The better place to talk football.

Aston Villa 7-2 Liverpool - Sunday 4th October, 2020

football forum

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
5 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

Just take a moment to stop and think that some people will have watched the same football match as you there and think that Jack Grealish only getting an emergency call up to replace an injured player while Mason Mount and Phil Foden start games for England is perfectly normal.

It's all part of the big club brainwashing from the media, generally supplemented by spineless England managers. It all creates that mindset. Grealish should be our focal point. He's shown more in the top flight than Foden, Maddison or Mount for me, playing in the poorest side of the four.

The bloke is quality.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

xDI can't stop watching that

4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

He looks like hes trying to avoid the ball luckily the cross-bar was around.

Told you yesterday - he was just expecting a deflection and got it horribly wrong, yet got away with it xD 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Told you yesterday - he was just expecting a deflection and got it horribly wrong, yet got away with it xD 

Well in a few days time he'll be a meme on the internet so he gets that publicity. 

• Subscriber

Is this all just a symptom of not enough down-time for players post the season ending? I don't think so because they were off for a long time during the first COVID phase but ending a season and then starting another one as soon as they did could have something to do with it? 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Is this all just a symptom of not enough down-time for players post the season ending? I don't think so because they were off for a long time during the first COVID phase but ending a season and then starting another one as soon as they did could have something to do with it? 

I think less pressure from fans in the stands is playing a part. But then there are fans allowed in European countries (watched Brest vs Monaco yesterday and they pretty much had a full stadium?!). I think fans are allowed back in in Germany, too.

I also think the games are just becoming like training exercises for periods within the match. Maybe where tiredness comes in to play because of so many games and a lack of pre-season definitely could be a factor. Some teams perhaps more prepared and organised than others.

I think it's just a crazy start - whether it will be sustained, who knows?!

• Subscriber
11 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think it's just a crazy start - whether it will be sustained, who knows?!

I think the fans in the stands is a good shout and its been discussed by presenters during matches too but then you have to also wonder whether these players who are used to having time off to recuperate got the necessary amount of time. It's surely a weird season as is evident with the number of hat-tricks we've already witnessed and we have not had a single 0-0 yet this season (not that I am complaining).

The first long-break the leagues get will see some sort of stability creep back into teams. Until then it will be as random as random can get and this is not to take anything away from the performances we're seeing from teams who are getting results.

50 minutes ago, Inverted said:

Bayern also squeaked by Hertha yesterday 4-3, and were pretty lucky to do so.

54 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

Bayern Munich got battered the other week. 20 goals overall in their opening three games

Bayern are actually famous slow starters. Always good to see them fixtures 1-10. Later on, not so much. You'll notice when they don't win the league (not often) they're always chasing down Dortmund, rather than being chased down. 

Actually goes to show you the importance just in character of having Jordan Henderson there. He'd have never stood for that. You feel like the heads dropped too quickly and the fire in the belly to turn it around just wasn't there.

Defence was a shambles obviously but the midfield badly exposed them. As bad a game as I've seen that Fabinho have for a long time, he's always looked fairly solid but he was blowing all over the show.

23 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Actually goes to show you the importance just in character of having Jordan Henderson there. He'd have never stood for that. You feel like the heads dropped too quickly and the fire in the belly to turn it around just wasn't there.

Defence was a shambles obviously but the midfield badly exposed them. As bad a game as I've seen that Fabinho have for a long time, he's always looked fairly solid but he was blowing all over the show.

Jota didn't do a whole lot wrong but Mane is a huge miss too. Properly leads from the front

Firmino had a shocker as well.

9 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

I didn't understand why Henderson never got put on. I guess for Klopp it's a case of the game being over and it being an excuse to give Jones and Minamino some pitch time in a dead rubber.

Probably saw no point in risking him in a game that was done. 

Archived