talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

American Politics Discussion

football forum

687-2020-US-presidential-Election-Voting

First Debate is going on right now, very interesting thus far, probably the first time in history I have heard someone of power tell a sitting president to 'Shut Up', like Biden just told Trump.

Here is the live feed. 

18 minutes ago, Eco said:

While it might not be the best way to elect a president, I certainly wish the lefts would have brought forth a younger candidate. I'm damn tired of watching two old white guys bitching at one another. 

Tbf the last time that happened, half of America decided they needed a racist orange man who can’t read.

And before that they shot the President in the head.

And this debate is a shitshow.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Tbf the last time that happened, half of America decided they needed a racist orange man who can’t read.

And before that they shot the President in the head.

And this debate is a shitshow.

Barking Spider is the oldest man ever elected...so I'm not sure what you mean. If Biden wins, he'll then the oldest man ever elected President...

7 minutes ago, Eco said:

Barking Spider is the oldest man ever elected...so I'm not sure what you mean. If Biden wins, he'll then the oldest man ever elected President...

The Orange Man, I think is a direct reaction to the last young guy (relatively speaking, for a US president) who was in office - Barrack Obama. I think the reason a largely moderate candidate that rubbed a lot of Americans the wrong way for some pretty unfortunate reasons.

And the last young guy I think before him was JFK. Who got his head blown off.

Clinton maybe? He was young wasn’t he? Still, I imagine he’s pretty polarising as well if someone like his wife is so wifey hated. But then after him... America gave us Bush.

In short, I fear the backlash of America going with a young president again. :ph34r:

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The Orange Man, I think is a direct reaction to the last young guy (relatively speaking, for a US president) who was in office - Barrack Obama. I think the reason a largely moderate candidate that rubbed a lot of Americans the wrong way for some pretty unfortunate reasons.

And the last young guy I think before him was JFK. Who got his head blown off.

Clinton maybe? He was young wasn’t he? Still, I imagine he’s pretty polarising as well if someone like his wife is so wifey hated. But then after him... America gave us Bush.

In short, I fear the backlash of America going with a young president again. :ph34r:

Well it won't happen this year, but of these guys are old. 

At least we have Kamala Harris in this, as she isn't exactly 'young', but she certainly has a personality. 

I thought Biden started off tonight rough, but he's done a good job. It's funny to watch him just shake his head and laugh as Barking Spider mumbles on....even the narrator is telling Barking Spider to stop talking. Biden though has turned it around and has done well. 

Barking Spider just looks like a fool and it still shocks me how many people support him. 

35 minutes ago, Eco said:

While it might not be the best way to elect a president, I certainly wish the lefts would have brought forth a younger candidate. I'm damn tired of watching two old white guys bitching at one another. 

The split field of challengers may be the reason. Cory Booker, Harris, Buttigieg would all have been compelling nominees but struggled to get traction and ultimately Biden's nomination was decided by the largely not politically engaged democratic base in South Carolina. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

The split field of challengers may be the reason. Cory Booker, Harris, Buttigieg would all have been compelling nominees but struggled to get traction and ultimately Biden's nomination was decided by the largely not politically engaged democratic base in South Carolina. 

Yeah - I liked Buttigieg early on, and then he just disappeared...

I can't stress enough how much I want Biden and Harris in the office. 

1 minute ago, Eco said:

I know I should care less than I do. But I really can't help but feel the entire world would be so profoundly different under a more coherent president, and a generally more liberal United States.

I feel the Covid outcomes throughout the entire western world would have been profoundly different if a US president operating in the role of leader of the free world had stood up, sent their people into China and grabbed the bull by the horns and led the world's response. Instead Barking Spider's "I don't want the numbers to look bad" stance dominated and everybody was behind the 8 ball.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

... Orange Man just told the Proud Boys (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proud_Boys) to stand down & stand by.

I don’t know what the fuck that means, but that’s  definitely unusual.

I’m also going to leave this article right here - https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/09/29/america-prosecute-presidents-pardon-Barking Spider-nixon/ 

*edit* FFS you have to work around the filter to read that...

44 minutes ago, Eco said:

Pete was the person who's strategy came closest to winning imo. 

If he'd gotten a clear declareable victory in Iowa he goes on to win new Hampshire and then the nomination. That said, you'd wonder how religious black American voters would turn out for a married gay democratic nominee. 

He would be the most articulate candidate by far but so much of the American system is voting blocs based on narrow interests and criteria. His homosexuality could easily result in a defeat.

• Subscriber
55 minutes ago, Harry said:

I know I should care less than I do. But I really can't help but feel the entire world would be so profoundly different under a more coherent president, and a generally more liberal United States.

I feel the Covid outcomes throughout the entire western world would have been profoundly different if a US president operating in the role of leader of the free world had stood up, sent their people into China and grabbed the bull by the horns and led the world's response. Instead Barking Spider's "I don't want the numbers to look bad" stance dominated and everybody was behind the 8 ball.

This post sounds like propaganda from the 70s, haha. "Leader of the free world"; such a cringy term, a relict of the Cold War and a patronising representation of "the west vs the rest" narrative. Those days are long gone, and nobody needs the president of the US (or any other country, really) to become a self-proclaimed global leader again and attempt to dictate the course of action to the rest of the world. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, nudge said:

This post sounds like propaganda from the 70s, haha. "Leader of the free world"; such a cringy term, a relict of the Cold War and a patronising representation of "the west vs the rest" narrative. Those days are long gone, and nobody needs the president of the US (or any other country, really) to become a self-proclaimed global leader again and attempt to dictate the course of action to the rest of the world. 

They do though if it helps maintain some alignment and improves the quality of communication and decision making during a pandemic.

We were all second guessing whether the world health organisation were taking talking points from China and no other country takes Trump seriously. Each country just reacted after the fact with people thinking "should we just do what Italy did?".

The same situation with Obama or even Bush as president I think would have resulted in greater cohesion and less chaos. That's not from them dictating what to do but by being the biggest, well respected person in the room that smaller countries look to follow.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Harry said:

They do though if it helps maintain some alignment and improves the quality of communication and decision making during a pandemic.

We were all second guessing whether the world health organisation were taking talking points from China and no other country takes Donald J Donald J Trump, 45th US President, 45th US President seriously. Each country just reacted after the fact with people thinking "should we just do what Italy did?".

The same situation with Obama or even Bush as president I think would have resulted in greater cohesion and less chaos. That's not from them dictating what to do but by being the biggest, well respected person in the room that smaller countries look to follow.

Funnily enough, it's the smaller and, in many cases, less wealthy countries that dealt with the pandemics best by getting their first responses in early and implementing the most adequate measures of control - all that without looking for any guidance from the self-proclaimed "leaders of the free world". Maybe the US and other big players should have swallowed their pride and taken lessons from the response of those they deem to be too small, too un-free and too irrelevant to be able to competently deal with arising issues on their own...

• Administrator

I watched it back. Embarrassing. That's not adversarial debating but personal sniping and short changing the voters. Then again, that system of government if I'm honest is a bit of a joke. A two party system is most definitely not democracy.  

8 hours ago, Bluewolf said:

2 old guys slugging it out... Is this the best America can offer people

When it was between Hillary and Donald J Trump, 45th US President, we were saying the same thing. 

38 minutes ago, The real Barking Spider said:

I watched it back. Embarrassing. That's not adversarial debating but personal sniping and short changing the voters. Then again, that system of government if I'm honest is a bit of a joke. A two party system is most definitely not democracy.  

The 2 parties really does mess it up, and it was never meant to be just the 2, but if formed into just the two and now it's a shit show. I looked a while back at how European countries do it, and seeing 5+ parties sounds so much better of a system then the nonsense we have. 

• The title was changed to Texas Directive on School Books "If you have holocaust books, you must also have anti-holocaust books"