talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Everton 2-2 Liverpool - Saturday 17th October, 2020

football forum

8 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Serious foul play is a sending off offence:

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

There's no way that challenge didn't constitute serious foul play

For the record, I'm not trying to shit stir. I haven't seen a clear explanation of the situation from anyone yet.

Serious foul play is a sending off of course but that's only if it's in play. Doesn't the fact that it's offside (even if given after by VAR) mean Pickford is only eligible for the red if it's violent conduct? Doesn't the VAR decision stop the Pickford incident being considered? 

If VAR calls something after the balls gone out, do you just look until the first incident? In this case the offside?

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, carefreeluke said:

For the record, I'm not trying to shit stir. I haven't seen a clear explanation of the situation from anyone yet.

Serious foul play is a sending off of course but that's only if it's in play. Doesn't the fact that it's offside (even if given after by VAR) mean Pickford is only eligible for the red if it's violent conduct? Doesn't the VAR decision stop the Pickford incident being considered? 

If VAR calls something after the balls gone out, do you just look until the first incident? In this case the offside?

Is there anything that says it has to be in play to be considered serious foul play? I haven't seen anything of the sort

Richarlison's the obvious example, but I've seen a few red cards given for bad tackles after the whistle or the initial foul, and no one suggesting that shouldn't have happened. It seems stupid to me if we're saying anything goes after the offside, especially in the age of leaving the flag down for close ones.

You don't consider things like penalties or denial of goalscoring opportunity after an offside, because the offside renders them moot, but it doesn't make Pickford's tackle any less dangerous, reckless, or excessively forceful

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Lucas said:

Watch out Jordan Pickford, Sean is after you.

IMG_20201019_124440.thumb.jpg.0d3f3e4a77bcbba6859975e37258bf4b.jpg

A lot of this going around. Unfortunately for Liverpool and Man Utd, having massive fanbases means you have more massive amounts of absolute whoppers supporting your club and it's impossible to police your own fanbase like other clubs can. 

To be fair though it could easily be an Evertonian making a blag account xD.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

A lot of this going around. Unfortunately for Liverpool and Man Utd, having massive fanbases means you have more massive amounts of absolute whoppers supporting your club and it's impossible to police your own fanbase like other clubs can. 

To be fair though it could easily be an Evertonian making a blag account xD.

He’s on Twitter. It’s legit. He’s getting ripped to fucking shreds xD

10 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Pickford banned for the duration of VVD's absence? No way,

There would be no benefit in that to anyone besides Everton. Let him cost them big time like he so nearly did in injury time on Saturday

• Subscriber
20 minutes ago, Pyfish said:

Again, where's this whenever it happens to any other club?

And again, if we're going to base punishments for how long players are injured for then Richarlison should have his ban overturned the second Thiago passes a fitness test.

3 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

Again, where's this whenever it happens to any other club?

And again, if we're going to base punishments for how long players are injured for then Richarlison should have his ban overturned the second Thiago passes a fitness test.

I’ve seen other fans of other clubs say similarly stupid things on reddit and twitter (where this is from) when they’ve had players out with long injuries before.

So “where’s this” from other clubs? On the fucking internet.

I shouldn’t really blame Pickford or Richarlison for being thugs though. They’re still fairly young men, very impressionable and Duncan Ferguson’s an important member of the coaching staff there.

• Subscriber
20 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Keane's tackle on Haaland which ended his career, Keane got a red card but continued on with his career, I wouldn't say Pickford was a maniac like Keane as Keane said he had no regrets on the tackle as Haaland had done the same to Keane in a previous game, tit for tat in those days gone by.

Haaland said to Keane "Get up and stop faking it." so Keane re-paid the remark below with..."

"Don’t ever stand over me again sneering about fake injuries. And tell your pal Wetherall there’s some for him as well."

1412687489774_wps_115_FOOTBALL_PREMIER_L

• Subscriber
2 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I’ve seen other fans of other clubs say similarly stupid things on reddit and twitter (where this is from) when they’ve had players out with long injuries before.

So “where’s this” from other clubs? On the fucking internet.

I shouldn’t really blame Pickford or Richarlison for being thugs though. They’re still fairly young men, very impressionable and Duncan Ferguson’s an important member of the coaching staff there.

It's one thing idiot fans doing it in their echo chambers on reddit and Twitter but Julien Laurens is a reputable, usually insightful and intelligent neutral commentator. He isn't even a former Liverpool player like so many of the others. Surely you can see the difference? Here's another one who's supposedly an unbiased commentator, just look at the hypocrisy:

I'm sorry but last time this happened to one of our players, Son basically had a national media campaign trying to get his ban overturned and it was "by the way, hopefully Gomes is alright too". It leaves a pretty vile taste in the mouth when you contrast it with all this hysteria.

It's shite losing a key player for a long period of time but it happens to everyone at some point and when you've all come to terms with it you'll look back and accept that Pickford clearly didn't put any intent into that challenge and all this talk about assault and 8 month bans was just a little bit ridiculous.

I can actually accept Liverpool fans still being angry because they're emotionally invested but some of these neutral commentators are just jumping on the bandwagon because it's a good opportunity to get liked and retweeted by those thousands of fuming Liverpool fans.

• Subscriber
On 17/10/2020 at 07:07, RandoEFC said:

While we keep arguing about anatomy, I'm going to give us some credit on a few points even though I don't think we were anywhere near our best today.

Godfrey did really well at right back. Didn't notice Coleman's absence in the second half like I feared we would.

James Rodriguez is a top player who has already proven himself in this league. His delivery for the first goal, his cross field ball to Digne setting up the first Calvert-Lewin chance that should have been a goal, his cross to Richarlison when he hit the post, his ball through to Digne to set up the second goal. If people want to keep cherry picking periods of his time at Real Madrid and Bayern to discredit him then fine but he'll carry on delivering the goods and you'll have to admit you were wrong eventually so you may as well just get on board now.

Calvert-Lewin has now scored in all 5 league games this season as well as a casual hat trick in the League Cup against West Ham.

It's been ages since there was an iteration of Everton who have the backbone to come back twice after falling behind in the derby. We got lucky yes, but another year we would have lost anyway so fair enough to this team on that count.

I dont believe anyone has ever really said he doesnt possess world class skill. The biggest problem has always been consistency and whatever goes on between his ears. He had an excellent first season with us and we where guranteed to activate his buy out clause. Then that second season happens in which there where constant rumours of him wanting to go home and he looked completely disinterested whenever he had starts or sub appearence and did absolutely nothing. It was an excellent signing by you guys with relatively no risk so im glad its working out so far. 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, Pyfish said:

Don't agree with what Julien is saying about length of bans or anything else but what he does say at the end is important when he says "Michael Oliver should go to the screen to see for himself". Why he didn't go we'll never know but if anything good should come out of all this its referees going to the monitor to review the incident. This was a potential penalty incident to be decided by an offside call in the box, the ref should be at the monitor not with his hand to his ear. Lots of teams are getting decisions pushed on them while refs just hand around waiting to hear and for me thats the biggest thing that needs changing about VAR when it comes to crucial decisions - goals, penalties and fouls that are considered malicious (anywhere on the pitch). 

• Administrator
Just now, Mel81x said:

Don't agree with what Julien is saying about length of bans or anything else but what he does say at the end is important when he says "Michael Oliver should go to the screen to see for himself". Why he didn't go we'll never know but if anything good should come out of all this its referees going to the monitor to review the incident. This was a potential penalty incident to be decided by an offside call in the box, the ref should be at the monitor not with his hand to his ear. Lots of teams are getting decisions pushed on them while refs just hand around waiting to hear and for me thats the biggest thing that needs changing about VAR when it comes to crucial decisions - goals, penalties and fouls that are considered malicious (anywhere on the pitch). 

It's because the offside took precedence - it's the first incident. The rules state that no further action can be taken (despite the reckless nature of the challenge endangering an opponent) because of the offside. 

There's no penalty to give because the offside happened. So not sure what the 'potential penalty incident' is? 

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Mel81x said:

They had tunnel vision for the offside. They were probably fully erect at the excuse to draw their bloody lines all over the screen and didn't notice the Pickford incident at all.

Archived