talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

European Super League

football forum

• Subscriber

Strong message from Milner. You could tell from his body language that he really doesn't like this idea and he has said he doesn't want it to happen. He needed to say that. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Gunnersauraus said:

Boris johnson has criticised the super league. I agree with him and now feel like I need to take a really long shower 

I know this isn't the thread for politics but cake eating clown Johnson can fuck right off..... Slagging off privileged owners for being greedy and telling them they should take no further steps without consulting with the fans takes the piss in light of all his ducking and diving and trying to hold off public inquiries about Tory conduct the past couple of years... 

8 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

The ESL is where the elite players will play. You don't like it and I don't like it, but we can't pretend that the general football universe will attach more meaning to a weaker competition just because it feels nicer.

I think if you take playing in the World Cup off the table for these players, you lose a lot of the top South American talent wanting to play in the ESL. And probably countries that value their national teams more than we do, which I think is a lot of countries tbf, I know you think a lot of players will take the money over playing in the World Cup... but I'm not so sure. We've got Mo Salah seriously considering playing at the fucking Olympics xD

I think a lot of people underestimate how much these players want to play for their country. It’s easy to say as an Englishman that it wouldn’t bother you. But ask an Italian, or a Spaniard and they will say the complete opposite. That is a massive sticking point that this fucking ESL would have to deal with. Money goes a long way to doing that, but not every single player is obsessed by money. 

I am sure that once the ball gets rolling in the next few days, we will start to hear more voices against it. I hope so anyways. 

FURIOUS ministers today warned that top clubs may be BANNED from buying foreign players over the hated European Super League plans.

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden tonight threatened to do everything he could - which may include plans to halt visas and whack them with extra tax - if the club giants didn't step back from their threats to create an elitist new league.

i know someone said this thread is not political but thats the way this thing is going.

anyway how can the government stop clubs buying foreign players when the dont have the power to stop illegal immigrants. i dont post this as an opinion on illegal immigrants im posting this as a point on the power the government has to stop this. 

24 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

you my friend are crazy if you think players will feel that way. 

4 minutes ago, Rick said:

I think a lot of people underestimate how much these players want to play for their country. It’s easy to say as an Englishman that it wouldn’t bother you. But ask an Italian, or a Spaniard and they will say the complete opposite. That is a massive sticking point that this fucking ESL would have to deal with. Money goes a long way to doing that, but not every single player is obsessed by money. 

I am sure that once the ball gets rolling in the next few days, we will start to hear more voices against it. I hope so anyways. 

Well, just to name one from top of my head: Uwe Seeler refused to go abroad, although he had many offers and would have earned more if he'd accepted them, because only players who played in Germany were allowed for the German national team those days.

4 minutes ago, Rucksackfranzose said:

Well, just to name one from top of my head: Uwe Seeler refused to go abroad, although he had many offers and would have earned more if he'd accepted them, because only players who played in Germany were allowed for the German national team those days.

how long ago were them days mate

I've seen some people get on the likes of Neville's back, for his involvement with Sky and whatnot, I understand that and it's justified but any sort of noise he and others make is only going to help and fuel protest and I hope he continues. 

Of course, football has been going this way for years now but I think this decision, is finally the one where football went too far. It could be the catalyst that football fans needed to make change elsewhere as well, I hope our voices are heard and we have the power to stop this.

23 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

anyway how can the government stop clubs buying foreign players when the dont have the power to stop illegal immigrants. i dont post this as an opinion on illegal immigrants im posting this as a point on the power the government has to stop this. 

Most illegal immigrants try to stay under the radar to them being in violation of immigration laws. Might be a bit harder for players on clubs that are internationally broadcast to freely circumvent immigration laws...

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Most illegal immigrants try to stay under the radar to them being in violation of immigration laws. Might be a bit harder for players on clubs that are internationally broadcast to freely circumvent immigration laws...

And this is where it will definitely turn political. Whats to stop people from jumping on this bandwagon in the hopes of scoring election points because the fans dont like whats going on with the sport so hey lets help in punishing the clubs involved. It would really turn into quite an amusing watch, the politics not the sport side of things. 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

but my point still stands. if the government has no power to deport illegal immigrants how can they have the power to stop clubs buying foreign players. you cant have a government that says illegal immigrants can stay in the country until they have legal process but we can block clubs buying foreign players. 

2 minutes ago, UNIQUE said:

but my point still stands. if the government has no power to deport illegal immigrants how can they have the power to stop clubs buying foreign players. you cant have a government that says illegal immigrants can stay in the country until they have legal process but we can block clubs buying foreign players. 

Deporting kids that have been separated from their parents who've paid for them to be smuggled into the UK because they don't know where to send these migrant kids is a hell of a lot different to deporting a footballer any of these 6 clubs would try to sign.

I'm honestly gobsmacked a parallel could be drawn between the government having the good sense not to rush mass deportations of children to places they might be even more vulnerable than in the UK with internationally reknowned footballers! That's literally comparing some of the most disadvantaged and vulnerable people currently in the UK... with the potential of illegal immigration from what would be probably the least vulnerable and disadvantaged illegal immigrants in the history of illegal immigration worldwide xD

• Administrator

Perez is royally pissing me off. 

One of several arrogant comments tonight. Acting like Real have suffered so badly compared to other clubs that have literally folded. 

'save the clubs'. No. It saves the biggest clubs by making them richer while the poor get poorer. 

Something's got to give here. The domestic leagues can't have these teams playing in them making vastly more money than everyone else (although that's never been a problem before), making a mockery of the league table as it pertains to European qualification, and just generally not giving a shit when it becomes clear they won't win it after 10 games and they have bigger fish to fry.

On the other side, the SL clubs can't not play domestically, both for immediate financial reasons and because of their need to routinely beat lesser teams to satisfy the fans, legacy or otherwise. In fact, I think JP Morgan's loan is conditional on the clubs being able to play domestically, so they can't get off the ground without that. I also don't think the leagues really want to go ahead without their biggest clubs. I know all the fans are saying they'd happily crack on without the "big six", but the leagues make that decision and they don't really care what the fans think either.

Bin it off is the best solution (and fuck the Champions League changes while we're at it), but they're in too deep. They've all made announcements, they have a website, they've resigned from various bodies, the publicly traded clubs have all sorts of obligations from that perspective. They can't go back.

If I had to guess, the SL clubs make some concessions somewhere, maybe expanding the field and allowing a few more teams to qualify, maybe just giving more money to various governing bodies. Fuck knows, but it literally can't go ahead as proposed or as things stand, but it feels like it can't not go ahead either.

20 minutes ago, Stan said:

One of several arrogant comments tonight. Acting like Real have suffered so badly compared to other clubs that have literally folded. 

'save the clubs'. No. It saves the biggest clubs by making them richer while the poor get poorer. 

This man is absolute scum.

• Administrator
Just now, Dr. Gonzo said:

This man is absolute scum.

Infuriates me. 'we big clubs will have more money' as if they don't have loads already? How on earth does that actively help any smaller sides? As if they'll be picking up players from lower league clubs in multi-million pound deals to 'save clubs'. It's absolute bollocks. 

23 minutes ago, Stan said:

Maybe the big clubs could've agreed on a cap on the wages and transfer fees they offer so that they don't have to financially compete with each other to the point they have to worry about bankruptcy. But that's if it's actually about worries over losses and not about being overly greedy...

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, 6666 said:

Maybe the big clubs could've agreed on a cap on the wages and transfer fees they offer so that they don't have to financially compete with each other to the point they have to worry about bankruptcy. But that's if it's actually about worries over losses and not about being overly greedy...

My gut instinct is that it isn't the case, given the obscene amounts of money they plan to pump in to each club you have to be seriously bad to become bankrupt... 

The Superleague clubs say they will continue to play in the domestic leagues... for the moment, but I bet the long term idea is for the new Super league to sit above the domestic leagues, with a playoff series at the end of the season, as happens in all the big American sports

Then it will become an exclusive League and they won't be participating in any other League or Cup competitions

Meanwhile all the rest will be playing for the 5 promotion / relegation spots in the place of what is now the Champions League, until Superleague identify additional permanent members to buy in, then the rest will be excluded for good.

The idea that they will stay in the domestic leagues is just a halfway house, a temporary sop to try and win over those who may be undecided or wavering.

And what will happen if some of the "Permanent 15" finishes in the bottom 5 out of the 20?

The other "Temporary 5" would still be the ones "relegated" or playing promotion relegation, how ridiculous

In any case clubs like Arsenal, Spurs, Man City, Athletico and PSG have never even won the existing Champions League, in fact Arsenal are currently just a mid table EPL side, so why should they get automatic entry every season?

15 minutes ago, Stan said:

Infuriates me. 'we big clubs will have more money' as if they don't have loads already? How on earth does that actively help any smaller sides? As if they'll be picking up players from lower league clubs in multi-million pound deals to 'save clubs'. It's absolute bollocks. 

It's a joke.

Look at the timing of this. Right as our league is about to have it's TV contracts expire... they announce this shit. That pressures the league to not lose it's cash cows, but it also sends the message to broadcasters that the real money they should be throwing into TV deals is this Super League that's got these big clubs with the big players and the big fanbases (but let's see how big and passionate these fanbases are after this shit takes off).

So these 6 clubs worked in secret to essentially fuck over the other 14 clubs where it really hurts - their bank balances. In a year where every club's been hurting financially because there's no fucking fans in the stands. And as you say, some clubs have even fucking folded.

Now these arseholes are thinking "well if we've fucked over the rest of our league financially a bit, we can throw our financial muscle around and keep the money flowing. Look how helpful we are after fucking you all over." It's just like proponents of supply-side economics where you hope everything "trickles down" by making the rich have even more money than they had before. In reality, the rich hoard their fucking wealth and the poor get poorer.

• The title was changed to European Super League

Archived