• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Man Utd 1-6 Tottenham - Sunday 4th October, 2020

football forum

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

Also how is there a narrative about Man Utd needing more players or Solskjaer needing backing in the transfer market? Isn't this the most expensive squad in Europe apart from Manchester City? Plenty of those have been a waste of money but the manager and coaching team has to try and get something out of the players they've got like everyone else manages to do. It's not like they haven't got any help from the academy saving them money with Rashford, Henderson, Greenwood, McTominay. You can't just ask for another £50m signing in every position when your coaching and tactics are getting this dross out of these players.

• Administrator

For anyone who's not seen it, this is how shambolic Lamela and the referee are for their decisions.

Lamela almost forearms Martial in the throat.
Martial retaliates(?!) with a slight tap on Lamela's face.
Referee decides it's red for Martial but not the same for Lamela. At the very least, it should be the other way round I think.

I don't get how, with the benefit of VAR being able to review the incident, Lamela gets away with nothing and Martial gets the most severe punishment.

The punishment doesn't fit either of the crimes, so to speak.

Poor all round. That reaction from Lamela is probably the worst thing about it all.

• The title was changed to Man Utd 1-4 Tottenham - Sunday 4th October, 2020
  • Subscriber
1 minute ago, Stan said:

For anyone who's not seen it, this is how shambolic Lamela and the referee are for their decisions.

Referee decides it's red for Martial but not the same for Lamela. At the very least, it should be the other way round I think.

I don't get how, with the benefit of VAR being able to review the incident, Lamela gets away with nothing and Martial gets the most severe punishment.

Poor all round. That reaction from Lamela is probably the worst thing about it all.

If Lamela reacts there I guarantee Martial stays on the pitch but he does something smart which is wait a second, gather his acting prowess and hit the floor. He does get a yellow later on but the damage is already done.

1 minute ago, RandoEFC said:

Also how is there a narrative about Man Utd needing more players or Solskjaer needing backing in the transfer market? Isn't this the most expensive squad in Europe apart from Manchester City? Plenty of those have been a waste of money but the manager and coaching team has to try and get something out of the players they've got like everyone else manages to do. It's not like they haven't got any help from the academy saving them money with Rashford, Henderson, Greenwood, McTominay. You can't just ask for another £50m signing in every position when your coaching and tactics are getting this dross out of these players.

Neville has been pathetically bleating on the whole half about lack of signings, desperately trying to push blame anywhere but his old mate Ole. There is a lot wrong with Manchester United and their owners but sorry this is type of abject performance is on the manager.

• Administrator
Just now, Mel81x said:

If Lamela reacts there I guarantee Martial stays on the pitch but he does something smart which is wait a second, gather his acting prowess and hit the floor. He does get a yellow later on but the damage is already done.

Sorry but I can't condone that kind of 'smart' when it results in a red card for another player. It's where football needs to wise up and what needs to be eradicated. Acting prowess should never be a plus in this context.

2 minutes ago, Stan said:

Well, look at what the law actually states: 

A player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible. 

Was Lamela's deliberate, or was he just trying to shrug Bailey off and accidentally got his face? It's up to interpretation. No question for Martial though, even though Lamela milks it. 

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Neville has been pathetically bleating on the whole half about lack of signings, desperately trying to push blame anywhere but his old mate Ole. There is a lot wrong with Manchester United and their owners but sorry this is type of abject performance is on the manager.

He shouldn't be commentating. Save all this crap for the analysis.

• Subscriber
Just now, Stan said:

Sorry but I can't condone that kind of 'smart' when it results in a red card for another player. It's where football needs to wise up and what needs to be eradicated. Acting prowess should never be a plus in this context.

I would wager if we look at the amount of yellows that have led to reds barring straight reds we'd see a lot of players capitalize on a touch in the box or a potentially non-damaging act from the opposition so what Lamela does is think for a second instead of reacting hence me calling it smart. Is it right? I don't think so but neither is diving and we've seen players get away with that so much its hard to tell whether the intent is real or an actual outcome of contact at times.

I think VAR got it wrong and this after reviewing the incident, both players should be taken to the side and told not to do what they did if anything but when you've spent a season being shat on for not 'enforcing' the rules you can do two things: learn from your mistakes or take the shotgun approach to rule enforcement which is what we're seeing with VAR this season.

Yeah, Utd have had money. Spent enough every window. Owners getting slagged for lack of investment, which is weird since you’ve signed Maguire, Fernandes, Fred, Wan Bissaka, Sanchez and numerous others for big cash. These players don’t become fucking dreadful overnight, it’s the management not being able to get a tune out of them that’s the main issue. 

Ole getting away with absolute murder at that club, easy to blame the lack of investment even though it’s a myth. The likes of Neville and other pundits constantly going on about needing new players has saved his arse from the media scrutiny. 

Long may it continue. 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Well, look at what the law actually states: 

A player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible. 

Was Lamela's deliberate, or was he just trying to shrug Bailey off and accidentally got his face? It's up to interpretation. No question for Martial though, even though Lamela milks it. 

I think it's deliberate. He knows he's getting hassled a bit, knows exactly where Martial and his head/neck is, and decides to 'shrug' him off forcefully. If he does it in his chest or torso, he can easily just shrug him off there?

Just doesn't make sense to me that Martial gets a red (even applying that law above) but Lamela gets absolutely nothing, despite 'deliberately striking an opponent...on the head or face with the hand or arm...'

• The title was changed to Man Utd 1-6 (Kane, 79") Tottenham - Sunday 4th October, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived