talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

European Super League

football forum

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, SkyBruce Championship said:

Each ESL club paid £8m each to set this up and won't get that money back :4_joy:

No wonder the statements are bitte

It won't bother that lot, they will just add on a few million more on players they are selling and get their dosh back. :coffee:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Machado said:

Plot twist... ESL was never a thing. All was orchestrated by UEFA so they could sneak this in. People might dislike it but it's a lesser evil.

I genuinely think most people would have shrugged their shoulders at the Champions League plans. It’s a money orientated move to have 16,000 group stage games but given they’ve expanded the Euros and created another tournament in the Nations League, I don’t think this is a massive surprise. I don’t see much wrong with guaranteed places in the Champions League for the following season for the two finalists. 

I think the ESL thing was an orchestrated plan in the hope it would be seen as a direct threat to UEFA’s plans and that UEFA would buckle and hand clubs more power. I still think there’s more to come with this though. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I agree. And words will never be enough to right this enormous wrong. However they were still probably the best words available for the situation. 

this guy sums up my thoughts. He’s now got a history of pretty insincere apologies - this one seems meaningless to me imo

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

this guy sums up my thoughts. He’s now got a history of pretty insincere apologies - this one seems meaningless to me imo

They are empty words for sure. In that I expect there will be a plan to right the wrongs of this and try again in future with a much better marketing spin to get fans onside.

However I think the sincerity that was there is his genuine concern for how much he's fucked up here and the potential it has to smash the FSG brand and hurt his LFC investment value. FSG for all their many failures still do strike me as the kind of owners that do care about their image and if the fans are ropeable with them they react maybe more than the Glazers, Ashley and Kroenke? 

1 hour ago, Danny said:

Does anyone know what the expected consequences of this will be from the Premier League? I doubt the 6 clubs will be relegated, though I would fucking love it, but I think at the very least a massive points deduction is needed.

I initially agreed with the notion that they should be punished if the owners have not sold, but then the point was raised to me that Wigan, Luton Town, Leeds United all had points deducted through no fault of their fans. If you're prepare to punish the poor then you have to prepare to punish the greedy.

I would love a 30 point deduction. That would be a clear indication that they should never attempt to do this again. However I think the best we can realistically hope for is 10. Anything else will be reduced on appeal.

Hopefully we get clarity over time on who we're the pioneers behind this but I very much doubt it.

3 hours ago, JoshBRFC said:

Poor attempt at fishing.

Jack Walker who funded us was a life long fan.

It makes it more palatable than the oil barons that he was a lifelong fan and understood the connections between the club and the community it represents... but it basically was the blueprint for clubs like Chelsea and City.

53 minutes ago, Harry said:

They are empty words for sure. In that I expect there will be a plan to right the wrongs of this and try again in future with a much better marketing spin to get fans onside.

However I think the sincerity that was there is his genuine concern for how much he's fucked up here and the potential it has to smash the FSG brand and hurt his LFC investment value. FSG for all their many failures still do strike me as the kind of owners that do care about their image and if the fans are ropeable with them they react maybe more than the Glazers, Ashley and Kroenke? 

The thing is, the decision to create a super league wasn’t formed over a night, a weekend, a few weeks, or even a few months. 

This had been in the works for as early as 2016 according to this: https://theblacksea.eu/stories/football-leaks-2018/foul-play/

Having a signed 177 legal document between 12 parties controlled by billionaires & with one of the largest financial institutions in the world indicates to me it was worked on for at least over a year.

There’s plenty of evidence that the idea of a super league would have been as hated as this proposal was for... pretty much ever since I first heard of the idea of a super league floated when I was a kid. It was only in 2019 where the manager they hired, who’s successfully raised Liverpool as a football club as a... football club and as a brand... came out very strongly against a super league like what was proposed.

Hell, FSG have really successfully marketed the club’s history and tradition as what makes the club special. But they then spat in the face of that history and tradition.

Actions speak louder than words, and their actions have shown them to be constantly looking out to squeeze as much cash from the club and don’t care how that impacts the fans. I genuinely believe FSG would have held firm on this had a sponsor not pulled it’s support of the club and other sponsors threatened to.

The words only come when it’s clear they’ll lose fans over their actions that are hostile to fans. It loses all sincerity when they keep doing the same sort of thing, but each time come back with something even more detrimental to the fans.

• Subscriber
3 hours ago, DeadLinesman said:

And yet it’s not a fairytale. So don’t act like it was. You’d spent millions to come from nothing to champions in 4 years. 

I'll put the tail on your fairy, y'cunt.

It was special! Very lucky to have a fan like him. :x

• Subscriber
43 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It makes it more palatable than the oil barons that he was a lifelong fan and understood the connections between the club and the community it represents... but it basically was the blueprint for clubs like Chelsea and City.

You have a point, and word it in a less cuntish way then Lip. We did pave the way for clubs like Chelsea to show it can be done. 

But i still don't think it's the same. Jack Walker had a couple of hundred Million unlike billions and billions, and he did it for one reason and that was that he loved the club. 

What a hero he was.

Just now, JoshBRFC said:

You have a point, and word it in a less cuntish way then Lip. We did pave the way for clubs like Chelsea to show it can be done. 

But i still don't think it's the same. Jack Walker had a couple of hundred Million unlike billions and billions, and he did it for one reason and that was that he loved the club. 

What a hero he was.

He did what I would have done if I was a millionaire with cash to burn and could have afforded a football club and had enough money to give it some short term success.

It’s definitely a bit different to radically changing the transfer market in the way Chelsea and City did... but he did do something pretty similar tbf. And I’m not sure he’d have been as keen to splash the cash if not for the league being rebranded as the prem.

Archived