talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Honda Leaving F1 After 2021

football forum

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Tommy said:

So, it's me with the silly questions again. What does that mean exactly? Red Bull can use their facilities? Honda still builds stuff for them but in the background? They give them the pieces and the Red Bull engineers have to out the engines together like a Puzzle? xD

Essentially, they take over the intellectual property rights for the next three years - meaning that they get all the blueprints, development data, etc. The actual assembly and servicing will be done in-house from 2022; Red Bull are adapting one of their building into an engine shop, getting all the hardware, testbenches, etc. I'm sure they will have Honda assissting them in some sort of an advisory role (and Red Bull will pretty much re-employ people currently working in Honda's R&D Department at Milton Keynes), but essentially, Red Bull will be the ones assembling and servicing the engine. That's one of the main reasons why they needed engine freeze soo badly; they should be able to assemble engines using blueprints and existing data acquired from Honda and make slight tweaks/optimisation, but they definitely lack proper development capabilities. It is rumoured that Porsche will build engines for Red Bull under new regulations from 2025...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, nudge said:

Essentially, they take over the intellectual property rights for the next three years - meaning that they get all the blueprints, development data, etc. The actual assembly and servicing will be done in-house from 2022; Red Bull are adapting one of their building into an engine shop, getting all the hardware, testbenches, etc. I'm sure they will have Honda assissting them in some sort of an advisory role (and Red Bull will pretty much re-employ people currently working in Honda's R&D Department at Milton Keynes), but essentially, Red Bull will be the ones assembling and servicing the engine. That's one of the main reasons why they needed engine freeze soo badly; they should be able to assemble engines using blueprints and existing data acquired from Honda and make slight tweaks/optimisation, but they definitely lack proper development capabilities. It is rumoured that Porsche will build engines for Red Bull under new regulations from 2025...

That is so stereotypical Japanese nice from Honda. They bow out but don't leave their partners hanging. Now Red Bull-Porsche... oof. :censored:

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

That is so stereotypical Japanese nice from Honda. They bow out but don't leave their partners hanging. Now Red Bull-Porsche... oof. :censored:

Well, I'm sure they are not doing it for free :7_sweat_smile: 

As for Porsche, I'd love to see them back in F1, so I'm very biased... But it's just a rumour at this point; it seems Red Bull might also be keen to develop and build their own engines in the future past 2024.

4 minutes ago, nudge said:

Well, I'm sure they are not doing it for free :7_sweat_smile: 

As for Porsche, I'd love to see them back in F1, so I'm very biased... But it's just a rumour at this point; it seems Red Bull might also be keen to develop and build their own engines in the future past 2024.

Either way it's still nice. And I'm sure Red Bullshit got the money. :ph34r: 

Porsche returning to F1 would be inconic. Not sure if it's really possible where everyone has to cut costs nowadays. 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Either way it's still nice. And I'm sure Red Bullshit got the money. :ph34r: 

Porsche returning to F1 would be inconic. Not sure if it's really possible where everyone has to cut costs nowadays. 

Hopefully, the change of regulations in favour of simpler engines will open the door for new teams as well as engine suppliers... 

24 minutes ago, nudge said:

Hopefully, the change of regulations in favour of simpler engines will open the door for new teams as well as engine suppliers... 

Can't wait to finally see Stefan GP on the grid. :ph34r:

• 9 months later...
  • Subscriber
20 minutes ago, MUFC said:

Wondering for 2023. Now that RB have taking over the engine development from Honda. Not next season but in 2023 will any of the teams approach RB for their engines? 

Porsche are rumoured to be very interested in a partnership. Wouldn't be surprising, either, as they actually  built and bench tested a functional F1 engine in 2017 as they were considering entering the sport in a few years.

Archived