talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

European Super League

football forum

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ball is in court of UK govt now. If they don't allow big six to use city names, ESL would flop hard. If you remove Manchester United the name, no casual fan would want to watch Wan Bissaka, fat Shaw as full backs and McTominay in mid.

1 minute ago, montybhopa said:

The ball is in court of UK govt now. If they don't allow big six to use city names, ESL would flop hard. If you remove Manchester United the name, no casual fan would want to watch Wan Bissaka, fat Shaw as full backs and McTominay in mid.

the government have no power to do that are you mad. 

• Subscriber
Just now, UNIQUE said:

ok what do you do for a living. 

Well frankly, it's none of your business... xD But if you really need to know, I'm an independent contractor who has been working for a small company for years, instead of selling out for a big corporation. Might be hard to imagine, but not all of us are actually chasing the dollar above everything else. Mind blowing, I know. 

18 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Are you joking?

You don't see how swapping the ESL for the Champions League would damage the integrity of European football? A tournament where 15 sides are permanent fixtures and they never have to worry about whether they are there on merit or not?

Currently the CL is the tournament where you get to see the pinnacle of European football. The best sides in Europe get there based on how they did on the season before (earning their place) and get to compete to say "who's the best in Europe." This Super League bullshit isn't a meritocracy it's a rich boy club where a bunch of billionaires have decided they don't want to compete with the rabble challenging their hegemony by... being normal football clubs... and think they can create an "elite" new tournament where nobody is there on merit and it'll be fine.

At least with the Champions League... the trophy you end up winning is the old European Cup. They've changed the format, but at the end of the day you're still winning "Ol' Big Ears" and you still have to get there on merit.

This new tournament is thinking "wow people really love the matches between big clubs in the CL - what if we removed the spectacle by having those matches happen all the fucking time!" It's just going to remove the spectacle entirely.

mate i have said this many times in this thread. i am against the whole thing. my points are only about why the clubs are going for it and pointing out that players and clubs are only interested in the money. 

17 hours ago, Spike said:

I think it is why they have such a good player's union. Their money is essentially guaranteed and they have a lot of rights protecting them. Since they don't have to bargain with individual teams it led to a stronger bargaining deal. I'm no expert on it but you should do a little reading on the franchise concept, it is a black and white 'club' v 'franchise' you think it is. IN australia rugby clubs can purchase themselves into being a franchise in the national league. Very interestin stuff.

NHL is on strike or locked out every 10yrs or so. Used to be a fan of hockey but their squabbling ended it for me

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

Well frankly, it's none of your business... xD But if you really need to know, I'm an independent contractor who has been working for a small company for years, instead of selling out for a big corporation. Might be hard to imagine, but not all of us are actually chasing the dollar above everything else. Mind blowing, I know. 

Personally I wouldn't have entertained giving a response at all.... 

2 minutes ago, nudge said:

no comment 

13 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

so lets think about this for a second. harry kane gets the chance to play for a ESL club on a 5 year £400k per week contract or he can choose to get knocked out in the group stage playing for england  for no money. what does he pick. 

I think football players care more about international football than I do

25 minutes ago, Cicero said:

@UNIQUE has a point to be fair. 

What is the main goal of any business? To achieve long term profitable sustainability. That's what the Super League annoyingly does for these clubs. The owners see the forecasted figures and its probably incredibly difficult for them to say no to it. The whole embodiment of the Super League should be considered Illegal in every aspect of competitive football. That is essentially why I'm hoping there are legal ramifications against it and it falls through. 

Profitability.  I find it hard to believe when top clubs like juve etc are saying they are showing a loss. 
aren’t most of the owners involved in the super league backed from $$$ either foreign or oil.  Sure they can absorb any “loss”.
so if they are not making money, sell it. Maybe to more locally based owners.
Or perhaps not spending astronomical wages on players

would be surprised if any of the clubs closed down due to lack of funds anytime soon. 

but I get it...all down to $$

5 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

seriously if you were kane what would you pick. 

I don’t know Kane, but I imagine he probably dreamed about scoring goals for England as a kid.

Fulfilling a childhood dream is probably worth something.

I’m not a footballer and I work in business stats, so I’d take the money. I don’t have my dream job or anything though, I’m just in it for the money.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don’t know Kane, but I imagine he probably dreamed about scoring goals for England as a kid.

I’m not a footballer and I work in business stats, so I’d take the money. I don’t have my dream job or anything though, I’m just in it for the money.

sadly so are over 90% of football players these days. players on stupid money is the real reason stuff like this gets started. 

1 minute ago, UNIQUE said:

sadly so are over 90% of football players these days. players on stupid money is the real reason stuff like this gets started. 

What about players like Bale that are paid more than imaginable and no longer care about club football at all - but he turns up for Wales 

• Subscriber

For a lot of players international football is very important. I might be wrong when I say this but ask @El Profesor how much it means for Brazilians to make it to their national team and all their best players are in Europe with a lot of these teams that have signed up for the ESL. 

Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

What about players like Bale that are paid more than imaginable and no longer care about club football at all - but he turns up for Wales 

the thing is with bale is he has lived every dream he had thats why he gave up with club football. but i would bet my life savings that bale would quit wales if it meant giving up his madrid money. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Kane was an Arsenal fan as a kid, so I'm not sure what he used to dream of is particularly important to him this days.

Seriously, I'm not in favour of this new league by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it's incredibly naive to think any significant number of players would pass up this opportunity just to play the odd game for their country

on the point about players protesting this and refusing to play. for how long now have top players refused to join a club not in the UCL or asked to leave a club that does not get into the UCL. forget about them making a stand. you might get a few midtable players with a tee shirt on thats about it. 

• The title was changed to European Super League

Archived