talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

European Super League

football forum

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of the clubs pulled out because of fan backlash in my opinion. The plan was to be in the Premier League and in midweek be in the European Super League. With their Premier League status under threat, they backed out. The other European clubs backed out after the proposal was already dead.

The idea of the European Super League had been around for a while and the feeling around it was mostly negative from all quarters so they would've expected a negative reaction from fans, players, managers, pundits, and journalists. "We listened to the fans and changed our mind" is nonsense.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, 6666 said:

None of the clubs pulled out because of fan backlash in my opinion. The plan was to be in the Premier League and in midweek be in the European Super League. With their Premier League status under threat, they backed out. The other European clubs backed out after the proposal was already dead.

The idea of the European Super League had been around for a while and the feeling around it was mostly negative from all quarters so they would've expected a negative reaction from fans, players, managers, pundits, and journalists. "We listened to the fans and changed our mind" is nonsense.

Did the PL ever state this was the case? I know plenty, including myself, referenced the PL Rule-book but I don't recall, in the last 2-3 days since the revelations of the plans were announced, the PL actually making some kind of statement to explain what would happen to these clubs if they do continue with the ESL. 

5 minutes ago, Stan said:

Did the PL ever state this was the case? I know plenty, including myself, referenced the PL Rule-book but I don't recall, in the last 2-3 days since the revelations of the plans were announced, the PL actually making some kind of statement to explain what would happen to these clubs if they do continue with the ESL. 

They would've needed Premier League approval for this to happen. There was zero indication they would get that and the only other option was to leave the Premier League. It seems they weren't willing to take that drastic of a step. Whole thing was pointless.

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, SkyBruce Championship said:

This is the 2nd big power grab attempt in a season by LFC and Manchester Red Sox. 

The Premier League have to punish but you know they won't.

I dont think they would the first time but this time around they've tried to get others to leave too and I think it would be a slap in the face of the league to let them get away with it. 

• Subscriber

All this Super League shite reminds me of Glasgow Rangers & Glasgow Celtic playing in the EPL or the Football League, that was a dead duck from the first suggestion as they would have had to start at the very bottom of the pyramid system. :coffee:

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, CaaC (John) said:

All this Super League shite reminds me of Glasgow Rangers & Glasgow Celtic playing in the EPL or the Football League, that was a dead duck from the first suggestion as they would have had to start at the very bottom of the pyramid system. :coffee:

It's not really anything like that. That's not a power grab and is more based on competitiveness given they're the only 2 that ever win the SPL. If anything the ESL was the total opposite in terms of power. Selected, chosen clubs wanting all the power between themselves only. And these ESL clubs would have gone in to the most profitable league/competition and start from the top, stay at the top, and never be dislodged from the top. as opposed to start at the very bottom...

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha. Blackburn? You were basically the earliest version of Manchester City mate. Get in the sea.

Poor attempt at fishing.

Jack Walker who funded us was a life long fan.

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Empty words, just recorded on video imo

I agree. And words will never be enough to right this enormous wrong. However they were still probably the best words available for the situation. 

1 hour ago, 6666 said:

What's genuinely unbelievable to me is they never prosecuted the argument at all to their support base beforehand... Like you can imagine if they threw a shit ton of money at a brilliant marketing & PR team, spent months building a case for change against UEFA, painting a vague vision of a possible alternative future and explaining why that would be good for everyone (find the best spin you could have, etc). But they literally launched under cover of darkness with noone in the world prepared for it blindsiding even their own coaching and playing staff... Unbelievable. Whoever determined the covert "spring it on the world with no prep" strategy should go down as one of the dumbest people in history.

It also makes no sense how they did in the middle of a season. 

If you do it in the summer then you have nothing to lose - there’s no trophy or competition progress at stake. There’s no time pressure or awkwardness to get things clarified before a game comes in a matter of hours. 

To be honest I do buy the idea the UK government killed this which one Spanish media outlet said. One minute the government is saying they'll stop it, they'll regulate the game, the next minute Johnson is saying we'll stop it if we have to but hopefully you can sort it out yourselves. In other words the government would drop their regulation review if the clubs back out of the ESL.

I also buy the idea put about that Chelsea and Man City, the first two to bottle it, that they are the mugs in the pack, made fools of by Real Madrid and the American sports tycoons.

But there's no evidence for any of it :clown:

Does anyone know what the expected consequences of this will be from the Premier League? I doubt the 6 clubs will be relegated, though I would fucking love it, but I think at the very least a massive points deduction is needed.

15 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

It's groups like this (and I know there's others from other clubs who have worked together on other fan issues) that give you hope that things can change.

It must really piss off the suits in charge of making money out of this sport that a large amount of the romanticism that sells the game is based around watching packed stadiums, match going fans are such a minority compared to the global fan but thankfully hold so much power

6 hours ago, SkyBruce Championship said:

In the new format only 12 of 36 teams get knocked out after playing TEN games :4_joy:

Plot twist... ESL was never a thing. All was orchestrated by UEFA so they could sneak this in. People might dislike it but it's a lesser evil.

Archived