Last Meeting
15/07/2020 - Newcastle 1-3 Tottenham

Last Fixture
25/08/2019 - Tottenham 0-1 Newcastle

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

The more they try to make rules black and white, the more blind luck and randomness is a factor in results. Aiming for your opponents hand in the penalty box is going to become a more reliable way of scoring than actually having a shot. It's supposed to be sport, not lottery. Nobody can say that any of the 6-7 mental handballs that have been given are in the spirit of the game.

I do think this will all settle down in a few weeks as defenders learn they have to tuck their arms away, but was defenders making themselves bigger with their arms a big problem in the first place? Just feels like massive overkill to solve a problem that wasn't really one in the first place

I don't by the argument that VAR makes this necessary either. They've made no attempt to define what is and isn't a contact foul, so if we're asking referees to exercise judgement there, why can't we do it with handballs as well?

• Administrator

Just wow. Just seen that handball. Absolutely ridiculous. The rules changed so much and it's totally fucked up. How on earth in any form of the game can that be given as a penalty?! 

• Subscriber

Honestly what is the point of football right now - just so deflated. 

Should have killed the game first half - genuinely should have been 5/6-0 at half time. But either way that decision was a disgrace. It wasn't even a foul in the build up. Then Dier pushed in the back, then doesn't even see the ball. Cant be bothered

Just now, RandoEFC said:

I didn't realise VAR changed the handball rule.

No, but now everything is scutinised because of it and as a result, the rules are being changed.

None of this when football was football and the referee was left to referee the game according to how he saw it. 

Nobody can tell me things are better now!

• Subscriber
32 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

No, but now everything is scutinised because of it and as a result, the rules are being changed.

None of this when football was football and the referee was left to referee the game according to how he saw it. 

Nobody can tell me things are better now!

They should keep technology for the times it works well. For example, our first goal against West Brom last week was initially disallowed for offside but VAR was able to show it came off their defender when the officials couldn't have been sure. There's value in having the technology around.

The people that have tried to change too many rules are the ones messing it up. In fact it's so incompetent that it seems deliberate. I genuinely think if they picked half a dozen of us lot to be in charge of VAR we'd do a better job and have it sorted by the end of the season. Certainly make a better fist of it than the apparent professionals.

From my early observations, it's fucking carnage up here, it really is. At least in the Championship, you knew where you stood rightly or wrongly. You literally stop breathing the moment something controversial happens.

But I'm genuinely confused as to what constitutes handball or not now. After that one at Liverpool on Day 1 when it ricocheted off our defenders leg on to his arm and it was given, my eyes have been really opened.

That penalty today was obviously harsh and shouldn't be given. Dier has no clue where the ball is. All this 'hands in an unnatural position' thing is absolute bullshit.

But they have to remain consistent. For me, between the one we suffered and what Spurs got today, they are two consistent decisions albeit, wrong ones.

This isn't the way we want the game to go. Why we couldn't just stick with ball to hand and leave it at that I don't know but I'll be interested to see how many penalties we have come end of the season compared to previous ones. 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

Blame the rules but VAR is what has caused all this bollocks.

Should never have been implemented at all and i said that from the start.

Just go back to how things were bexause this is just shambolic. Totally ruining the game. 

Obviously you'd blame VAR. 

7 minutes ago, Stan said:

Obviously you'd blame VAR. 

Im not the only one Stan so fuck off calling me out all the time. This is a forum and everyone is allowed an opinion. Just because you run the show, doesnt make you god. 

Fuck sake, millions of people around the country cant stand VAR. 

• The topic was unpinned

Archived