talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Chelsea 3-3 Southampton - Saturday 17th October, 2020

football forum

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don’t know why Lampard kept Pulisic on the pitch for so long, first game came back, should have been pulled off a lot earlier for Hudson-Odoi who looked good in the second half in the last game against Palace. We failed to get any freshness and impetus in the 2nd half which changes could have helped. 

All the goals we concede, big mistakes. 

3 minutes ago, Bluewolf said:

Getting proper fucked off with this shit now... over and over again

Shoot me now... 

I don’t get carried away with anything mate any more with this team. I knew as soon as we conceded that set piece, we were in trouble. Why we giving away set pieces like that in the final minutes against opposition with two giant centre backs?

The 2nd goal we concede is just pure comedy gold. Hilarious defending. 

I was saying last season, it’s always individual mistakes every time. Looking at the amount of goals we concede, you’d think there would be a problem with the system or something but it’s nearly always pure individual mistakes.

2 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

All the goals we concede, big mistakes.

Makes you wonder if those mistakes would have happened if Mendy and Silva had been playing today?? 

Even if that was the case it just shows what I was most concerned about in the transfer window... going for more attacking options rather than bolstering the back line some more because we are effectively saying that without either of those two ( or both as the case was today ) we can expect the kind of defending you would be getting at a relegation threatened side at the bottom of the league.. 

We have conceded 60+ goals in 40 odd games now, that's awful for a side most would consider very capable of challenging.. Even with the front firing nicely and getting 3 goals today we could just about hold on for a point in the end... and we nearly lost!! 

Lampard's management of the second half didn't help either, we were clearly getting outfought in midfield and he did little to change that.

Pulisic is barely up to speed and he plays basically a full game, Hudson-Odoi's entrance could have helped things who also tends to do well when coming on.

Giroud's presence could have helped up top and with set-pieces.

Two players that have had decent recent appearances.

Must be said though, despite the obvious criticism's Chelsea will face after this, Southampton seem to have a decent record at the Bridge. From memory, they always seem to cause you trouble there.

Last season I remember them playing so well and winning and I think they have nicked draws and wins there before that as well.

The way they play with the high line, they take risks defensively but they are always a threat to anyone in this league going forward. Definitely no mugs.

Lampard addressed the midfield issue by putting on James. And we looked a lot better. 

I thought putting on Ziyech was a mistake but in hindsight, we kept on inviting Saints. CHO should’ve came on considering his match sharpness. 

it’s difficult to analyse as individual errors from the usual suspects cost us again, and the fact Saints looked much more sharp. 

Just now, The Artful Dodger said:

If 'individual errors' are consistent enough then the player is not good enough, the manager is responsible for moving them out of the side and replacing them with a better player.

With who? Willy who’s just as bad? Mendy is injured.

3 minutes ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Talking more about your defenders, it's not all Kepa's fault every time.

Except it’s come to a point where it is. And a statistical analysis on Kepa horrifically shows how poor he is. 

Having better defenders won’t do a thing if they have a keeper who is so prone to errors. Caught in two minds the second goal and made no effort to save the third. I genuinely feel sorry for him as he looks so out of his depth. 

21 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

For those who haven't seen it, here's some of the poor defending on show for us today. 

Really is hilarious defending.

Zouma showing how poor he is under pressure and Kepa being his usual indecisive self,  the bloke is doing himself no favours. I appreciate that Zouma fucked up there but Kepa just compounds that error with one of his own, I just have zero faith in that back line and like you it does not matter who we are playing or where they are in the league or what their form is we are always going to be there for the taking for any side that is willing like Southampton to get the bit between their teeth and have a go... We were woefully lacking any intent in that second half

I have forgotten how many times we ended up playing the ball back from attacking positions today and that's despite the fragile nature of our defence, this side has been built to go forward not piss ball about taking it all the way back to the keeper constantly. I appreciate there is a time to be holding on to the ball to run time down but not in the 75th fucking minute.. One of the commentators made a fairly decent observation about when we are hunkering down under pressure that we have too many flair players on the pitch for that to be effective, not only are they not defensive minded but while doing that we are stifling ourselves up front at the same time.. when we do get hold of the ball it's a hoof and hope rather than having outlets that can break away quickly.. 

Kind of reminds me of the Hazard/Mourinho situation where he was expecting him to be more defensive minded and it just nullified his natural attacking instinct, there will always be moments in games where everybody has to be doing their bit in defence but if we can't trust an entire midfield and defence to take care of attacks while leaving a couple of players loose for those breaks then we are in trouble... Fair play to Southampton, even 2 goals down they raised their game and deserved the point possibly more on their second half showing but we are just lost and have a total lack of leadership at the back and nothing seems to have changed, no improvements from those players, nothing.. they are just not the standard of player we need if we want to be serious about winning things again 

As it stand we couldn't challenge a bar bill... We can expect more of the same as last season with good games and an equal amount of bad ones.. Just tiring to watch the same mistakes being made over and over again.. 

49 minutes ago, carefreeluke said:

Lampard's management of the second half didn't help either, we were clearly getting outfought in midfield and he did little to change that.

Pulisic is barely up to speed and he plays basically a full game, Hudson-Odoi's entrance could have helped things who also tends to do well when coming on.

Giroud's presence could have helped up top and with set-pieces.

Two players that have had decent recent appearances.

Agreed, I thought Pulisic looked very good for the first 35 minutes, he looked sharp and decisive but his energy went after that and yea, he was left on too long so Lampard needs to be looking at how he manages players across the 90 minutes, He seems to leave things too late in the game before making any effective changes.

I doubt that results like these will sit well in the power seats at the club for too long either especially if these players ( that I assume he wanted and got ) for a hefty cost of 200+ mill are only capable of churning out the same results as last season.. 

54 minutes ago, Cicero said:

Lampard addressed the midfield issue by putting on James. And we looked a lot better. 

I thought putting on Ziyech was a mistake but in hindsight, we kept on inviting Saints. CHO should’ve came on considering his match sharpness. 

it’s difficult to analyse as individual errors from the usual suspects cost us again, and the fact Saints looked much more sharp. 

It took him 87 minutes to do so mate. For me, he reacted too late.

I know he wasn't in the squad but it's also the type of game where Kovacic would have been useful as a sub as we were clearly losing things in midfield, someone to get on the ball and be calm to receive it under pressure.

One of the best finishers in the league is Ings. Just absolutely lethal. Really pleased for him after all those injury issues previously. 

He's unlucky that he has Kane in front of him because if not, he'd be on for a lot more caps. Makes you wonder if there is one big move in there for him somewhere.

Either way, you'll be hard pressed to find many more with a better conversion rate than Ings anyway.

10 hours ago, Cicero said:

I know I initially gave Kepa a lot of stick on that one, but Lampard needs to have a word with Zouma. 

And to think he's our 2nd best centre back...:dam:

Yeah, Zouma was hugely at fault. If you watch him after the mistake as well, he just stands there, by the time the ball goes in, he could have been in a position to affect Adams not getting the shot off if he wasn't just standing there watching.

• The title was changed to Chelsea 3-3 Southampton - Saturday 17th October, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived