talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

European Super League

football forum

19 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Kane was an Arsenal fan as a kid, so I'm not sure what he used to dream of is particularly important to him this days.

Seriously, I'm not in favour of this new league by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it's incredibly naive to think any significant number of players would pass up this opportunity just to play the odd game for their country

To a lot of people, and it seems especially footballers, representing their country at tournaments (especially the World Cup) seems like the pinnacle of their career.

What's Kane got to lose other than money, which he already has a shitload of? Do any of us really see Spurs as a likely contender for winning the ESL? As far as I can tell, they've been invited to be the New York Jets of this closed off league. A side where Lewis and Levy can see Spurs collect tons of money, but with no real reason for them to ever show any ambition. It's a bit of a wet dream for them, tbh.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

To a lot of people, and it seems especially footballers, representing their country at tournaments (especially the World Cup) seems like the pinnacle of their career.

What's Kane got to lose other than money, which he already has a shitload of? Do any of us really see Spurs as a likely contender for winning the ESL? As far as I can tell, they've been invited to be the New York Jets of this closed off league. A side where Lewis and Levy can see Spurs collect tons of money, but with no real reason for them to ever show any ambition. It's a bit of a wet dream for them, tbh.

thats the thing mate. spurs have no chance of winning the ESL and england have no chace of winning the world cup so kane is better off chasing the money. 

2 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

thats the thing mate. spurs have no chance of winning the ESL and england have no chace of winning the world cup so kane is better off chasing the money. 

Or joining Leicester or West Ham. Then he'd be able to compete for the English title as well as the European honours. And still play for England.

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Or joining Leicester or West Ham. Then he'd be able to compete for the English title as well as the European honours. And still play for England.

but he would be on £50k per week instead of £300k per week. 

35 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

For a lot of players international football is very important. I might be wrong when I say this but ask @El Profesor how much it means for Brazilians to make it to their national team and all their best players are in Europe with a lot of these teams that have signed up for the ESL. 

Playing for Brazil means a lot for brazilian players in Europe. Those dudes  cross the continent in a space of a week, with some crazy logistics involved. That shows how much it means for them.

Not only because it's a chance to defend the country colors but also due to the atmosphere around the national team.

Our players in Europe really miss the typical brazilian dressing room atmosphere. It's much more relaxed than the one they find in european clubs.

Brazilian coaches have much less power than their european counterparts.

Traditionally, players here have much more say behind the scenes. They really miss that kind of freedom. This is a result of the huge instability surrounding coaches in Brazil. Three straight defeats  means you're fired.

1 minute ago, El Profesor said:

Playing for Brazil means a lot for brazilian players in Europe. Those dudes  cross the continent in a space of a week, with some crazy logistics involved. That shows how much it means for them.

Not only because it's a chance to defend the country colors but also due to the atmosphere around the national team.

Our players in Europe really miss the typical brazilian dressing room atmosphere. It's much more relaxed than the one they find in european clubs.

Traditionally, players here have much more say behind the scenes. They really miss that kind of freedom. This is a result of the huge instsbility regarding coaches in Brazil. Three straight defeats  means you're fired.

you will find out how much if they have to choose between the money or the glory. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

Traditionally, players here have much more say behind the scenes. They really miss that kind of freedom. This is a result of the huge instability surrounding coaches in Brazil. Three straight defeats  means you're fired.

Putting aside the clubs involved from the PL. Whats the feeling in Brazil about UEFA and FIFA potentially banning players that go to the ESL and the national team? I'd imagine theres a lot of debate going on there about the other clubs involved in the ESL besides the English teams.

I'm trying to remember exactly what Man Utd & Liverpool's "Big Picture" proposals were. Do the Premier League regret rejecting that elitist proposal as it could've stopped this even bigger elitist proposal?

• Administrator

@UNIQUE I think you're missing the essence of why everyone is so up in arms about this and so angry about it.

For now 12 clubs have fucked off their history to be part of an 'elite' group of teams who think they are too good to be part of the competition now. Their belief is that they are more special than anyone else. Therefore they have chosen to be this 'elite' group by invitation only. By making a competition for themselves they are removing the competition of those that threaten to break them. It's not just about whether a player will join a club to boost their wages and rake it in for a few years. That's a by-product of the bigger picture. Recently, some smaller clubs have started to upset the monopoly the bigger teams would have a stranglehold over. Us winning the league in 2016, Atalanta making moves in Italy are just two recent examples. So they effectively throw their toys out of the pram and say 'fine, we'll have our own league which you can't join and we are safe from you'. It's just a sour cherry on top of the cake that along with that is billions of pounds.

It's unethical. It's the principle of it all. It's rotten. It's taking away the true nature of why people really love football or why they really love their club. It's being done purely and wholly for greed by people who have no affinity or true association to the club they own. That's what is sickening about it all. And why there is so much uproar about it.

14 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

Putting aside the clubs involved from the PL. Whats the feeling in Brazil about UEFA and FIFA potentially banning players that go to the ESL and the national team? I'd imagine theres a lot of debate going on there about the other clubs involved in the ESL besides the English teams.

There hasn't been much debate about this question. 

I still think we are here in Brazil still shocked about it and trying to understand what it means for european football. The national team so far is not much a topic of debate. 

Perhaps because PSG is not involved, so Neymar's presence is not in question so far. 

I mean, Neymar is big in Brazil. It's hard to put in words how big he is here.

Neymar not only is the best brazilian player of his generation but more than that, a huge national icon. I'd put his cultural influence on pair with the likes of Anitta, Lula and Bolsonaro. 

14 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

you will find out how much if they have to choose between the money or the glory. 

I don't think they will need to choose. Eventually, CONMEBOL will reach an agreement. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

@UNIQUE I think you're missing the essence of why everyone is so up in arms about this and so angry about it.

For now 12 clubs have fucked off their history to be part of an 'elite' group of teams who think they are too good to be part of the competition now. Their belief is that they are more special than anyone else. Therefore they have chosen to be this 'elite' group by invitation only. By making a competition for themselves they are removing the competition of those that threaten to break them. It's not just about whether a player will join a club to boost their wages and rake it in for a few years. That's a by-product of the bigger picture. Recently, some smaller clubs have started to upset the monopoly the bigger teams would have a stranglehold over. Us winning the league in 2016, Atalanta making moves in Italy are just two recent examples. So they effectively throw their toys out of the pram and say 'fine, we'll have our own league which you can't join and we are safe from you'. It's just a sour cherry on top of the cake that along with that is billions of pounds.

It's unethical. It's the principle of it all. It's rotten. It's taking away the true nature of why people really love football or why they really love their club. It's being done purely and wholly for greed by people who have no affinity or true association to the club they own. That's what is sickening about it all. And why there is so much uproar about it.

i agree with all of that. my points were about the reasons they are doing it and pointing out in the real world we live in morals mean fuck all in business. sad as it is. 

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, El Profesor said:

There hasn't been much debate about this question. 

I still think we are here in Brazil still shocked about it and trying to understand what it means for european football. The national team so far is not much a topic of debate. 

Perhaps because PSG is not involved, so Neymar's presence is not in question so far. 

I mean, Neymar is big in Brazil. It's hard to put in words how big he is here.

Neymar not only is the best brazilian player of his generation but more than that, a huge national icon. I'd put his cultural influence on pair with the likes of Anitta, Lula and Bolsonaro. 

That's a good point there. If PSG were involved I suppose questions might be raised about his exclusion from the Brazilian NT. What do you mean by CONMEBOL would come to an agreement here? I'd imagine FIFA wouldn't even allow it as they are the controlling authority on the WC or do I have that wrong?

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

That's a good point there. If PSG were involved I suppose questions might be raised about his exclusion from the Brazilian NT. What do you mean by CONMEBOL would come to an agreement here? I'd imagine FIFA wouldn't even allow it as they are the controlling authority on the WC or do I have that wrong?

I mean, I could be wrong but I don't believe the status of south american players and their national teams will be a contentious topic. Eventually, some sort of agreement will be found between all parties. 

In this case, the interest of all parties converge. It's, in my opinion, a totally different case from UEFA. There's no direct conflict of interest between the Superleague clubs, Conmebol and national confederations. 

34 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Do you think that will have any meaning with the footballing elite elsewhere? It'll be the same competitions he dreamt about winning (with Arsenal) as a kid, but they'll be totally different

1 minute ago, Burning Gold said:

Do you think that will have any meaning with the footballing elite elsewhere? It'll be the same competitions he dreamt about winning (with Arsenal) as a kid, but they'll be totally different

I think it'd have more meaning than winning the ESL would.

These 12 European giants have gone full Disney and given us a legitimate Mickey Mouse tournament. I've got no respect for it, personally, and I'm sure a lot of other fans feel the same way as me.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, nudge said:

Or rather those people just have principles and stick to them instead of bending over and thanking for being screwed afterwards.

Any videos?

44 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

but he would be on £50k per week instead of £300k per week. 

As if that would matter. This might be news for you there's almost nothing in the world you can afford with 300k per week that you can't afford with 50k per week. The incentive  of the higher wage isn't as high as the incentive of playing for country in a tournament whole the world watches. Don't underestimate vanity in comparison with greed when money is not an issue at all.

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I think it'd have more meaning than winning the ESL would.

These 12 European giants have gone full Disney and given us a legitimate Mickey Mouse tournament. I've got no respect for it, personally, and I'm sure a lot of other fans feel the same way as me.

The ESL is where the elite players will play. You don't like it and I don't like it, but we can't pretend that the general football universe will attach more meaning to a weaker competition just because it feels nicer.

8 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

As if that would matter. This might be news for you there's almost nothing in the world you can afford with 300k per week that you can't afford with 50k per week. The incentive  of the higher wage isn't as high as the incentive of playing for country in a tournament whole the world watches. Don't underestimate vanity in comparison with greed when money is not an issue at all.

you my friend are crazy if you think players will feel that way. 

• The title was changed to European Super League

Archived