talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

European Super League

football forum

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be honest it's a happy compromise IMO, the Super League would kill football for me so if they basically merge it with the Champions League I can just fuck that off and still enjoy domestic football. 

Anyone watching or taking pride in winning the new formatted Champions League is a cretin and shouldn't be taken seriously in any walk of life.

Smells of greed creating a tournament that sees clubs guaranteed more games at a group stage/league level. It smells of a desperate power grab by a handful of the biggest clubs to guarantee themselves riches year in, year out by ring-fencing themselves in this tournament. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Shameful. If this goes ahead, then football really is finished as we know it. The people calling the shots at these clubs just don't understand that the elite clubs would never have become what they are without the footballing pyramids in their countries. You'd hope that at least the players or coaches will remember where they came from and boycott the move but money talks. It's just sad really.

• Subscriber
7 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I think this would finish me off tbh. The thought of not following Liverpool crosses my mind more and more these days and this going ahead would only confirm that for me.

That's the thing though, they don't care. This project is the one where the pretence of compromising with the fans that form the foundations of a football club in a way that you don't see in many other sports comes to an end. We've reached the point where the people with the power to make these decisions are so out of touch that people like you feeling this way about a club you've followed your whole life don't even occur to them, let alone give them pause. You can't even take the piss as a rival fan for it making Liverpool, Man Utd look bad because it's an assault on football overall and nobody on the actual footballing side at any of these clubs would consider supporting it.

15 minutes ago, LFCMike said:

I think this would finish me off tbh. The thought of not following Liverpool crosses my mind more and more these days and this going ahead would only confirm that for me.

Not that I currently think about not following Liverpool in particular, but I am becoming more and more concerned with the direction of the sport. This would be my final nail as well, I just will not follow Liverpool on this stupid football destroying venture. Our fucking owners are arseholes for being involved in it. 

Hopefully, these joint statements is enough to put most of these clubs off going forward. Or it may do the opposite and fast track it. 

Really enjoyable to read the likes of UEFA and the Premier League talking about solidarity against self-interest and greed.

I don't like that this league is a (mostly) closed shop and the financial stuff that goes with that, but I honestly prefer this to the proposed changes to the Champions League which is also set to become a closed shop but with a worse competition format.

This won't go ahead in its current form though if the authorities hold their nerve. With clubs set to be banned from their domestic leagues they'll lose far too much from those 38 games for this competition to be worthwhile. Chances are this is a bargaining chip to influence UEFA as they redesign their club competitions

If this goes ahead, I don't want to hear anything about Chelsea and City being plastic clubs and Man U/Liverpool being 'proper' ones, because all they'll have done is tossed that status away and sold their soul for profit.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

If this goes ahead, I don't want to hear anything about Chelsea and City being plastic clubs and Man U/Liverpool being 'proper' ones, because all they'll have done is tossed that status away and sold their soul for profit.

There's one member who would be so confused right now xD

• The title was changed to European Super League

Archived