talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

How Long Does Ole-Gunnar Solskjaer Have Left As Utd Boss?

3 minutes ago, Danny said:

If pointing out that he spent £200m+ in his first full season and only accrued 66 points makes you touchy then I can see why you "don't" post about United

But he still qualified. Only because EvErYonE eLsE wAs sHiT though. Just read that post back. ‘don’t look the team Mourinho had you playing like‘. Fuck me sideways. Scraping past a young Ajax side was an amazing feat. How did he do it. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
3 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Only because EvErYonE eLsE wAs sHiT though

People use this as a reason we won the league and it's absolutely infuriating xD 

Do I believe Ole is going to win the premier league? No
Do I believe that ANY manager on the face of planet earth would win the prem at the helm of United within 3 seasons right now? No
Has he exceeded my expectations? Yes
Is it funny to watch United get dumped out of cup competitions? Yes

This is a weird one. United fans can't want him out, as he's not doing a dog shit job and is bringing stability, but fans of rival clubs are also going to be happy to see him stay, as a solid but unspectacular united is a safe united that's not going to trouble them from winning the prem if they can get their shit in order. That said, only City have their shit in order. Chelsea and Liverpool fans should be cleaning their own closets first before worrying about the gnome. 

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

But he still qualified. Only because EvErYonE eLsE wAs sHiT though. Just read that post back. ‘Playing the way Mourinho played’. Fuck me sideways. Scraping past a young Ajax side was an amazing feat. How did he do it. 

The season Ole took over from Mourinho getting sacked United finished on 66 points. Ole's first full season, having spent £200m+ only managed 66 points. He achieved the same amount of points as the season you sacked a manager for literally not being good enough. The season Ole took over 5 other clubs finished with a higher points total than 66 points, the season before that 5 clubs again finished with a higher points total than 66 points. You are purposely being ignorant if you think that finishing 3rd on 66 points had little to do with the fact that the quality of the league took a nosedive. What do you want Ole to get a pat on the back for being the best of a bad bunch? After spending £200m+? Insane. He qualified for Europe, well done, but it was still a poor season.

Read what back? Clearly it wasn't meant stylistically, clearly it was meant in terms of achieving results, and in terms of that Mourinho finished on 81 points. Ole's first full season after Jose got the sack and he finished 15 points behind that total. That is categorically bad, you sacked a manager, hired a new one, backed him financially and then took a big step backwards.

15 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I think he’s done alright but it feels bizarre to talk about CL qualification as an accomplishment when he’s got one of the most expensive squads in history. The base line for a United manager should be CL qualification and at least challenging for every cup.

I don’t think he’s done a bad job, but I also don’t think he’s ever going to be able to bring that team close to the levels of City’s or Liverpool’s title winning sides in the past 5 years. 

As long as Guardiola and Klopp are where they are, I don’t see United winning the league - so is the plan to keep him in the job until they clear off?

But doesn't everyone else in the EPL have the other most expensive squads in history?

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Danny said:

You are purposely being ignorant if you think that finishing 3rd on 66 points had little to do with the fact that the quality of the league took a nosedive. What do you want Ole to get a pat on the back for being the best of a bad bunch?

He can't win then, can he?

If he finishes behind/level with those clubs that took a nosedive, he'll get slaughtered?

He's finished ahead of them, despite on lower points, but still ahead of them, and he's still getting criticised for it?

9 minutes ago, Stan said:

People use this as a reason we won the league and it's absolutely infuriating xD 

Naïve to think that doesn't play a part Stan, you deserved your title and got a respectable points total. No one can take that away from you, but your rivals for the title ended up being Spurs and Arsenal, which says a lot for how poor the league was that year.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

The season Ole took over from Mourinho getting sacked United finished on 66 points. Ole's first full season, having spent £200m+ only managed 66 points. He achieved the same amount of points as the season you sacked a manager for literally not being good enough. The season Ole took over 5 other clubs finished with a higher points total than 66 points, the season before that 5 clubs again finished with a higher points total than 66 points. You are purposely being ignorant if you think that finishing 3rd on 66 points had little to do with the fact that the quality of the league took a nosedive. What do you want Ole to get a pat on the back for being the best of a bad bunch? After spending £200m+? Insane. He qualified for Europe, well done, but it was still a poor season.

Read what back? Clearly it wasn't meant stylistically, clearly it was meant in terms of achieving results, and in terms of that Mourinho finished on 81 points. Ole's first full season after Jose got the sack and he finished 15 points behind that total. That is categorically bad, you sacked a manager, hired a new one, backed him financially and then took a big step backwards.

Or we just started playing better than them due to the signing of Bruno Fernandes?

Look at the run of results we had when Bruno signed for us last season, between January 2020 and December 2020 we'd have actually been top of the league if those games were over a calendar season. 

Just now, Stan said:

If he finishes behind/level with those clubs that took a nosedive, he'll get slaughtered?

He's finished ahead of them, despite on lower points, but still ahead of them, and he's still getting criticised for it?

So you simply don't criticise a Manchester United manager for finishing on 66 points? Is this where we are? Not criticising a Manchester United manager for failing to achieve more than 66 points even though he's been well and truly backed financially? 66 points? Come off it.

2 minutes ago, Devil said:

Or we just started playing better than them due to the signing of Bruno Fernandes?

Look at the run of results we had when Bruno signed for us last season, between January 2020 and December 2020 we'd have actually been top of the league if those games were over a calendar season. 

But they weren't? Those games were over the actual season that you signed Fernandes. Over that actual season you finished on 66 points.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Ding ding. This is literally it. He can’t win. But just remember Stan, it’s only me being sensitive, nobody agrees with me and apparently, there seems to be some sort of “don’t talk about United unless it’s 100% accurate and is approved by us” mentality going on here. Even though I’ve got a Leicester fan, Newcastle Fan, Everton fan and Werder fan seeing my point of view. Oh well.

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Danny said:

Naïve to think that doesn't play a part Stan, you deserved your title and got a respectable points total. No one can take that away from you, but your rivals for the title ended up being Spurs and Arsenal, which says a lot for how poor the league was that year.

It doesn't make it any less infuriating. It's regularly the thing people bring up to say 'yeah you won the league, but others were poor. You did well, but other teams were in a transition period and didn't perform'. So what? We did perform. The credit doesn't always have to come with a caveat for other teams not getting their shit together. That's on them, not us.

1 minute ago, Danny said:

So you simply don't criticise a Manchester United manager for finishing on 66 points? Is this where we are? Not criticising a Manchester United manager for failing to achieve more than 66 points even though he's been well and truly backed financially? 66 points? Come off it.

I didn't say you can't criticise him. No-one in the league is immune to criticism. But comparing to seasons years and years ago is naive in itself - the status, stature, quality, finances of teams were different.

2 minutes ago, Danny said:

But they weren't? Those games were over the actual season that you signed Fernandes. Over that actual season you finished on 66 points.

That may be the case but it was certainly a sign of huge progression in performances.

Is it fair to judge a manager on a rebuild project on the first five months?

I'm discrediting the half a season he took over from Jose because that wasn't the rebuild process, that was guiding his group of players to the end of the season. 

Just now, DeadLinesman said:

Ding ding. This is literally it. He can’t win. But just remember Stan, it’s only me being sensitive, nobody agrees with me and apparently, there seems to be some sort of “don’t talk about United unless it’s 100% accurate and is approved by us” mentality going on here. Even though I’ve got a Leicester fan, Newcastle Fan, Everton fan and Werder fan seeing my point of view. Oh well.

He achieved 2 more points than David Moyes. Ding ding, don't criticise Ole at all.

1 minute ago, Stan said:

It doesn't make it any less infuriating. It's regularly the thing people bring up to say 'yeah you won the league, but others were poor. You did well, but other teams were in a transition period and didn't perform'. So what? We did perform. The credit doesn't always have to come with a caveat for other teams not getting their shit together. That's on them, not us.

I didn't say you can't criticise him. No-one in the league is immune to criticism. But comparing to seasons years and years ago is naive in itself - the status, stature, quality, finances of teams were different.

Not denying it makes you infuriated, but it is a fact. An undeniable fact, and all I have used so far are facts to back up simple points. I literally credited you for finishing on 80 points (81 but you know), but you can respect the monumental achievement in Leicester winning the league and also accept that the quality of the league was at a major low. You can do those two things at once. But you can't criticise Ole apparently.

I used two seasons prior Stan to make a valid point, two seasons where the status, stature, quality, finances of teams were completely the same. I brought up Arsenal to highlight how poor 66 points is, which was then backed up by highlighting 18/19 and 17/18 seasons. Both of those season 5 teams finished with more than 66 points, yet in Ole's first season in charge 66 points got United 3rd place. Don't know how much more evidence you need there to point out the quality of the league was terrible and that you can criticise Ole for struggling to achieve more than David Moyes did when he was in charge of United whilst acknowledging he took them into Europe.

• Subscriber
39 minutes ago, Danny said:

Well keep on posting in here about how you're not going to post in here :ay:

38 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Will do. Cheers.

Aye, keep posting in here, it keeps the vibes going about Ole and the lovable, cough, cough, Woodward and the Glazers, the quicker that pair go the better but that's only a dream...sigh O.o

9 minutes ago, Devil said:

That may be the case but it was certainly a sign of huge progression in performances.

Is it fair to judge a manager on a rebuild project on the first five months?

I'm discrediting the half a season he took over from Jose because that wasn't the rebuild process, that was guiding his group of players to the end of the season. 

So am I. I am partly judging him on the fact that Mourinho took United to an 81 point finish, had his usual meltdown the season after and so Ole took over. Ole gets a free ride for that season as he's getting used to the players. Then in his first full season, where you can legitimately critique him, after spending £200m on his squad he only managed 66 points, and that 66 points achieved a 3rd place finish. Finishing 3rd and getting 66 points is almost unheard of, definitely rarely happens, definitely a sign of a lack of quality in the league. I would say that is a fair way to judge his first full season in charge.

Put it this way if he was any old manager and not a club legend, say someone like David Moyes, 2 points separating their first seasons in charge, I would not need to argue this point, he would have been out of the door in his first full season and nobody would argue that point.

Just now, CaaC (John) said:

Or, Woodward and the Glazers spent that?

On Ole's behalf. He was backed with a world record fee for a centre back, money wasn't the issue there, if Ole had other ideas about CB options they would have gone for them. He rated Maguire.

6 minutes ago, Danny said:

So am I. I am partly judging him on the fact that Mourinho took United to an 81 point finish, had his usual meltdown the season after and so Ole took over. Ole gets a free ride for that season as he's getting used to the players. Then in his first full season, where you can legitimately critique him, after spending £200m on his squad he only managed 66 points, and that 66 points achieved a 3rd place finish. Finishing 3rd and getting 66 points is almost unheard of, definitely rarely happens, definitely a sign of a lack of quality in the league. I would say that is a fair way to judge his first full season in charge.

Again you are refusing to see the progression, that £200 million includes Fernandes who came in during January by the way. So we basically played up until January with no playmaker and no recognised striker. 

I will also ask you again, is it fair to judge a manager on his first 5 months of a rebuild project? 

Given results massively improved beyond January it's August to December you are judging his record on because the majority of those 66 points can beyond the new year. 

I'm not going to judge someone on the first five months of a job, especially given it was widely accepted we were going through a period of transition. 

Think of all the deadwood from Van Gaal and Mourinho's reigns he's had to move aside or work with in some cases. 

• Subscriber
10 minutes ago, Danny said:

On Ole's behalf. He was backed with a world record fee for a centre back, money wasn't the issue there, if Ole had other ideas about CB options they would have gone for them. He rated Maguire.

I still say it was Woody that bought D V de Beek and Ole did not want him, why pay £35 mill plus £5 mill add ons for a mf and he hardly gets a sniff in, he was a good player with Ajax and I would rather see him in the team on a regular basis than Fred, de Beeks confidence must be shattered now.

I would rather not talk about Maguire other than say take the captains armband off him and see how he performs then, never in a million years is he a Man United captain material.

8 minutes ago, Devil said:

Again you are refusing to see the progression, that £200 million includes Fernandes who came in during January by the way. So we basically played up until January with no playmaker and no recognised striker. 

I will also ask you again, is it fair to judge a manager on his first 5 months of a rebuild project? 

Given results massively improved beyond January it's August to December you are judging his record on because the majority of those 66 points can beyond the new year. 

I'm not going to judge someone on the first five months of a job, especially given it was widely accepted we were going through a period of transition. 

Think of all the deadwood from Van Gaal and Mourinho's reigns he's had to move aside or work with in some cases. 

Mate I've judged the whole season, not 5 months, the whole season, the progression included you finishing on 66 points. It's not my fault your gaffer and board thought it was a good idea to spend £80m on Harry Maguire. Maybe if you had spent that money wisely you wouldn't of gone half a season without Fernandes, or a recognised striker.

And you look at this season, this is his second full season in charge, and I'm happy to fully judge him by the end of the season, but at this point, you still don't look as good at winning points as Mourinho's team did. And he was given bar Lukaku that exact team, plus nearly £300m to improve it.

12 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

I still say it was Woody that bought D V de Beek and Ole did not want him, why pay £35 mill plus £5 mill add ons for a mf and he hardly gets a sniff in, he was a good player with Ajax and I would rather see him in the team on a regular basis than Fred, de Beeks confidence must be shattered now.

I would rather not talk about Maguire other than say take the captains armband off him and see how he performs then, never in a million years is he a Man United captain material.

Ole wants him, they know Pogba will be leaving soon.

Archived