talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

American Politics Discussion

football forum

This George Santos stuff hitting the news over the last week and a half is pretty mental.

This republican was elected in 2022 to be a congressman for one of New York's districts and he's lied about... so much of his life and it's all coming out now. He's lied about where he went to uni, he's lied about working at Goldman Sachs, he's lied about his grandmother dying in a concentration camp and being Jewish (his family isn't Jewish, not even a little), he claimed his mum died on September 11th, 2001 at the world trade centre (she died in 2016). He even lied about being gay.

I've always felt that politicians have massive issues in lacking integrity. Especially amongst the modern American right wing. But this is mental and is something unlike anything I've ever seen before. 

7 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This George Santos stuff hitting the news over the last week and a half is pretty mental.

This republican was elected in 2022 to be a congressman for one of New York's districts and he's lied about... so much of his life and it's all coming out now. He's lied about where he went to uni, he's lied about working at Goldman Sachs, he's lied about his grandmother dying in a concentration camp and being Jewish (his family isn't Jewish, not even a little), he claimed his mum died on September 11th, 2001 at the world trade centre (she died in 2016). He even lied about being gay.

I've always felt that politicians have massive issues in lacking integrity. Especially amongst the modern American right wing. But this is mental and is something unlike anything I've ever seen before. 

Him and boris would get along

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Waylander said:

Does that mean Biden also has to release his tax returns too?

Already did for last year.

24 years worth of tax returns released last year...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/disclosures/2022/04/15/the-president-and-vice-president-release-their-2021-tax-returns/

• Upvote 1

How much detail do these tax returns go to, I would be interested in income sources?

Such as salary and employer and investment income and sources.

The interesting one would be Pelosi especially based on the investment scam she recently pulled off which would be inside dealing though allowed there due to a loophole.

On 30/12/2022 at 11:13, Waylander said:

Does that mean Biden also has to release his tax returns too?

He already did before running for President.

Trump's the first president since Nixon to not release his tax returns. It's sort of become the normal practice for running for president, to demonstrate transparency.

I think what I was most shocked to learn about Trump's tax returns is that he, as an individual that is not a citizen of China, has a Chinese bank account. It is incredibly difficult for foreigners to open bank accounts in China, even for people who live and work in China. It definitely poses questions of how the fuck he managed to get that account.

• Upvote 1

On 30/12/2022 at 11:31, Waylander said:

How much detail do these tax returns go to, I would be interested in income sources?

Such as salary and employer and investment income and sources.

The interesting one would be Pelosi especially based on the investment scam she recently pulled off which would be inside dealing though allowed there due to a loophole.

Congress passed a law a long long long time ago that says members of Congressmen/women and Senators can make trades based off their insider knowledge without getting penalised for insider trading - so long as they report those trades within 3 months of making them. So it's not so much illegal as it is blatant corruption.

I was shocked though when a few senators last year were exposed of having made insider trades without having reported those trades. Imagine you have the ability to make money using insider knowledge nobody else in the country can do, so long as you follow those rules... and you decide not to follow those rules. And funnily enough... they remained unpunished for crimes that would send normal people (even wealthy people in the US) to prison, just because they had leadership positions. I think those people are more concerning than Pelosi - Pelosi is playing the corruption game, but she's playing by the rules like the rest of the corrupt leaders of the US.

The US's biggest problem in politics is the incredible lack of accountability. I don't think any Congressman or Senator should be allowed to be making any trades tbh, they should be forced to have their investments held in a blind trust managed by someone independent. It is a disgrace they are allowed to benefit from a system in ways that nobody else in the country can benefit from.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Harry said:

I had no idea that was allowed. What a terrible law. I'm sure it would be stamped out in most other countries but will have no hope in America

The US has serious issues with effective laws policing the people who write the laws - there are some things about US politics I just expect to remain corrupt forever because it's been institutionalised in their politics for so long. Allowing these people to use insider information to make trades is a holdover from the laws passed in 1934 to try to prevent another great depression from happening. The requirement that senators/house members have to make the required disclosures is a relatively new invention, that Obama and the democrats pushed for. It was meant to "stop insider trading" but in effect all they could pass was something that just required political leaders to disclose when they had made insider trades, because there was not enough support to outright end it.

It's like the lobbying laws in the US, which promote institutionalised bribery. The only reason it's not considered outright corruption is because the corrupt wrote the laws, then the corrupt picked the supreme court justices that would make decisions in cases like Citizens United, or in the cases regarding Gerrymandering (which basically allows parties to break up a state in ways that's favourable to their election chances... rather than breaking up districts into anything logical). It's one reason why I've long felt calling America the "leader of the free world" is a bit stupid... Free countries shouldn't be institutionalising corruption.

Day 1 of the GOP being back in charge of the House of Representatives... and it's already a circus. Republicans can't even successfully elect their leader to be speaker of the house on day 1. In the second round of voting... the democrats leader, Hakeem Jeffries, got more votes than the republican leader Kevin McCarthy. And that's after Kevin McCarthy made loads of insane concessions to the more radical wing of the GOP to try to secure the votes.

I wonder if the GOP will turn to Gym Jordan to be their next leader.

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He already did before running for President.

Trump's the first president since Nixon to not release his tax returns. It's sort of become the normal practice for running for president, to demonstrate transparency.

I think what I was most shocked to learn about Trump's tax returns is that he, as an individual that is not a citizen of China, has a Chinese bank account. It is incredibly difficult for foreigners to open bank accounts in China, even for people who live and work in China. It definitely poses questions of how the fuck he managed to get that account.

Especially considering how insulting he was to them during COVID. Did they freeze his account at all? 

11 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

The more you know 🤣

Yesterday I was kind of intrigued to know if the GOP would pick a guy who's got a pretty questionable past to lead them in congress. Looks like, thankfully, that won't be the case as the American far-right has moved onto someone else they want to be their party leader in congress (although tbh I have no idea if that guy is better or worse than the guy implicated with noncing).

It's kind of interesting to see the sort of chaos that we had in the UK with finding a party leader spill over into America. Apparently the last time things were like this was just 4 years before America's civil war broke out...

5 hours ago, Harry said:

It might be easier to get 5 sane Republican votes for Hakeem Jeffries rather than 16 insane Republican votes for McCarthy.... Possibly if the dems swapped Jeffries with John Kasich or a Cheney type Republican.

It’ll never happen - it’s career suicide for any republicans breaking ranks and working with the democrats for something more moderate.

Same reason most republicans who hold office that speak up against other republicans are on the way out of their jobs rather than desperately trying to cling to them.

I also don’t think it’s advantageous to the Dems to do anything to help any republicans, even moderates, out of the mess they’ve made. Nor should democrats trust any republicans talking about compromise after the Obama scotus nomination stuff.

All this does is make house republicans look like clowns. Which tbf is insulting to clowns, because at least clowns know what they’re doing.