talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

European Super League

football forum

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Throw the book at them, relegate them, if they want to go let them, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a collective outrage from fans like this before. Boycott the matches, shit in their mouths, everything.

Probs won’t happen but we can dream

16 minutes ago, Stan said:

It makes me sick, to be honest. But what satisfies me is that I have trust in my club/owners that they won't pander to this corporate greed in a breakaway competition like this. It's just now how they do things.

But yes, it makes me sick how clubs who were built on local people founding them, and local traditions or cultures, or those that have built their success over generations are now selling their souls in spite of it just to keep their bank balances high.

Apparently the 12 'founding clubs' have already left the ECA. What this means for their domestic placings in their respective leagues I am not sure. But I hope those domestic leagues aren't strong-armed into backing down in their feelings towards these club. 

I agree with @RandoEFC - I'd love to hear players' thoughts regarding these latest announcements. Their careers could be at stake if their positions in domestic or national tournaments are at stake. Do they stay and chase the money or show any morales/principles against it?

I'm really interested in the players takes on this. Some people think being barred from World Cups is enough to make them think twice about joining this... I'm not so sure. If the money and the elite-level competition is in the Super League, how many of them have enough pride in their country to turn that down?

2 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

NFL? Basketball? Baseball? One common denominator of course. 

There's joy in winning it all in these, but for me (Packers fan) there's absolutely no joy in doing really well but not winning. Last season was by far the least interested I've been because I knew we'd make the playoffs, but I knew we didn't have the quality to go all the way. So what's the point. In our football there are (were) targets at every level. Winning the league, CL qualification, EL qualification. Lots of teams finish the season on a high because of what they've achieved. In American sports, you either finish by missing the playoffs, or you finish by getting knocked out; both shit. Only one team gets to be happy

• Subscriber
55 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Is this going to ruin football as I know it?

It has been ruined a long time ago, this is just one of the final nails in the proverbial coffin.

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

how many of them have enough pride in their country to turn that down?

More like how many working class lads who used to go the game with their Dad every week and spent their whole lives dreaming of the Premier League and the Champions League and fair competition will be willing to refuse the money and stand up for what their sport and their clubs should be.

I know, I'm naive, but there has to be some.

• Subscriber

I've been half expecting it but it's still quite surreal seeing it really happening. I think we could eventually in England end up left with a less prestigious league, yet one that the matchgoing fan could still enjoy - and possibly a lot more than what they currently get. 

3 minutes ago, nudge said:

It has been ruined a long time ago, this is just one of the final nails in the proverbial coffin.

It’s become very disenchanting, this is either a final nail in the coffin or something that will spark a revolution from fans

49 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

My bad. Isn´t Bayern close to join though? I´ve read something on those lines that Porto, Leipzig and Bayern were about to join. 

PSG is a very special case. I think the last thing Qatar wants to do at the moment is to upset FIFA but I can definitely see they joining up after 2022. 

Bayern are a German club, that means they are fan owned, if they were to join they would be tarred ,feathered and finally quartered by their owners, that means can't see Bayern joining them.

• Subscriber
5 minutes ago, Danny said:

It’s become very disenchanting, this is either a final nail in the coffin or something that will spark a revolution from fans

A small part of me is kind of glad? I dunno if it's just me, I've been really quite disillusioned with a lot of football nowadays. I'm convinced something good has to come from this.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, 6666 said:

So are PSG the good guys in the semifinals...?

We'll judge that after the World Cup in Qatar. Might just be biding their time until that's happened.

At the same time, if, say Leicester or Everton, were to qualify and actually win it - despite everything being skewed against them - they would earn around half the amount Barca or Real would be guaranteed JUST FOR COMPETING IN THE GROUP STAGE (8/)

1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

Is this the hypothetical in which they join, or in which it goes ahead but they don't?

In which they don't join. 

Can't help but feel that this is part of larger process at some level.  Late stage capitalism and globalization have increased wealthy inequalities in most domains. 

In football, the globalization of european football lead to a disporpriotionate growth of the big clubs in comparison to their middle and small counterparts. Barcelona, for example, became a global entity, whereas a club like Getafe is still a regional entity. They hardly share the same interests. 

Domestic leagues in consequence lost some of its appeal and the small clique of global clubs started to see it as a sort of limitation to their financial prospects. Now they want their "indepedence".

4 minutes ago, Cicero said:

At the same time, if, say Leicester or Everton, were to qualify and actually win it - despite everything being skewed against them - they would earn around half the amount Barca or Real would be guaranteed JUST FOR COMPETING IN THE GROUP STAGE (8/)

The per-team figure means each founding club will receive about $400 million — more than four times what the Champions League winner took home in 2020.“

36 minutes ago, Stan said:

Apparently Champions League and Europa League have been suspended for the foreseeable...

UEFA will do anything to stop us winning it ..disgusted with the super league too, if we leave the Prem i'm done with football 

It is quite funny that Pep has spent four years at City getting his pants pulled down the Champions League QFs and talking about how “we need to build a history in this competition”, and then the club bails just at the moment when they finally look like a semi-serious contender. 

The club lost all identity when Wenger left and they decided to fully change the club into being all about business and money, dealing with shady agents, and  having little care over who they fuck over including screwing players at the club who they try their best to force out.

I might have to become a West Ham fan if this goes through as well... 

Lmao supposedly Peter Lawell has been begging for Celtic to get in. If Florentino lets us in as a token bit of small-nation representation, you can promptly ignore all of my criticism earlier in the thread.

I will 100% ditch my principles if it means getting to tell every English fan (besides the top-6) that they follow a skint pub league. 

• Subscriber
36 minutes ago, 6666 said:

The club lost all identity when Wenger left and they decided to fully change the club into being all about business and money, dealing with shady agents, and  having little care over who they fuck over including screwing players at the club who they try their best to force out.

I might have to become a West Ham fan if this goes through as well... 

He's not innocent in this I'm afraid.

• The title was changed to European Super League

Archived