talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Ross Barkley Signs on Loan For Aston Villa

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Literally every Everton fan in the land said when he left he'd be at West Ham or Newcastle after 18 months or so. It's taken a bit longer than expected but Aston Villa certainly fit into a similar category now that they've returned to the top flight. Barkley will never have a better season than that first one under Martinez when he was about 20.

• Subscriber

Seems a lot of Villa fans are surprised by this one judging by Twitter. I don't think it's a surprise for most though as it's apparently been in the works for a few weeks. I think perhaps it's a surprise as they weren't expecting it to actually happen? I know that both of the Villa fans I spoke to for the Villa episode of my podcast (out now ;)) mentioned it briefly and said they'd be happy if Dean Smith managed to pull it off.

5 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Literally every Everton fan in the land said when he left he'd be at West Ham or Newcastle after 18 months or so. It's taken a bit longer than expected but Aston Villa certainly fit into a similar category now that they've returned to the top flight. Barkley will never have a better season than that first one under Martinez when he was about 20.

Yeah but you lot thought Rodwell was good. Not a trustworthy bunch. 

• Subscriber
31 minutes ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

Yeah but you lot thought Rodwell was good. Not a trustworthy bunch. 

Nope, we pissed ourselves then too when City paid us £15m for him about 2 years after we realised he was shite. Add John Stones to the list as well even though we bought him first. Dan Gosling still stealing a career at Championship/Premiership level for a decade after scoring one goal against Liverpool in a cup game.

The thing with all of these players is the Rooney factor which seems to finally have worn off. The media were obsessed for a decade or more with the next Rooney coming out of our academy. It's like it took them realising upon his return to the club that in the entire team he'd been at Man Utd we hadn't actually produced any very good players since and the penny finally dropped. One first team goal as an Everton academy player used to be enough to buy you about 3 years of being a "future England captain", and hilariously enough to earn the club a 900% bonus on the actual value of those players.

Now the weird quirk in the transfer market seems to have moved towards senior Liverpool players that don't even make the bench getting an extra zero or two accidentally added to their transfer fees instead of failed Everton academy players. I wonder which demographic of players will be next...

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I remember every evertonian sucking Barkley and Rodwell cock, on the old forum. Every fan always suddenly 'doesn't rate" their players when they're getting sold up river. 

It's the form is temporary, class is permanent paradigm. Flash in the pan players inevitably fall by the wayside. 

Barkley is a shame, I remember his name being whispered in the same sentences as Rooney's when he first came on the scene, he suffered a major injury very young and don't think that helped him. Still bags of ability, but unlike the perennially ridiculed Rooney, Barkley does not possess enough intelligence to really channel his ability. 

He's such an enigmatic player, bit like Walcott for me. You wait and wait...and wait again for him to kick on.

He has to make it click soon and this is a great chance for him at a club where the pressure will be less.

It seems a win win all round. Chelsea won't start him, they need him off the books. Villa were crying out for more quality in depth after last year and his addition will provide that.

And Barkley should get to play regular games at a club for the season and improve his chances of making the Euro's next summer. Given the lack of genuine quality midfielders we have, a place is really up for grabs so this could be quite a defining season for him.

It's a poor move from us, I started to warm to him a bit this year. He's a decent squad player for us and he's had some decent performances this year. Loftus-Cheek is the one that should be going out on loan as it's paramount he gets more game time, I think Barkley can be of more use to us this season.

Conte signed:

Morata, Bakayoko, Batshuayi, Drinkwater, Kanté, Luiz, Rudiger, Zappacosta, Alonso, Emerson, Giroud, Barkley.

We're still clearing up that mess, all of these have now been sold or are out on loan somewhere, with the only two good signings being in bold. I would add maybe Barkley as a good signing as he was quite cheap.

51 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

It's a poor move from us, I started to warm to him a bit this year. He's a decent squad player for us and he's had some decent performances this year. Loftus-Cheek is the one that should be going out on loan as it's paramount he gets more game time, I think Barkley can be of more use to us this season.

Conte signed:

Morata, Bakayoko, Batshuayi, Drinkwater, Kanté, Luiz, Rudiger, Zappacosta, Alonso, Emerson, Giroud, Barkley.

We're still clearing up that mess, all of these have now been sold or are out on loan somewhere, with the only two good signings being in bold. I would add maybe Barkley as a good signing as he was quite cheap.

Ruben was so poor against Brighton I would be surprised any Premier League club would gamble on him for the season.

Barkley much like Wilshire suffered from being a technically gifted Englishman when there were so few around, higher expectations upon them, using their names in a hope we could one day compete with Spain and Germany.

It’s a shame he’s never really found that peak that everyone said he had in him, but I think this is a great signing for Villa and Barkley. He gets game time under a manager whose gameplan suits him, and Villa get a midfielder who can help propel them up the table and work in partnership with Grealish

Bit of a shame in many ways... Great deal for Villa in my opinion.. Barkley is just the kind of player that gives a side drive and purpose from midfield but sadly it's a bit hit and miss at times and he can be prone to making the wrong decisions on the ball and with all the additions I doubt very much that he would be getting hardly any game time with us this season.. 

What I did like about him though and this may be open for debate with some but you always felt like he could make something happen in a game but he was so inconsistent with it that it was rare for that to actually happen... Like this for example..  A great driving run putting the defenders on the back foot which is everything you want from a midfielder only it would be nice for that to happen 7 out of 10 times rather than just the 3 or 4 times... 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Devil-Dick Willie said:

I remember every evertonian sucking Barkley and Rodwell cock, on the old forum. Every fan always suddenly 'doesn't rate" their players when they're getting sold up river. 

I'm not having that.

Barkley at least stayed in the first team despite generally flattering to deceive. He spent a few seasons where he was close enough to a breakthrough that you could still have some hope of him reaching his potential but he'd had a particularly poor season before Chelsea were sniffing around. He left without any sympathy from us because he basically shook hands with Chelsea on delaying the transfer by half a season because of his injury so that they could get away with paying us less when he had 6 months on his contract.

Rodwell was a different kettle of fish altogether. Hyped up for a few months before he got found out, spent two years injured then City for some reason paid £15m for him. Such a small fry on Everton's radar that I couldn't even tell you whether he's at Sheffield United or Sunderland or what now whereas Barkley will be hated by Everton fans for the rest of his career.

• 7 months later...

He really is just one of those players that never kicks on with their development at all.

He's really not improved a whole lot (if at all) from when he first broke through into the first team at Everton. There will be moments and times where you think "well that was really good - if only he could develop that kind of consistency." But he's never developed that consistency anywhere at all.

I wonder what it is. Is it a lack of work ethic? Is football intelligence just difficult to coach? Are the moments where he looks immense just that - only moments - and he's not got the ability to perform like that consistently?

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

He really is just one of those players that never kicks on with their development at all.

He's really not improved a whole lot (if at all) from when he first broke through into the first team at Everton. There will be moments and times where you think "well that was really good - if only he could develop that kind of consistency." But he's never developed that consistency anywhere at all.

I wonder what it is. Is it a lack of work ethic? Is football intelligence just difficult to coach? Are the moments where he looks immense just that - only moments - and he's not got the ability to perform like that consistently?

Take away the pace and has he ever looked that good? Not sure it’s a development thing, just not the player United thought they were buying

Just now, Danny said:

Take away the pace and has he ever looked that good? Not sure it’s a development thing, just not the player United thought they were buying

Are you talking about Daniel James or Ross Barkley? xD

Ross Barkley's got some physicality about him, but there have been some goals and some passes where I thought "wow that was actually pretty brilliant" - but usually any time he'd had a good game for Chelsea or Everton (I barely watched Villa this season) he'd be bang average for a few matches after his good performance.

Archived