Aston Villa - 34

Last Meeting
09/03/2020 - Leicester 4-0 Aston Villa

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Lump on a Villa win!

Soyuncu out. Evans, Praet, Morgan, Vardy, Maddison, Amartey all carrying knocks and/or doubtful. 

Soyuncu is out for 'a number of weeks' apparently which isn't good. Very short at centre-back so may see Fuchs or Justin play there with Fofana. 

Might be a grim few weeks for us. 

Think we'll line up as so:

Kasper

Castagne - Fofana - Fuchs - Justin

Mendy

Tielemans - Choudhury

Under - Iheanacho - Barnes

If Praet is okay, he comes in for Choudhury. If Morgan can play, he's in for Fuchs. If Vardy can play, he's in for Iheanacho. 

Apparently waiting on a scan for Evans so he'll play ahead of Morgan & Fuchs if available.  

• Subscriber

Comfortable Villa win. Changing my prediction. I quite fancied us but this international break has absolutely fucked us for injuries.

Our best chance here is that Fofana is as exceptional as he supposedly is.

Fofana and Fuchs for fuck sake. This is before the Europa League has even gotten underway.

We used to be envied for our lack of injuries, accused of doping.

I can't tell if this is ineptness from us or just really bad luck. I'm inclined to say it's a bit of both, but mainly the latter.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Comfortable Villa win. Changing my prediction. I quite fancied us but this international break has absolutely fucked us for injuries.

Our best chance here is that Fofana is as exceptional as he supposedly is.

Fofana and Fuchs for fuck sake. This is before the Europa League has even gotten underway.

We used to be envied for our lack of injuries, accused of doping.

I can't tell if this is ineptness from us or just really bad luck. I'm inclined to say it's a bit of both, but mainly the latter.

Just changed mine to 0-3 Villa xD 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

Just changed mine to 0-3 Villa xD 

1-3 for me. I actually really convinced myself we'd win this comfortably and that Villa would be there for the taking. Aston Villa's first three games couldn't be more similar to our first three - three wins, the first two against dross who had issues of their own, the third an eye catching hammering of a top side on an off day. My hope was Villa would repeat our fourth game too xD

I think at full strength we would do this but we are missing so many it's unreal. We've already become accustomed to no Ricardo, no Ndidi, no Maddison, but throw in losing Soyuncu, Evans and Morgan too. There was talk about France U21s having a Covid outbreak - has anything come of that? I was worried that would rule Fofana out too. Who the hell would we play in that situation? It'd end up being a back four of Albrighton, Justin, Fuchs and Castagne xD

I think you should be able to take a hit injury wise but this isn't a hit, this is an absolute massacre. That's the sort of side I'd expect us to name against AEK Athens at home if we had already won our group, not a bloody league game before the Europa League's even gotten underway.

This is going to be a seriously tough season and my expectations are quite low. We couldn't have picked a worse year to be in the Europa League.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Dan said:

1-3 for me. I actually really convinced myself we'd win this comfortably and that Villa would be there for the taking. Aston Villa's first three games couldn't be more similar to our first three - three wins, the first two against dross who had issues of their own, the third an eye catching hammering of a top side on an off day. My hope was Villa would repeat our fourth game too xD

I think at full strength we would do this but we are missing so many it's unreal. We've already become accustomed to no Ricardo, no Ndidi, no Maddison, but throw in losing Soyuncu, Evans and Morgan too. There was talk about France U21s having a Covid outbreak - has anything come of that? I was worried that would rule Fofana out too. Who the hell would we play in that situation? It'd end up being a back four of Albrighton, Justin, Fuchs and Castagne xD

I think you should be able to take a hit injury wise but this isn't a hit, this is an absolute massacre. That's the sort of side I'd expect us to name against AEK Athens at home if we had already won our group, not a bloody league game before the Europa League's even gotten underway.

This is going to be a seriously tough season and my expectations are quite low. We couldn't have picked a worse year to be in the Europa League.

Very grim considering we've not even got stuck in to the EL games affecting fixtures/training too. 

The worst one for me is Evans. Barely plays for us in first 4 games then plays 3 NI games, one of which goes to extra-time. How is that even possible or allowed xD. I know he's their captain but it's fucked us over and I've no doubt players of other clubs, and those clubs, have been screwed over too. 

That COVID 'out-break' only became a rumour because 3 players did catch it in the side. All players would have been tested on arrival back in the UK and then at the training ground so I guess they were negative, including Fofana. 

I think Sunday is gonna be a slog. Any player who does play has to be ready and on their game. Nothing less even if collectively it is a mis-shapen side. 

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I'm surprised managers haven't come out publically criticising these mental international breaks in an already congested season. 

Rodgers did earlier. Didn't specifically mention Northern Ireland playing Evans all 3 games but he definitely wasn't happy. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, Stan said:

Very grim considering we've not even got stuck in to the EL games affecting fixtures/training too. 

The worst one for me is Evans. Barely plays for us in first 4 games then plays 3 NI games, one of which goes to extra-time. How is that even possible or allowed xD. I know he's their captain but it's fucked us over and I've no doubt players of other clubs, and those clubs, have been screwed over too. 

That COVID 'out-break' only became a rumour because 3 players did catch it in the side. All players would have been tested on arrival back in the UK and then at the training ground so I guess they were negative, including Fofana. 

I think Sunday is gonna be a slog. Any player who does play has to be ready and on their game. Nothing less even if collectively it is a mis-shapen side. 

Rodgers did earlier. Didn't specifically mention Northern Ireland playing Evans all 3 games but he definitely wasn't happy. 

How there were 3 games in the break to start off with is absolutely unbelievable. Said it at the time and have been proven right (though anyone with any brain cells could see it was a bad idea). I really think they should've just done away with the nations league this time and just got the play-offs completed in one break. There've been discussions for years about how the fixture calendar is too heavy, meaning they did that thing last year where they spread one weekend's fixtures over two weekends, yet now they're in a position to throw international breaks, including extra friendlies into the calendar in this situation? It's too daft to laugh at. Some peoples heads need to roll for such fucking embarrassing stupidity.

The Evans one is a joke as well. He didn't look fit against West Ham and they've got him in for all three games in that break. I can understand him playing Bosnia but surely leave him out of one of the other two.

Just annoying. I normally take these things as they come but this was pathetically planned and we've ended up paying the price through no fault of our own. I bet Rodgers is seething.

• Subscriber

You know when I really convince myself we'll lose a game that we probably ought to win, we end up winning it. I've done that again. Problem is I've acknowledged that before the game, meaning we'll lose, but now I've said that, we'll win.

I don't know anymore.

Oh and in other bizarre news Slimani is back in the fold for us according to Rodgers. You know what, if he can make that work, I'm not against that. He's different to what we've got for all of his flaws.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Dan said:

You know when I really convince myself we'll lose a game that we probably ought to win, we end up winning it. I've done that again. Problem is I've acknowledged that before the game, meaning we'll lose, but now I've said that, we'll win.

This made no sense but given the post was made at about 1am I'll let you off xD

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, Stan said:

This made no sense but given the post was made at about 1am I'll let you off xD

It wasn't really meant to. It's just me playing game theory with myself. I have no fucking idea what'll happen. I have a sneaky suspicion that we're going to have a stronger XI than we feared.

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, Dan said:

It's better than I feared tbh.

Evans being there really does help. No Vardy is a shame, not even on the bench. Praet is a nice surprise. Would have liked Under to start over Perez.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Stan said:

Evans being there really does help. No Vardy is a shame, not even on the bench. Praet is a nice surprise. Would have liked Under to start over Perez.

I will get slaughtered by some for saying this but I think Slimani might thrive without Vardy. I think they get in each others way. No Vardy gives Slimani a real chance to do something if Iheanacho isn't working.

I've never liked Iheanacho as a lone striker though.

• Administrator
Just now, Dan said:

I will get slaughtered by some for saying this but I think Slimani might thrive without Vardy. I think they get in each others way. No Vardy gives Slimani a real chance to do something if Iheanacho isn't working.

I've never liked Iheanacho as a lone striker though.

Could see us going 4-4-2 with Under on one wing, Barnes on the other, Slimani & Kelechi up front at some point. If not this game, then others if Vardy is out longer.

• The title was changed to Leicester City 0-1 Aston Villa - Sunday 18th October, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived