talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Premier League Reject 'Project Big Picture' Plans

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Cheers for that. Makes the proposals even more of a joke really when the 'poor big club' could get a big rebate as part of this, while Macclesfield go under for a fraction of it. 

• Subscriber

Playoffs fundamentally don't make sense. If one team is better than another over a 46 game season having played each other and all mutual opponents twice each, it doesn't make more sense to decide which team gets the reward of promotion on a one-off match between 3rd and 6th or whatever.

You wouldn't get rid of them because of the spectacle and I don't have major beef with a playoff between 16th in the Premier League and 3rd-5th in the Championship but I'm not sure about them making sense.

40 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Playoffs fundamentally don't make sense. If one team is better than another over a 46 game season having played each other and all mutual opponents twice each, it doesn't make more sense to decide which team gets the reward of promotion on a one-off match between 3rd and 6th or whatever.

You wouldn't get rid of them because of the spectacle and I don't have major beef with a playoff between 16th in the Premier League and 3rd-5th in the Championship but I'm not sure about them making sense.

I think if you lose the Championship Play-Off final you lose a great game and an opportunity for a team to come in and pull of a miracle.

Clearly though this idea of a play off is so they can give teams they don’t want going down a better chance at staying up. Another attempt at preserving the status quo, tv money etc.

• Subscriber
29 minutes ago, Danny said:

I think if you lose the Championship Play-Off final you lose a great game and an opportunity for a team to come in and pull of a miracle.

Clearly though this idea of a play off is so they can give teams they don’t want going down a better chance at staying up. Another attempt at preserving the status quo, tv money etc.

Like I say, I wouldn't scrap them now, but I also wouldn't say we should introduce them if they didn't already exist. The league is a league competition, you should really be rewarded for performing the best over the same number of games. You've got cup competitions for those opportunities for someone to ride a bit of luck out of nowhere to glory. But I don't really feel strongly either way about it.

Historically, the playoffs were one of the best ideas ever introduced into the Football League and what makes the Championship in particular, so exciting. 

To lose them would be a massive choker for the EFL. Under no circumstances should they be scrapped or binned off IMO.

1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Historically, the playoffs were one of the best ideas ever introduced into the Football League and what makes the Championship in particular, so exciting. 

To lose them would be a massive choker for the EFL. Under no circumstances should they be scrapped or binned off IMO.

Absolutely this. 

I prefer the current playoff system to that proposed elsewhere. Its what makes The Championship the most exciting league in the world. I remember us being 14th at one point with ten games to go and still having a glimmer of hope we would get promoted. Gives fans and teams a reason to be invested all season.

43 minutes ago, The Palace Fan said:

Again, only seeing the money side of things from the EFL. 

Let's spin this a little and say that this goes through. With 'the big six' and the other three being able to vote on 'certain things', that 25% of revenue could easily be reduced if those clubs have that say. 

This could start to become a dangerous path. 

EDIT: Forgot to add that Greg Clarke had mentioned that those putting the proposal forward were using a breakaway league 'as a threat'. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54531760

12 minutes ago, Stan said:

Worrying. 

Hardly surprising given that they'd be in line to get a lot more money than they do now. Interestingly I saw someone (might've been Henry Winter) say today that FL clubs aren't worried about the power grab because, as far as they're concerned, the top Premier League clubs already have all the power.

What'll be interesting to see is how much support this gets from threatened Premier League clubs who value the guaranteed money in the lower leagues over their potential voting rights in the top flight

• Subscriber

If you scrap the play-offs then you have to cut the league sizes. It would increase the number of dead rubber games no end and half of the season becomes about luck of the fixture list.

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Fuck them then if that's the case. I mean if they're too daft to not see the actual bigger picture in this then what hope have they really got in the long run anyway.

If this goes through that's me done with English football to be honest other than the odd non-league. That is the final straw. It would be dead to me. Cherish the memories, fight for some sort of proper sport again one day, but there's no way I'm pouring money into this complete scam. The fact Football League clubs support it is worrying though.

Well done to Leeds United, West Ham United, Crystal Palace, Brighton, West Brom, Burnley, Sheffield United and Fulham.

Everton, Leicester, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Southampton and Wolves - get your fucking finger out your arse.

12 hours ago, Stan said:

Worrying. 

I know they're desperate (as Simon Jordan said, some of them would eat sand at the minute if you told them its water) but its very short sighted. Given last week we had suggestions for B teams in The Championship, I wonder how clubs in League Two would feel about being replaced by them in three or four seasons time.

8 hours ago, Dan said:

Fuck them then if that's the case. I mean if they're too daft to not see the actual bigger picture in this then what hope have they really got in the long run anyway.

If this goes through that's me done with English football to be honest other than the odd non-league. That is the final straw. It would be dead to me. Cherish the memories, fight for some sort of proper sport again one day, but there's no way I'm pouring money into this complete scam. The fact Football League clubs support it is worrying though.

Well done to Leeds United, West Ham United, Crystal Palace, Brighton, West Brom, Burnley, Sheffield United and Fulham.

Everton, Leicester, Aston Villa, Newcastle, Southampton and Wolves - get your fucking finger out your arse.

They'll all vote against it. Its in none of the other 14's best interests for this to go through.

11 hours ago, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Forgot to add that Greg Clarke had mentioned that those putting the proposal forward were using a breakaway league 'as a threat'. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54531760

I have hit a point where I couldn't care if they did now. A new model where money gets distributed more fairly throughout the four divisons which will become more competitive without the annoyance of some of the third parties that latch on the PL model would be far more enjoyable.

• The title was changed to Premier League Reject 'Project Big Picture' Plans

Archived