• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

European Super League

football forum

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, shut up said:

This doesn't make sense though. If these teams are struggling in their own leagues, what chance do they have in the super league?

Fucking hate Kroenke, hope he dies in a house fire

This plays in to Kroenke's hands. He makes his money in media rights. As soon as this happens he can sell Arsenal for a big profit and put this all behind him.

I think fans in smaller leagues have already experienced the sensation of being left behind, by those clubs which out of geographic or historic luck have found themselves at the right place at the right time to enter the financial elite. 

So, it’s possible to look at it with a kind of detached amusement. There’s a lot of fans of middling clubs, which happen to be in large countries, who have convinced themselves that they are ahead of clubs like Red Star Belgrade, Malmö, Feyenoord or Steaua Bucharest on merit, rather than the sheer luck of being in a marketable league. So, it would be curious to see how attitudes change for many fans if the backers decide that they are no longer in a marketable league. 

Seems to be an announcement set for 9:30pm BST tonight. We are only a few months on from 'Project Big Picture', so it's not entirely implausible that this will not come to anything. The big English clubs have already proven to be hugely flaky.

It seems to be driven by the three Italian clubs, who are the most desperate for the financial aspect of it.

3 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

Seems to be an announcement set for 9:30pm BST tonight. We are only a few months on from 'Project Big Picture', so it's not entirely implausible that this will not come to anything. The big English clubs have already proven to be hugely flaky.

It seems to be driven by the three Italian clubs, who are the most desperate for the financial aspect of it.

I could believe this. Be it under the status quo, or a new league, the riches of the elite clubs are all fairly safe, assuming a minimum degree of competence in their ownership. 

The major owners in Italy seem not to have that competence. 

They did it in the 90s, don't be surprised if they do it again. Just need the backing of some media mega-corporation...hmm wonder if News Corp willl forsake the Premier League for the SUPER LEAGUE

The sad thing I’m taking from this is how disengaged and disinterested I am in all of this. It’s been on the cards for some time and now the greedy gang of club owners have pushed it through and alongside their being enough people across the planet, who have no historical or physical attachment to one of these clubs or the cities they call home, who are behind this and I’m just very separated from it. I’m very much “let them go” right now.

Without wanting to get preachy, football isn’t dead. It might feel as though clubs here have sold their souls, if they didn’t already many years ago, but football exists beyond the Premier League and this bastardised, shitshow of a power grab. 

These clubs that are talking of a breakaway make up such a huge number of the fans across Europe and even the world, that there are going to be hundreds of millions of heartbroken supporters if this goes through.

Easy enough to say “football isn’t dead, there’s plenty outside of the top league” when your club is one of those teams you’re talking about. For us fans of the teams involved, it’s going to devastating. 

1 minute ago, Rick said:

These clubs that are talking of a breakaway make up such a huge number of the fans across Europe and even the world, that there are going to be hundreds of millions of heartbroken supporters if this goes through.

Easy enough to say “football isn’t dead, there’s plenty outside of the top league” when your club is one of those teams you’re talking about. For us fans of the teams involved, it’s going to devastating. 

Equally, there’s going to be hundreds of millions of people who are shameless and think this is a good thing, are just going to shrug their shoulders and get on with it or the small percentage of match attending fans who’ll find it too hard to break the loyalty they have with their football club. There’s going to be enough support behind this, sadly. The foreign markets will swallow this up like a free breakfast, TV rights will be scrapped over like stray dogs fighting over chips and worldwide companies will want their name plastered across TV screens from Accrington to Addis Ababa. 

So to confirm this super league would be totally separate (no qualifying or promotion or relegation) from:

-domestic cups

-domestic Leagues

-and champions league/Europa league/Europa conference league 

so each club would play less games in a super league format? Or would the 16 teams play each other 4x a season ?   

they would be banking on tv rights cuz gates wise (post COVID) there’s less games to be had. 

having elite club face one another is good BUT too much of a good thing is bad. It will lose the lustre of say Liverpool v Real Madrid for the 8th time in a short period. 
that’s why champions league nights are special. Take away that speciality...hurts in the long run. 

Will fans lose the meaning of traditional competitions like EPL or FA cup or serie a league just to follow their club to the super league? Bout 150yr worth of history 

will it mean more to win the super league trophy?

Trying to create a monopoly in terms of a competition ...monopoly been a good thing?

would be interesting to see what players think. 

the reaction of uefa/fifa etc regarding bans (team and player) should halt these discussions no?

50 minutes ago, The Käiser said:

So to confirm this super league would be totally separate (no qualifying or promotion or relegation) from:

-domestic cups

-domestic Leagues

-and champions league/Europa league/Europa conference league 

so each club would play less games in a super league format? Or would the 16 teams play each other 4x a season ?   

they would be banking on tv rights cuz gates wise (post COVID) there’s less games to be had. 

having elite club face one another is good BUT too much of a good thing is bad. It will lose the lustre of say Liverpool v Real Madrid for the 8th time in a short period. 
that’s why champions league nights are special. Take away that speciality...hurts in the long run. 

The proposal is that teams would still compete domestically alongside this league. The respective football associations have come out and said they'd be banned from domestic competition, but I assume those clubs are hoping the football associations will back down. We'll see. I don't think it'll come to this, but having a couple of years of no domestic football for those teams while we wait for someone to blink would be bonkers.

I do agree about the last bit. There are two groups in the competition and you play home and away, so teams would face each other an average of once a year (50% chance of getting them in your group * 2 games) in the group stages alone. It'll get a bit stale. The thing is, though... it might make it a bit less special, but it doesn't make anyone less money. Less interest will barely precipitate into less viewers, and even if it does, the number of games will more than make up for it

2 minutes ago, SkyBruce Championship said:

I'm all for it. I can't wait to see some of these fans handle a 25% win ratio. Someone's got to lose.

Hold on, is Juventus replacing Pirlo with Bruce? 

14 minutes ago, SkyBruce Championship said:

I'm all for it. I can't wait to see some of these fans handle a 25% win ratio. Someone's got to lose.

Blud Blud, fam fam Arsenal TV will be more comedy gold than it is when they become the Bastarised Super League equivalent of Derby County. 

• The title was changed to European Super League

Archived