talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Salford City Sack Another Manager

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bizarre. 

I know they dropped a 2-0 lead to a decimated Tranmere at the weekend but still, seems harsh considering they were seconds from being 2nd in the table.

I can only assume there are ulterior motives behind it. Doesn't exactly do their reputation any good.

8 minutes ago, Lucas said:

Bizarre. 

I know they dropped a 2-0 lead to a decimated Tranmere at the weekend but still, seems harsh considering they were seconds from being 2nd in the table.

I can only assume there are ulterior motives behind it. Doesn't exactly do their reputation any good.

Allegedly the style of football wasn’t what they wanted it to be. 

5 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Allegedly the style of football wasn’t what they wanted it to be. 

I haven't seen enough of them to judge but I'll be interested to see if Scholes' appointment works out.

Shortlived spell at Oldham although I think he didn't get on with the owner. Least he will get on well with the upper management this time.

• The title was changed to Salford City Sack Graham Alexander; Paul Scholes Appointed as Interim
  • Subscriber

Bizarre decision really considering they've not had a bad start to the season and it's only their second season in the Football League. Like others have said, it'll be interesting to see how Scholes does on an interim basis. 

26 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I haven't seen enough of them to judge but I'll be interested to see if Scholes' appointment works out.

Shortlived spell at Oldham although I think he didn't get on with the owner. Least he will get on well with the upper management this time.

Apparently they wanted a youth coach to be interim but he’s self isolating, so it fell on Scholes’ shoulders. 

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

Apparently they wanted a youth coach to be interim but he’s self isolating, so it fell on Scholes’ shoulders. 

Just read that too. Warren Joyce, their Head of Youth Development, was meant to be taking over temporarily but as you said, he's self-isolating. Scholes isn't thought to be being considered to take it on full time but could be a different story if he gets Salford playing the style of football that they want and the results to boot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Bizarre this, there must have been more going on behind the scenes. 

I mean if you replace him with some decent calibre on manager or even a great ex player and hungry manager... but Paul... Scholes... the most overrated PL player of all time. 

Bizarre.

• 4 months later...

Despite not being a Manchester United fan I actually wouldn't mind getting behind Salford as I have a lot of time for Gary Neville (and to a lesser extent the other owners). I get that they want to push up the leagues as quickly as possible and have spent decent money making sure that happens but their sacking merry-go-round is becoming a bit of a farce now. To give Wellens just four months in charge, regardless of how things are going is just laughable. 

People will go there due to the prestige of the owners, but the precedent they're setting with a sacking every 14 minutes is making them look like a bit of a circus and goes against what seems like level headed owners when you see them in interviews. Would love for Neville to somehow get quizzed on MNF about this and justify why nobody seems to get a chance.

• Subscriber

Another one gone? Ridiculous. You don't part company with a manager at this point of the season when you're in 9th with an outside chance of playoffs. They've only been in the league since 2019!

• The title was changed to Salford City Sack Another Manager

Archived