talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

RIP Helen Reddy

football forum

I'm sure our Aussie mates will have something to say today about the sad news that we have lost Helen Reddy.  She came on to the music scene with a bang after winning a competition in Melbourne and I always thought that the young Kylie in neighbours had taken her role and attitude from that shown by Helen with her 'Woman' smash.  There have been a few Aussie female stars who have shone over the years, but prior to Helen they always seemed to follow the US and UK hit makers - even the Gibbs were British so they don't really count as genuine Aussies.

She set the trend for many later hard-headed women - Suzie Quatro and even Italian super star Gianna Nanini who demoralised her Maschi in the way Helen would have revelled.  Not much from her recently, but she will be missed by us oldies.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

R.I.P. Helen, you recorded the song "I am a woman"  which was a no 1 hit and made you and a load of ladies around the world proud to be a woman, I had that single when it was released in Melbourne many moons ago, my thoughts go out to you and all the loved ones you left behind. 

11 hours ago, Spike said:

Just looked at her career. Not popular at all in Australia and spent most of her life in the USA.

Also on the topic of the GIbbs @SchalkeUK one has American citizenship, one has British, and one has Australian

Where you end up is your choice - where you start is destined to be your birthplace for ever - The Isle of Man has long celebrated their famous sons - although living for a time in Manchester that also tried to claim some credit for their upbringing. Had it not been for the move to Aussie perhaps there would have been no Bee Gees.

3 hours ago, SchalkeUK said:

Where you end up is your choice - where you start is destined to be your birthplace for ever - The Isle of Man has long celebrated their famous sons - although living for a time in Manchester that also tried to claim some credit for their upbringing. Had it not been for the move to Aussie perhaps there would have been no Bee Gees.

They spent a lot of time recording in California

Archived