talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Newcastle 1-4 Man Utd - Saturday 17th October, 2020

football forum

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rashford seems to relish that lone forward role more than when he is on the wing.

Didn't he hit a purple patch last year when Martial was out and he led the line?

Might just be one of those weird catalysts to kick start them.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, Lucas said:

Rashford seems to relish that lone forward role more than when he is on the wing.

Didn't he hit a purple patch last year when Martial was out and he led the line?

Might just be one of those weird catalysts to kick start them.

I thought it was actually the other way around. Martial playing as the number 9 and Rashford and Greenwood cutting inside from the wings. In fact I know Martial is down as an attacker in FPL this season and Rashford a midfielder so that's all the evidence I need to conclude that I am correct.

• The title was changed to Newcastle 1-4 Man Utd - Saturday 17th October, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned
10 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

I thought it was actually the other way around. Martial playing as the number 9 and Rashford and Greenwood cutting inside from the wings. In fact I know Martial is down as an attacker in FPL this season and Rashford a midfielder so that's all the evidence I need to conclude that I am correct.

He is good on the wing of course but he get's more goals when he plays centrally. Martial started the season sluggishly against Palace and Brighton.

Last season around September to December when Rashford was the lone man up top he was on fire.

No shock to see him relishing that again last night soon as he goes back there.

20 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Nice goal. I have an obvious soft spot for Bruce but Newcastle have not been worth a point a tall.

Probably near the end for him now. I think he was treated a bit unfairly last year. I mean the fans loved Benitez and he only got a few points more than bruce last year. However this year they look poor and he probably only has a few games to save his job.

8 hours ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Probably near the end for him now. I think he was treated a bit unfairly last year. I mean the fans loved Benitez and he only got a few points more than bruce last year. However this year they look poor and he probably only has a few games to save his job.

We are 6 points clear of the drop after 5 games. There's not a lot of difference to last season. We are a massive shithouse team with naff performances on a regular basis. 

Bruce is failing to progress. A sackable offence at most clubs but probably not at one owned by Mike Ashley. It works in Ashley's favour. Rather like Pardew. Fans don't think it is the team that needs investment but the manager that needs replacing with someone progressive and modern who will get the best out of fan favourites. Eyes turn from Ashley to the manager. Whereas when fans see promise in a manager and transfers as the cause of the issue anger is aimed at the owner. That's been the case on and off all my life, since well before Ashley.

Bruce, like Pardew, has atrocious media handling. Another thing that works in Ashley's favour. He winds fans up with every contradictory bit of bullshit that comes out of his mouth to explain away crap football.

8 hours ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

We are 6 points clear of the drop after 5 games. There's not a lot of difference to last season. We are a massive shithouse team with naff performances on a regular basis. 

Bruce is failing to progress. A sackable offence at most clubs but probably not at one owned by Mike Ashley. It works in Ashley's favour. Rather like Pardew. Fans don't think it is the team that needs investment but the manager that needs replacing with someone progressive and modern who will get the best out of fan favourites. Eyes turn from Ashley to the manager. Whereas when fans see promise in a manager and transfers as the cause of the issue anger is aimed at the owner. That's been the case on and off all my life, since well before Ashley.

Bruce, like Pardew, has atrocious media handling. Another thing that works in Ashley's favour. He winds fans up with every contradictory bit of bullshit that comes out of his mouth to explain away crap football.

While I agree you should be frustrated I think you should be careful what you wish for. You have to remember no one wanted the job. You have one of the worst owners in premier league history. There probably isnt a single manager in the premier league who would want to manage you. There probably isnt a manager in the top half of the championship who wants to manage you. I'm not saying you should be happy with bruce. But you have to be realistic about where you are with your owner. You have had two relegations under him. I don't think you would come back a third time. Its frustrating I get it. In the same way we wanted allegri. It just wasnt going to happen  with our owner. The same with your owner. You would probably end up with a worse manager if you get rid of bruce.  With ashley in charge you unfortunately have to except that is the way it is.

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

While I agree you should be frustrated I think you should be careful what you wish for. You have to remember no one wanted the job. You have one of the worst owners in premier league history. There probably isnt a single manager in the premier league who would want to manage you. There probably isnt a manager in the top half of the championship who wants to manage you. I'm not saying you should be happy with bruce. But you have to be realistic about where you are with your owner. You have had two relegations under him. I don't think you would come back a third time. Its frustrating I get it. In the same way we wanted allegri. It just wasnt going to happen  with our owner. The same with your owner. You would probably end up with a worse manager if you get rid of bruce.  With ashley in charge you unfortunately have to except that is the way it is.

I reckon plenty would want to manage us now to be honest. Bruce was appointed because the club was in chaos. It's not now. £100m net spend and takeovers in the pipeline for the next couple of years. A squad that should be capable of 8th-10th in the short term. That's a good prospect now.

Bruce deserves the next 6 months as long as we don't look like we are going to drop though.

We don't need to rush but I see no reason why with these players and this spend, why we shouldn't be a respectable outfit that is 8th-10th with the occasional but unlikely sustained challenge to above that. Get there and then when Mike Ashley won't kick us on he becomes the target.

• Subscriber
9 hours ago, Steve Bruce Almighty said:

West Ham is just as bad with Gould & Sullivan as owners and how in hells name did Moyes except the job again after saving them from relegation in 2017/18 and then they never asked him to be manager on a permanent basis and never asked him to stay then hired Pellegrini instead, same old story, Pellegrini never had the dosh to improve the team so they sack him and asked Moyes to come back.

I hope Bruce can do a good job there but with that pratt Ashley in charge I just cannot see it, I have mates who are true-blooded Newcastle supporters and if you mention the name Ashley to them...well...run a mile. :shoot::eek: 

Archived