talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

European Super League

football forum

5 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

What is the distinctive character that make it a franchise? The possibility of relocation? 

A franchise is a part of a larger entity that can be bought into. You can buy a McDonalds franchise, it's yours but it is still McDonalds, it's like owning a piece of a larger pie but with stipulations on what you can and cannot do with the pie. For instance in the Nation Hockey League of North America, if I recall correctly the player are technically employees of the NHL not their respective teams, that is how contracts are traded.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Spike said:

A franchise is a part of a larger entity that can be bought into. You can buy a McDonalds franchise, it's yours but it is still McDonalds, it's like owning a piece of a larger pie but with stipulations on what you can and cannot do with the pie. For instance in the Nation Hockey League of North America, if I recall correctly the player are technically employees of the NHL not their respective teams, that is how contracts are traded.

Wow, I didn't know that about the NHL contracts. I always thought the players signed their contracts directly with the teams. 

3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Wow, I didn't know that about the NHL contracts. I always thought the players signed their contracts directly with the teams. 

I think it is why they have such a good player's union. Their money is essentially guaranteed and they have a lot of rights protecting them. Since they don't have to bargain with individual teams it led to a stronger bargaining deal. I'm no expert on it but you should do a little reading on the franchise concept, it is a black and white 'club' v 'franchise' you think it is. IN australia rugby clubs can purchase themselves into being a franchise in the national league. Very interestin stuff.

Part of me is happy to hear that Bayern and Dortmund ect have not had a part of this, however, kinda sad because the league would be more fun without them and we'd not get relegated this year :ph34r:

Fuck these clubs. They treat their fans like shit, to impress Africans Indians and Chinese fans who are only interested in bragging rights. Relegate the lot of them, piss on their graves.  

3 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

Jurgen Klopp always seems to gauge public feeling quite well and his programme notes that inevitably end up on social media are pretty much the thoughts of the “normal” man, I’ll be interested to see whether he says what we’re all thinking or he bows down to his American bastard overlords. 

Very interesting indeed. 

Regarding the greedy six leaving...

From an individual perspective I'm quite excited at the prospect at these teams going off and national football feeling more like a workers game. The adjustment period would be a horrendous cluster but seeing local talent getting an opportunity is part of the reason I fell in love with my football club and its a part of identity we have lost in the PL.

I do however worry about what the future of the game holds for my child. When we see the video games and television advertisements being shoved down our throats. It's going to be hard for the next generation to ignore. Look at some of the "I dOnT gEt WhAtS wRoNg WiTh It" tweets from virgins to Jamie Carragher's tweet about it.

Most importantly though, if the greedy six are expelled thousands of jobs will be lost throughout the footballing pyramid as a result of this in this country which is going to be very hard to watch. Seeing Angelli and Joel Glazer talk about how this will lead to further investment to benefit all levels of football is so tone deaf it's embarrassing. 

• Administrator

@RandoEFC not seen a lot as just woken up but in terms of players reactions, Fofana retweeted a few tweets condemning the SL idea, and this soon after

Unless he went out and left the gas on at home, I'm guessing it's to do with it!

3 hours ago, Spike said:

What does America have to do with it?

4 of the 6 English clubs involved in this cash grab project are US owned. It only takes a look on twitter to see the few voices online that are for the super league.

9 hours ago, Smiley Culture said:

I find it uneasy to be championing Gary Neville, a Sky employee, owner of a financially doped club and player of the Premier League era. 

Spot on mate, the hypocrisy is staggering. Gary Neville is really unbearable for me nowadays. 

• The title was changed to European Super League

Archived