talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Would You Sack Mourinho?

All things considered would you sack him?

A sixth place finish in the league and a quarter-final exit in the FA Cup.

Remember he won the League Cup and the prestigious Community Shield. :ph34r:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'll be back in the Champions' League next season after they beat Ajax in the Europa League final. That's a forward step for them. Funnily enough it doesn't seem like that because Mourinho kept making excuses and kept throwing players under the bus so he could rid himself of any blame over why Man Utd didn't walk the league.

So much hypocrisy in the OP

Anyways to answer your question, I think while I can understand the pain of being a United fan, Mourinho didn't do a horrendous job in his first season. Bad, yes but its about consistency. If he repeats this next season, as Cannabis said then my answer would be different.

Managers need at least 2 seasons UNLESS they are doing a horrendous job. This is not the case with Mourinho. I've noticed United's board is very patient with managers so that's definitely a saving grace with the club.

I do think he has declined as manager since his final season at Real Madrid when he fell out with absolutely everyone there. However that has been decline from a super-humanly good manager to merely an excellent one. 

He always wins the title in his second seasons at clubs, Porto in 2004, Chelsea in 2006, Inter in 2010, Real Madrid in 2012 and Chelsea in 2015. After this first seasons at clubs, he is certainly excellent at plugging in the gaps in his squads, and getting his teams speeding out of the blocks in his second seasons. 

They have to challenge for the title next season that's for sure, especially with the amount of money they have spent and will continue to spend. If they are not in serious title contention, then you can say that his second season (and his Man Utd legacy) will have been a failure unless they have an incredible run in the Champions League. 

Just now, Cannabis said:

*was

You could argue that David Moyes and Louis van Gaal weren't given enough time. The only manager in recent years they've stuck to is Sir Alex and who would have sacked him?

David Moyes was doing an absolutely atrocious job though. He was 7th the year after they won the league. Van Gaal lasted 2 seasons which to me is long enough as I mentioned.

34 minutes ago, Aaroncpfc said:

I did feel for Moyes. Anybody who was going to take that job on was destined for failure.

Moyes should have stayed at Everton where he was cherished by many. The temptation to follow in the big boots of Ferguson was too great but who can blame him for trying. It was always going to be difficult as you say.

He might end the season with two trophies, even if it is the mickey mouse double.

Who remembers the media fanfare when Fergie retired about how the "Man Utd way" is to stick with a manager because Fergie was nearly sacked back in the 1940s but he won the FA Cup so they stuck with him and he went on to win shit loads.

What happened to that? Bubble popped and opting for the Chelsea way?

3 hours ago, Happy Blue said:

Spent 200million and fucked it up so yes!  ..he's got a lot of prem experience so zero excuses, it's not like he was learning about the league or anything, his style doesn't work anymore, they should bin him

wow, who would have thought City fans needing excuses to allow Pep more time

If he wins on Weds, and lets face it, United should beat that team of young talent, he gets United in CL.

I would have thought that was the very best United could have reasonably expected and baring in mind, the amount of players he has lost during the season, he has done a good job.

I believe if they did move him on, he wouldnt be unhappy about it.

He looks a shadow of the bloke at Chelsea. Still living in a Hotel away from his family, I am told he isnt enjoying the job.

I think he's been a tad lucky with the teams he's faced in the Europa league.

No Sevilla, the arch-Europa-merchants. No Dortmund ( with Hummels, Gundogan and Mkhitaryan) who were easily late-CL stage quality that season - which is why it was so insane that Liverpool managed to get by them. Also no teams with the recent European record of Villareal or Bilbao, for example, who got pretty far last season. 

1 hour ago, The Liquidator said:

If he wins on Weds, and lets face it, United should beat that team of young talent, he gets United in CL.

I would have thought that was the very best United could have reasonably expected and baring in mind, the amount of players he has lost during the season, he has done a good job.

I believe if they did move him on, he wouldnt be unhappy about it.

He looks a shadow of the bloke at Chelsea. Still living in a Hotel away from his family, I am told he isnt enjoying the job.

He hasn't done a good job I don't think.

They've won the least amount of games they've ever won in a Premier League season having spent a ridiculous amount of money. 

Next season is big for him, his stock is falling in my opinion. 

• Subscriber

I wouldn't because I think they need to break out of this new habit they've developed of changing managers regularly, but I'm not sure I'd have gone with Mourinho in the first place.

I reckon in a years time he will be out of a job though.

1 minute ago, HK85 said:

They'd regret getting rid of him. A winner of trophies wherever he goes and could end up with another two this season. His first year at the club as well. 

To be fair, with the clubs he's managed and the money he's had available, a man off the street could win trophies. 

Hes a good manager but his style of management, systems of play are falling behind the times in my opinion. The game is evolving and I reckon Mourinho is done at the highest level once he leaves United. 

Just now, Cannabis said:

He will manage Portugal after United. He's done at the top level and coaching international football will give him that semi-retirement that he needs. 

That's what I reckon! 

Park the bus tactics at top clubs is well out-dated. 

To be so far behind the top 4 is definitely a disappointment but if they win the Europa I doubt they'll care.

Tbh even if they don't win it they'd be mad to sack him, the season would be a massive underachievement with only themselves to blame but give it a Summer and I'd imagine Mourinho would have a title challenging team made up.

So overall yeah they'd be fucking crackers to sack him whatever happens.

While I don’t agree with Mourinho’s philosophies of publicly throwing players under a bus (there’s attempts at motivation, man-management, and then there’s being a dick), I think he deserves more time at Utd. I also think that Utd fans (and maybe the board, too) need to swallow some pride. The money chucked about in the Premier League now means that it’s no longer a one- or two-horse race for the title like it often was during the Fergie years (even as a Liverpool fan I’m happy to admit that, and before Abramovich it was only realistically Utd and Arsenal). Now, the top-six are all good enough to be considered title-contenders, especially if one of them gets knocked out of Europe early. It’s a tougher league than it was back then, and Utd have to accept that the aura and fear-factor around Old Trafford has burst for opposition teams, who no longer roll over. 

It was always gonna be a poisoned chalice, taking the job after Fergie. If Utd fans truly crave a Fergie mark 2.0, then they must attempt to build longevity. I’m not saying Mourinho is that 2.0, but chopping and changing managers every two seasons isn’t ‘the Utd way’. He’s got another ‘little horse’. 

21 hours ago, LaSambadeStGermain said:

So much hypocrisy in the OP

Anyways to answer your question, I think while I can understand the pain of being a United fan, Mourinho didn't do a horrendous job in his first season. Bad, yes but its about consistency. If he repeats this next season, as Cannabis said then my answer would be different.

Managers need at least 2 seasons UNLESS they are doing a horrendous job. This is not the case with Mourinho. I've noticed United's board is very patient with managers so that's definitely a saving grace with the club.

I think managers are sacked way to early in now days. I think 2 seasons is right. It takes time to build a team.  If after 2 seasons there is no progress then fair enough. I think Bournemouth and Burnley are a good example of what happens when you stick with the manager. 

Archived