talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Crystal Palace 1-1 Brighton - Sunday 18th October, 2020

football forum

• Administrator

Kick-off 14.00 (BST)

Live on Sky Sports

821px-Crystal_Palace_FC_logo.svg.png     VS     1200px-Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_logo.svg.p

Head to Head Record
Crystal Palace - 36
Draws - 26
Brighton - 39

Last Meeting
29/02/2020 - Brighton 0-1 Crystal Palace

Last Fixture
16/12/2019 - Crystal Palace 1-1 Brighton

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
7 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Here it is. The most eagerly anticipated rivalry in English football.

I can picture Brighton dominating for large spells of the game but we still get something from it.

Maupay loves a goal against you guys doesn't he? 

18 hours ago, The Palace Fan said:

Here it is. The most eagerly anticipated rivalry in English football.

I can picture Brighton dominating for large spells of the game but we still get something from it.

What is the deal with the rivalry between you to? Where does it come from?

1 hour ago, Gunnersauraus said:

What is the deal with the rivalry between you to? Where does it come from?

In the 70's the sides often competed with each other in promotion battles and the fixtures were pretty heated. It brewed when Malcolm Allison was our Manager and they had Alan Mullery but took another gear when Terry Vennerbles became our Manager because of the his rivalry with Mullery when they were both players at Spurs.

Mullery got a bit bitter when they lost a match. Gave our fans the two fingers and threw a couple of 2ps down in our dressing room and said that's what we was worth. Our players, staff and fans hated him while he and the Brighton fans hated our club. The clubs were head to head all that season. Brighton thought they had won the league Palace pipped them to the title on the last game of the season.

After that there was regular fighting between the clubs. Brighton even changed their nickname from Dolphins to Seagulls to counter react our Eagles. They just couldn't let it go. The 1979 season finished just like the 1977 season with us finishing above them on the last game of the season.

Alan Mullery then went on to become Crystal Palace's manager in the 80's but we never talk about that. The rivalry picked up pace again when one of Brightons best players had a career ending leg break in 1985. The violence escalated after that.

8 hours ago, Dan said:

It's a very peculiar rivalry isn't it. Baffled me for ages how you could have Millwall and Charlton on your doorstep yet it's Brighton that you hate.

Charlton have tried really, really hard to start a rivalry with Crystal Palace since the 90's but we just don't care about them. I think secretly we revel in that when we see there efforts to start a rivalry. Personally after there administration party, konga lines and laughing about the tram crash I couldn't  really care less if they folded. There new 'saviour' comes across like a walking meme at the minute.

As for Millwall, well, there is a rivalry but everybody hates them. There more concerned with West Ham and Chelsea but the police response to Palace/Millwall is on a similar level to Palace/Brighton.

• Subscriber
Just now, The Palace Fan said:

We have allowed them to control the game. Got what we deserved. Well done Roy.

I don't get why you'll were sitting back either. You'll could have gotten another goal and closed this out but yes you'll did let them back into this.

• Subscriber

Putting aside the stupidity towards the end Brighton really have to learn to start finishing better because they get into some very good positions and Maupay is capable its just not happening for them. 

• The title was changed to Crystal Palace 1-1 Brighton - Sunday 18th October, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived