Bundesliga 2020/21 - [3. Spieltag] - 2-4th October, 2020

football forum

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Baum next manager to be sacked?... :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, binder said:

So far the affect of New Manager Effect has not been effective.  

Is that the correct use of effect and affect Grammarly?

The New Manager Effect hasn't affected the team effectively :D 

8 minutes ago, Eco said:

I couldn't imagine a team having a worst start to the year. 8-0 to Bayern, 3-1 to Bremen, and on pace for 6-0 against RB. 

To be fair, Bayern are the best team in the world and RB Leipzig are the 2nd or 3rd best team in Germany. But yeah, Schalke have been very poor so far. They seem to lack ideas going forward and they have been abysmal in defence.

my own inside joke, whenever a manager is fired in the Bundesliga is to say "bring in Felix Magath"-partially based on his managing of almost every team in Germany and partially due to his "unique" managerial style.  This time I mean it.

How gutted Schalke fans must feel after only 3 games. No passion, no heart, and only hope for the extreme of optimists. This has the makings of another manager change, more rash decisions, and a relegation run that will break the hearts of many.

They may turn it around and finish mid-table, but so far, this has got to be one of the worst starts in history for one of the 'bigger' clubs.  

12 minutes ago, Eco said:

How gutted Schalke fans must feel after only 3 games. No passion, no heart, and only hope for the extreme of optimists. This has the makings of another manager change, more rash decisions, and a relegation run that will break the hearts of many.

They may turn it around and finish mid-table, but so far, this has got to be one of the worst starts in history for one of the 'bigger' clubs.  

Actually their start after two matches was the worst of any club ever in the Buli history. Wouldn't be too surprised to learn this is still the case.

4 hours ago, Michael said:

To be fair, Bayern are the best team in the world and RB Leipzig are the 2nd or 3rd best team in Germany. But yeah, Schalke have been very poor so far. They seem to lack ideas going forward and they have been abysmal in defence.

But it's not just that they lost, it's that they don't have passion, and don't seem to care. They have gotten frustrated quickly and look easy to tear apart. 

If they had lost 8-0 to Bayern but showed some signs of life, then I'd think much differently about this team than how when they went down 2-0 against Bayern, it was obvious that as a majority, the team gave up..

Again Bremen, same thing. Bremen scores, and Schalke just looked pissed and like they'd rather be elsewhere. 

I didn't watch today, but I can only imagine the same attitude from them. 

18 minutes ago, Eco said:

But it's not just that they lost, it's that they don't have passion, and don't seem to care. They have gotten frustrated quickly and look easy to tear apart. 

If they had lost 8-0 to Bayern but showed some signs of life, then I'd think much differently about this team than how when they went down 2-0 against Bayern, it was obvious that as a majority, the team gave up..

Again Bremen, same thing. Bremen scores, and Schalke just looked pissed and like they'd rather be elsewhere. 

I didn't watch today, but I can only imagine the same attitude from them. 

They have looked a mess for a while and Wagner should have been gotten rid of a while ago. I am not sure about the new manager Baum, we should give him time to prove himself, but today's performance didn't look promising. They have shown a lack of passion, that's correct, but it's up to the manager to get them pumped up for the cause again. Wagner clearly failed to do that, as they performed poorly and went winless for months on end under him. It remains to be seen if Baum can instil some confidence and passion back into the team.

Schalke actually have some decent players in their team. I think the manager should drop the dead wood, give the team more of a stable shape and have them play to their strengths. On current form, it looks like Schalke will struggle to stay up this season. But if they do have a very bad season, the management has to take a lot of responsibility for that. 

25 minutes ago, Michael said:

They have looked a mess for a while and Wagner should have been gotten rid of a while ago. I am not sure about the new manager Baum, we should give him time to prove himself, but today's performance didn't look promising. They have shown a lack of passion, that's correct, but it's up to the manager to get them pumped up for the cause again. Wagner clearly failed to do that, as they performed poorly and went winless for months on end under him. It remains to be seen if Baum can instil some confidence and passion back into the team.

Schalke actually have some decent players in their team. I think the manager should drop the dead wood, give the team more of a stable shape and have them play to their strengths. On current form, it looks like Schalke will struggle to stay up this season. But if they do have a very bad season, the management has to take a lot of responsibility for that. 

I'm not sure I agree with you here. They have some good pieces, but nothing that would put them ahead of the other teams near the bottom. On strength alone, I thought  of Bielefeld, Union and Mainz were the least talented teams, but Schalke might be if they lose Harit, Kabak  lost a lot of respect for his spitting, and I like Serdar and Paciencia, but they aren't good enough to keep this team up if the heart and passion isn't there. 

I believe they are also getting crushed with injuries, so maybe it'll change soon for them, but I know that if I could, I'd have Augsburg playing Koln, Mainz, and Schalke now as all 3 are on really, REALLY poor form. 

26 minutes ago, Eco said:

I'm not sure I agree with you here. They have some good pieces, but nothing that would put them ahead of the other teams near the bottom. On strength alone, I thought  of Bielefeld, Union and Mainz were the least talented teams, but Schalke might be if they lose Harit, Kabak  lost a lot of respect for his spitting, and I like Serdar and Paciencia, but they aren't good enough to keep this team up if the heart and passion isn't there. 

I believe they are also getting crushed with injuries, so maybe it'll change soon for them, but I know that if I could, I'd have Augsburg playing Koln, Mainz, and Schalke now as all 3 are on really, REALLY poor form. 

Kabak, Sane, Harit, Serdar, Paciencia and Ibisevic are all very good players in their respective positions. If the manager manages to come up with a strategy that plays to their strengths as well as the teams strengths, then Schalke should do much better. But yeah, of course right now they look awful, they have looked poor for most of this year. Their last Bundesliga win was when they defeated Monchengladbach 2-0 on the 17th of January, 2020. Right now they are the team in the worst form, but I would say that they have better players than a team like Bielefeld. Except that Bielefeld are playing much better as a team and they are playing to their strengths. This is not the case at Schalke right now and it hasn't been the case for them for most of 2020.

35 minutes ago, Michael said:

Kabak, Sane, Harit, Serdar, Paciencia and Ibisevic are all very good players in their respective positions. If the manager manages to come up with a strategy that plays to their strengths as well as the teams strengths, then Schalke should do much better. But yeah, of course right now they look awful, they have looked poor for most of this year. Their last Bundesliga win was when they defeated Monchengladbach 2-0 on the 17th of January, 2020. Right now they are the team in the worst form, but I would say that they have better players than a team like Bielefeld. Except that Bielefeld are playing much better as a team and they are playing to their strengths. This is not the case at Schalke right now and it hasn't been the case for them for most of 2020.

I think on a talent level, Bielefeld is on poor is the poor Paderborn team we saw, the difference is that they play much better as a team and proved it week after week. They were unlucky to not get a point today, but I fully expected them to end on 20 points this year but they look gritty enough to make a push to remain in the league. 

Schalke on a talent level are above the likes of Bielefeld, Union, Augsburg, Mainz, and maybe Koln. 

Difference being that three of those teams are playing well as a unit (Arminia, Union, and Augsburg), while the others are looking disjointed and lifeless. 

3 minutes ago, Eco said:

I think on a talent level, Bielefeld is on poor is the poor Paderborn team we saw, the difference is that they play much better as a team and proved it week after week. They were unlucky to not get a point today, but I fully expected them to end on 20 points this year but they look gritty enough to make a push to remain in the league. 

Schalke on a talent level are above the likes of Bielefeld, Union, Augsburg, Mainz, and maybe Koln. 

Difference being that three of those teams are playing well as a unit (Arminia, Union, and Augsburg), while the others are looking disjointed and lifeless. 

Yes, that's what I said, Bielefeld play very well as a team and that could serve them very well this season(possibly help them avoid the drop), if they continue the performances that we have seen from them so fa

I completely agree with your assessment of the teams down at the bottom of the table. Augsburg, Bielefeld and Union Berlin are all playing very well as a team unit. Mainz have looked terrible so far, despite having quality forwards such as Mateta and Quaison. Koln have looked very poor both in a tactical and strategic sense and they seem limited when they attack, usually only resorting to crosses for their centre forward Sebastian Andersson.

While we have already discussed Schalke's problems, I personally think that both Schalke and Koln have the more talented players out of all the six teams that we have just mentioned. But as we both know, that's no guarantee to keep both of them up if they continue to perform the way they are currently playing.

1 minute ago, Michael said:

Yes, that's what I said, Bielefeld play very well as a team and that could serve them very well this season(possibly help them avoid the drop), if they continue the performances that we have seen from them so fa

I completely agree with your assessment of the teams down at the bottom of the table. Augsburg, Bielefeld and Union Berlin are all playing very well as a team unit. Mainz have looked terrible so far, despite having quality forwards such as Mateta and Quaison. Koln have looked very poor both in a tactical and strategic sense and they seem limited when they attack, usually only resorting to crosses for their centre forward Sebastian Andersson.

While we have already discussed Schalke's problems, I personally think that both Schalke and Koln have the more talented players out of all the six teams that we have just mentioned. But as we both know, that's no guarantee to keep both of them up if they continue to perform the way they are currently playing.

A whole conversation on relegation and Werder Bremen not even mentioned. 

@nudge and @Devil-Dick Willie are buzzing. 

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Eco said:

I'd say that you underrate the quality of Bielefeld players somewhat, as I see them as head and shoulders above last season's Paderborn, especially in terms of actually being capable of playing football. Ortega, Klos, Hartel, Prietl are all very solid players that I trust to perform at the Bundesliga level (Voglsammler too, but he's out injured for quite a while), the likes of Edmundsson, Gebauer, Schiplock are not bad backup options either, and they also managed to get in some attacking players with exciting potential like Doan and Cordova on loan. Their defence might not look impressive on paper, but it's still worth noting that they barely conceded last season in 2. Liga and managed to keep the core of the back four intact. I could definitely see Bielefeld pulling a Union this season and finishing up higher than expected and avoiding relegation, especially if they strengthen their midfield with one more defensively-minded player as they intended to.

• The topic was unpinned

Archived