talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Is it time to change the Premier League format?

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

If you believe that teams striving for safety, teams "being on the beach" from February or March onwards and teams not 'turning up' for games at the back end of the season is a problem in the Premier League alone, you are very mistaken. 

I doubt there are many, if any, leagues in the United Kingdom, right down the footballing pyramid, where there isn't a team striving for safety in that division and where sides don't 'down tools' for the last few games of the season when they have met their season objectives. 

Conversly, I read somewhere that a win for either West Ham United or Stoke City on the final day, I can't remember which one, meant that the club earnt an extra £2m for their final league position due to moving up the table one place. I know that it will be hard to motivate a side for a game to aim to finish 11th, however, I imagine that players bonuses will be related to where the club finishes so I'm sure that was enough motivation for some. So, I don't think that too many were on the beach on the final day. 

had we beaten Bournemouth, and gone up 3 places, it would have meant we get £5.7m more in prize money. 

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived