazorla put one down the middle the other day and the keeper didn't move and saved it. The commentators said it was one of the worst penalties they've ever seen. If the keeper would've dived they'd be saying what a cool penalty it was. Penalties are a mind game more than anything...90% of penalties aren't great, they don't go right in the corner, they would be saved if the keeper guesses right, but if they go in commentators say they're good penalties. I don't think much needs to be said about penalties really unless they're in that 10% that are unsaveable.

• Administrator

I agree. Not all penalties scored are the best and if it goes in, it's done the job. On the other hand, a penalty could be saved but sometimes the keeper doesn't get enough credit. Could be a well-placed penalty but instead of saying keeper did well, commentator says 'poor penalty, should have gone harder' etc... 

Archived