• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

European Super League

football forum

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

If the clubs do get kicked out of their domestic competitions, what's the actual appeal of playing in this Super League besides money anyway? Like would you even be arsed? Imagine playing for Atletico Madrid and only being involved in one tournament every year which you won't be able to win, no relegation, no European qualification, if you're not one of the 2-3 teams in the title race then you're effectively just getting paid to play dead rubbers for your entire career. I know a lot of footballers could be accused of being sell-outs but this would be next level stuff. I can see quite a lot of players wanting to be involved in it for a few years by convincing themselves that they want to test themselves against the best but ultimately prefer to spend the bulk of their careers in the German or French leagues where they can get the experience of relationships with the fans and traditional competitions.

I think to attract an international crowd, it is enough to be the biggest and shiniest competition.

When you bump things up to a global scale, there will always be enough idiots who just want to see what they are told is the best. Biggest wages, biggest transfer fees, biggest publicity, the biggest names, the glossiest presentation. That means its the best. 

If people say that all those things don't make something the best, you can ignore it as either elitism or jealousy. This is what already attracts and sustains the vast majority of Premier League followers.

It's also this same psychology which leads people to watch Marvel films, or care about who tops the Spotify streaming charts. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

Let's hope Klopp sticks to his principles... 

Let’s fucking hope so. If he sticks by his word he can go back to Germany in a preserved league and manage a top side there. 

the Manchester City Official Supporter's Club (OSC) has added their voice to the opposition of the plans.

In a statement, they described the plans as 'motivated by greed' and vowed to fight against the new league that City will be at the heart of. The strong statement also said those involved have shown no regard for supporters.

"Furthermore it has been created without the knowledge or input of any Supporters Groups and once again shows those involved have zero regard for the game’s traditions.

"We are determined to fight against this proposed Super League and will once again work with the 1894 Group and all other Fan Groups to do everything we can to ensure our voices are heard.

"These owners, irrespective of where they come from, seem to think Football belongs to them - It doesn't it belongs to us - The Supporters, irrespective of which team we support."

Speaking to BBC Radio Manchester, Kevin Parker, general secretary of the OSC, added: "Either these clubs didn’t think they would get this reaction, so they don’t know us, or they did know and they didn’t care.”

8 minutes ago, Rick said:

Let’s fucking hope so. If he sticks by his word he can go back to Germany in a preserved league and manage a top side there. 

With Flick leaving Bayern, Klopp going there could be a possibility as a result of this (if it doesn't impact his BVB legacy that is).

• Subscriber
24 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I think to attract an international crowd, it is enough to be the biggest and shiniest competition.

When you bump things up to a global scale, there will always be enough idiots who just want to see what they are told is the best. Biggest wages, biggest transfer fees, biggest publicity, the biggest names, the glossiest presentation. That means its the best. 

If people say that all those things don't make something the best, you can ignore it as either elitism or jealousy. This is what already attracts and sustains the vast majority of Premier League followers.

It's also this same psychology which leads people to watch Marvel films, or care about who tops the Spotify streaming charts. 

I'm under no illusions that if this goes ahead, the 'fans' will swarm to it like moths to a flame. I'm just wondering about the players. Players currently leave extremely rich clubs for a new challenge or a better chance of winning trophies. If you're Son Heung-Min, for example, and you're not quite going to get signed by Man City or Real Madrid or whoever ends up competing for this championship, you've made more money than you know what to do with and you've had 2-3 years of 'testing yourself against the best' in stadiums full of plastic flags every week, do you stick, or do you accept an offer from Bayern, Dortmund, Lyon or PSG where you can go and win the trophies you saw all of your heroes lift when you grew up loving football?

It's tempting to just assume that people will follow the money but we're still talking about humans with human motivations. They all started playing football for the love of the game. For at least some of them, I don't think there's any amount of money that can extinguish that.

If no one goes to the matches and no one pays to watch them on tv then what would be the point? The money would soon run dry and they all appear to not know this. Yes match revenue is not the big clubs main source of income and sponsors and tv rights are the major avenues now but without the public there’s no need for tv rights/sponsors or match day at the ground

2 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

If no one goes to the matches and no one pays to watch them on tv then what would be the point? The money would soon run dry and they all appear to not know this. Yes match revenue is not the big clubs main source of income and sponsors and tv rights are the major avenues now but without the public there’s no need for tv rights/sponsors or match day at the ground

That’s a good idea in principle but it won’t be stuck to. 

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

But people across the world will pay. That's their target market, sadly. And even more sadly, those fans around the world (primarily Asia and America I'd guess) will absolutely lap it up. 

14 minutes ago, Happy Blue said:

Most of these clubs will always have day trippers who will take tickets unfortunately. And the pandemic will have shown them that the interest in the 'brand' will largely be unaffected in other parts of the world, whether a few empty seats can be seen in the TV or not

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, SkyBruce Championship said:

The only leverage the breakaway lot have is if they can credibly threaten to leave entirely. If they can do that then the revenues of the rest of the Premier League collapse and all the shittier billionaires down the bottom half of the league will panic and accept the initial proposal.

If they can't credibly threaten that, which they probably won't because it's financially best for them to have both the league and the super shite league then this whole thing falls away.

This is my overriding feeling as well. Will be interested to see how these clubs are greeted by both their fans and opposition upon return, should it happen.

Surely now only the managers and players can stop it from happening?  I'm not sure if they will chuck them out the league because they make to much money. The only way it can stop is if the players and managers refuse to take part .

I'm not sure if I will carry on supporting arsenal if they take part. How do you guys feel? Will you still support your clubs?

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

I'm not sure if I will carry on supporting arsenal if they take part. How do you guys feel? Will you still support your clubs?

I wouldn't. In fact, I would cancel my membership directly if my club announced a takeover by any investor, as that's already a deal breaker for me. But this Super League shite is on a completely different level... No way I'd ever support that. 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I don't believe this for a second. Just find it far too crass even for these parasites in the game to come out with shite like that. They're not that stupid.

2 hours ago, RandoEFC said:

If the clubs do get kicked out of their domestic competitions, what's the actual appeal of playing in this Super League besides money anyway? Like would you even be arsed? Imagine playing for Atletico Madrid and only being involved in one tournament every year which you won't be able to win, no relegation, no European qualification, if you're not one of the 2-3 teams in the title race then you're effectively just getting paid to play dead rubbers for your entire career. I know a lot of footballers could be accused of being sell-outs but this would be next level stuff. I can see quite a lot of players wanting to be involved in it for a few years by convincing themselves that they want to test themselves against the best but ultimately prefer to spend the bulk of their careers in the German or French leagues where they can get the experience of relationships with the fans and traditional competitions.

Depends what kind of wages they'd be getting though, let's not forget we've had players effectively calling time on their respected football careers over in China. 

The big thing for me would be the International teams refusing to call up anyone involved, that would do some damage because I doubt a player would want to miss out on the chance to represent their respective countries in a World cup. 

- Several Board Members at each of the Top 6 clubs against it. 

- Owners are 100% for it and expected backlash. 

- Owners are not worried about bad PR. 

- "Primary goal is to maximise revenue and profits, the wider good of the game is seen as second." 

- Clubs secretly want their players to be banned from International Competitions. 

• The title was changed to European Super League

Archived