talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

MLB 2020

football forum

46 minutes ago, Spike said:

I didn't watch this season because I'm boycotting the Cubs

Well White Sox were eliminated after winning the first game so that sucks. (It was only Best of 3)

Braves swept so they are onto the next round

• 1 year later...

Great night last night as Braves defeated the cheating Astros in Game 1. 

Game 2 is currently going on, and Braves are down 5-2, and this team is special enough is many ways so I'm not too worried. 

Chop Chop 

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Padres didn’t win but I went to the first playoff game

77E651E7-6D9F-4361-AAD8-E4EAFF7C217C.jpeg

Three and a half hours of the batter adjusting his gloves. Baseball really is the worst sport xD Man, I hope they didn't fleece you for those seats.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Spike said:

Three and a half hours of the batter adjusting his gloves. Baseball really is the worst sport xD Man, I hope they didn't fleece you for those seats.

I honestly don't really give a shit about baseball, but I was offered a chance to go to a playoff game and the atmosphere was pretty cool as far as American sport goes. Tickets weren't too expensive.

I think baseball's better live than watching it at home, where it just puts me to fucking sleep. It's honestly better listening to it on the radio than watching it imo... but I also think that about cricket. But it's definitely more fun live.

Philidelphia's massacring the Padres now though :(

oh shit maybe not, 2 back to back home runs :) 

4 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I honestly don't really give a shit about baseball, but I was offered a chance to go to a playoff game and the atmosphere was pretty cool as far as American sport goes. Tickets weren't too expensive.

I think baseball's better live than watching it at home, where it just puts me to fucking sleep. It's honestly better listening to it on the radio than watching it imo... but I also think that about cricket. But it's definitely more fun live.

Philidelphia's massacring the Padres now though :(

oh shit maybe not, 2 back to back home runs :) 

Beisbol is awful live because beer is marked up 2000%. What is good, is buying a ten dollar ticket and then walking to the $200 ticket seats and chilling out,

13 hours ago, Spike said:

Beisbol is awful live because beer is marked up 2000%. What is good, is buying a ten dollar ticket and then walking to the $200 ticket seats and chilling out,

Eh it’s like that for going to any big sporting even, and even big concerts (even ones that aren’t at stadiums) in the US. Can’t really get too upset about that if it’s to be expected.

I had fun - full stadium, decent seats and the stadium was actually lively (well for a baseball game - because like you say… it’s not the most interesting sport), Petco has good food at the stadium too, so it’s not like paying $7.50 for the world’s shittiest hotdog like I experienced at the SF ballpark when I went with my wife.

After that football team left, they’ve been very big here & San Diego sides have generally been shit - this is one of their biggest sporting moments in the history of any sport in the city.

Sounds like the game yesterday would have been more fun to go to, as it ended 5-8 to the Padres. But whoever was in charge of scheduling it decided to put it right in the middle of the workday for the home city…

I don’t really care for the sport. It’s just glorified rounders tbh. But I like the team, I hope they win something for the city.

while the Astros are our division rivals I'm going for them over Phillies as the Phillies are just another pay to win franchise while the Astros are probably the best run franchise.  it is hard to argue that a 300m contract is bad but I am sure Garrett Cole regrets leaving the Astros

• 5 months later...
  • Subscriber
2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Baseball is a weird sport (to me) in that I really don’t like the sport itself at all but I really like the Padres

Can never get to like that sport but it is big in the USA, the wife says it just reminds her of Rounders she would play when she was young. 

Rounders

340385290_1928806194146878_7713074590815

340618850_1923058958030258_2111482179747

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Yeah its basically the same terrible sport

I wouldn't say I dislike American Grid Iron football, but I won't watch it because of all the adverts, when you think about it, it's rugby with helmets and padding.

On 10/04/2023 at 08:27, CaaC (John) said:

I wouldn't say I dislike American Grid Iron football, but I won't watch it because of all the adverts, when you think about it, it's rugby with helmets and padding.

It's a bit different to rugby - rugby's closer to our football imo, in that the ball is in play more and the play is more dynamic than it is static. US football's much more static, because each team basically has 2 teams within them (you don't see the attacking players and the defensive players of a team on the field at the same time). American football looks really similar to rugby on the surface, but imo it's a very different game. In rugby all players can handle the ball, which isn't the case in US football. Blocking's a huge part of US football, that's not allowed in rugby. Forward passes from the quarterback are a huge part of American football, can't do that in rugby either.

US football was actually designed to mimic trench warfare, so it's a lot more "turn based" feeling than rugby or our football is. It's a weird sport, it's pretty entertaining if you get into it... but it takes some effort, imo, trying to get into it.

With baseball it's another thing entirely! I think baseball is a rubbish sport xD - it's painful to watch on TV, if I want to follow the Padres it's easier for me to watch a summary of the game that's going on through google than it is to watch a match on TV. It's great in person though - especially at San Diego's stadium, which is a really really nice stadium. But honestly I don't understand what's happening a lot of the time xD - but I've been going to more and more games because I've got a few friends with season tickets.

• Upvote 1