talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

European Super League

football forum

Just now, Happy Blue said:

I'm thinking this was to ruffle UEFA's feathers with the threat of forming a new SL

Or it was a coordinated effort to get the new CL changes in without outrage at that and instead focusing on the ESL

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
18 minutes ago, DNA said:

Chelsea... the best of a bad bunch but history will remember this, it takes a lot to be the first to do it.

This. Until the owners go they're all just going to wait until the next proposal comes along and is attractive enough to suit their own selfish desires. 

Everyone now applauding Chelsea and Man City and any other club now getting cold feet? Fuck that. They've shown their true colours now. This doesn't change anything. They still don't give a shit about the fans and will run at any other given opportunity to screw fans over. They don't get my applause and this whole episode definitely won't get forgotten. 

Just now, Stan said:

This. Until the owners go they're all just going to wait until the next proposal comes along and is attractive enough to suit their own selfish desires. 

Everyone now applauding Chelsea and Man City and any other club now getting cold feet? Fuck that. They've shown their true colours now. This doesn't change anything. They still don't give a shit about the fans and will run at any other given opportunity to screw fans over. They don't get my applause and this whole episode definitely won't get forgotten. 

100%.

Just now, montybhopa said:

I wonder what was the tipping point. I dont believe it was fans reactions bc a lot of unpopular decisions been taken in the past too. Is it FIFA and UEFA banning players from international tournaments or the players' confrontation?

It will be a mixture of all of those things.... The club owners completely bypassed the managers/players and fans when they made this announcement so a backlash was inevitable.. The owners might be used to taking things on the chin but possible sanctions on players will have rocked the boat a little too much... As a player I would not have been happy

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Or it was a coordinated effort to get the new CL changes in without outrage at that and instead focusing on the ESL

It doesn't add us does it the way the clubs just announced this out the blue without testing the waters

• Administrator

It's quite obvious what's happened to be honest anyway. 

12 clubs 'agree' to form a new league. In response to UEFA's initial CL plans. 

Uproar. Huge backlash. 

UEFA change their CL plans and increase the budget therefore the earnings for clubs. 

Clubs start to pull out of the initial new league plans and are now going to be happy playing in changed UEFA plans. 

I still think these selfish leeches of owners of these clubs really underestimated just how bad the backlash would be. They've got a huge reality check at the end of the day. Once you play your hand too early it's almost no turning back. 

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

The reports suggest us and City were the only ones who were reluctant to join, which was down to the fear of being "left behind". It's no surprise we are the first ones to pull out. 

I think we should be punished but not to the extent of the clubs that actually spear headed this, ala your United's and Liverpools. 

• Administrator
Just now, Cicero said:

The reports suggest us and City were the only ones who were reluctant to join, and that down to fear of being "left behind". It's no surprise we are the first ones to pull out. 

I think we should be punished but not to the extent of the clubs that actually spear headed this, ala your United's and Liverpools. 

The fact of the matter is you still joined. 

Just because you were reluctant to doesn't change the fact you still did. It's like Liverpool's excuse of joining just to have a 'seat at the table'. Not good enough in my opinion. 

I didn’t expect it to be this quick, but thank fuck it’s happening. The rest of the 12 clubs will follow swiftly I expect. 

But this better not be forgotten, the premier league and whoever else need to heavily fined and docked points. Quite happily see Leicester, West Ham, Everton & Leeds in the champions league next season. It’s nothing short of what these clubs deserve in the short run. I like @DeadLinesman ‘s take on it though, two year European ban would be  good to see. 

1 minute ago, Cicero said:

The reports suggest us and City were the only ones who were reluctant to join, which was down to the fear of being "left behind". It's no surprise we are the first ones to pull out. 

That’s a fucking awful take.

Just now, Stan said:

The fact of the matter is you still joined. 

Just because you were reluctant to doesn't change the fact you still did. It's like Liverpool's excuse of joining just to have a 'seat at the table'. Not good enough in my opinion. 

I agree we should be punished. I'm saying not to the extent of those that are pushing for it. 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

You've summed it up perfectly. I used to have respect for a lot of these clubs but now they're as good as corporate machines. I've now got mates who, in the space of 48 hours, have became disenfranchised with their team. Die-hard Liverpool fans of the usual sore-loser but sore-winner variety reduced to threatening to denounce the team they've loved and followed for a long time. Even as an Everton fan, I hate the thought of them losing something so dear to any supporter.

Atletico Madrid are the ones I'm the most disappointed in. A club built around being a respectable underdog of one of the biggest cities in Europe, reduced to pen pushers. Disgraceful.

Just now, Cicero said:

I agree we should be punished. I'm saying not to the extent of those that are pushing for it. 

Nah bollocks to this line of thinking. Everybody has made the same decision, they should all be punished the same. 

1 minute ago, Stan said:

It's quite obvious what's happened to be honest anyway. 

12 clubs 'agree' to form a new league. In response to UEFA's initial CL plans. 

Uproar. Huge backlash. 

UEFA change their CL plans and increase the budget therefore the earnings for clubs. 

Clubs start to pull out of the initial new league plans and are now going to be happy playing in changed UEFA plans. 

I still think these selfish leeches of owners of these clubs really underestimated just how bad the backlash would be. They've got a huge reality check at the end of the day. Once you play your hand too early it's almost no turning back. 

I do believe this was the plan along, the SL was just leverage to get UEFA back in line! 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Cicero said:

I know you said that mate. Just I don't agree with it based on the reluctance. Being in it, signing up for it means you were agreeable to it as a club. And happy to profit from it. Chelsea (and all the others) are just shitting themselves based on the reaction since Sunday evening. 

7 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

THE RACE TO SAVE FACE.

2 year European ban for all the clubs and 20 point deductions.

Rolling points deductions for three years would suit me. Transfer embargoes too. Plus the ban from Europe, I'd push it to five.

The fans shouldn't suffer, I respect the loyalty of all in protest of this cash cow. But their teams, the ones they hold dear, have shown their colours. So my sympathies stretch no further.

• Subscriber

I did not think it would come toppling down quite this quickly but fantastic to see what some fan action can do.

Hopefully going forward this really makes it hit home that the fans have some power yet just don't have the inclination to use it.

The 12 clubs all need punishing though. You cannot let them get away with this, even if sense has been seen.

1 minute ago, Bluewolf said:

I think it would be fair to reserve our applause for the fans who have been out there making a stand over it... but not the club owners who led us to this situation in the first place

Yeah fuck the club owners. It’s the backlash from all the managers, players, ex-players, and fans that got anyone to backtrack.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, Stan said:

I think we can all agree though that Arsenal will still beg to stay in it and still bottle it. 

Spurs will probably do a better job at bottling it. Would be a close one.

Southern Fairies. :ph34r:

This is so good that clubs have now pulled out.... already.  :banana:

UEFA should also scrap all of the concessions they’ve made in this latest round of CL changes. No charity CL spots for crooks like Agnelli - Juve can play the Europa League, where they belong.

Dare them to do a double U-Turn.

• The title was changed to European Super League

Archived