talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Explosion at Manchester MEN Arena

football forum

7 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Imagine being one of those parents standing outside waiting to collect your kid at the bottom of the steps and then hundreds start running out screaming. Your heart would stop.

Some of them would have had to wait hours for news too as many children without guardians were quickly ushered to hotels. Horrible thought.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I wake up to hear 19 people died and it's potentially a suicide bomber. In England. This happened here. Not an unstable country like Iraq or Afghanistan. Here. Damn. 

1 minute ago, Batard said:

I wake up to hear 19 people died and it's potentially a suicide bomber. In England. This happened here. Not an unstable country like Iraq or Afghanistan. Here. Damn. 

Paris? Stockholm? Berlin? Not exactly a new situation that it happens in the middle of Europe.

That it happened at an Ariana Grande concert with potentially many young people in the crowd makes this extra sad. 

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I care about my country and my fellow countryman more than I do for other nations. 

That's such an odd thing to read. 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

Paris? Stockholm? Berlin? Not exactly a new situation that it happens in the middle of Europe.

That it happened at an Ariana Grande concert with potentially many young people in the crowd makes this extra sad. 

Indeed, but consider the island / insular attitude that comes with living in England. There's a certain attitude of misplaced enlightenment that creates the notion that this country is safe from these sorts of situations 

5 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

I can see what he's trying to say though. Everyone is human but hearing about a load of people killed in Sweden or France is different to a load of people being killed an hour away from where you live.

Obviously you care more about your own as that's human instinct. You'd obviously prefer strangers to be killed than friends or loved ones but does that make you in the wrong too? Everyone is human, everyone deserves life and whenever something like this happens its a tragedy but I understand why FIB has made the comment that he did.

Of course it'd feel more surreal and severe if it happens a few kilometers from me. But if it happened in Berlin or Paris, I'd feel the same way about it. Why do I think or feel less of people that live/were born in a different country? It's not like we have a choice about where we're born anyway.  

29 minutes ago, Tsubasa said:

That's such an odd thing to read. 

For a Central European having grown up in a country where all forms of national identity has been awkward  while it processes the events of WW2 it probably is.

I empathise more with my own culture and people of that more than I do say Philippines or Thai folk. It's a global thing we all do it, it's why if you walked into a room full of 100 different nationalities you'd gravitate to the familiar. It's not odd it's probably inbuilt tribalism much the same as football evokes a tribal stiring in us. We subconsciously do it, German companies I've worked for always look after Germans above others it's not odd it's entirely normal 

2 hours ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Unless we tackle the issue at source we'll become like Israel eventually 

That is the future, if you are speaking about being checked at all public places.

For example, we are checked (patted down, metal detectors) at malls, grocery stores, train stations, offices, etc. England and other major cities in Europe is going to see the same.

@topic

RIP to victims. They targeted kids, which is beyond imaginable. The date is also not a coincidence.

The Prime Minister in a statement where she has suspended all General Election campaigning ends the statement by calling it a terrorist attack. I doubt it's an error of wording as she will be in the know.

What kind of animals target children and mothers?

I am disgusted to be a part of our species.

• Subscriber
13 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

The security services have identified the terrorist but won't release details yet as they obviously now have to shake down everyone connected to him in any way.

Do we know it's a man?

Edit: Just seen police confirmed

19 minutes ago, Cannabis said:

Something tells me his name won't be John Smith.

Just seen the photos of the bodies lying in the foyer. So chilling to know that I've been there dozens of times and can picture what must have happened quite clearly. It's absolutely disgraceful.

I agree. I have been the MEN numerous times too, It is scary knowing that I have been there. It is so heartbreaking knowing that children have been killed. My 2 daughters were going to go but it was sold out.

8 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Everyone on edge at the smallest thing. London Victoria was evacuated this morning as well. 

There's apparently been armed police and security shouting at everyone to get out of the shopping centre, not sure why.

1 hour ago, HoneyNUFC said:

This is quite a story

I still find it mind blowing how bad security at such events is. Many things could probably be prevented with proper bag checks etc. 

1 minute ago, Tsubasa said:

I still find it mind blowing how bad security at such events is. Many things could probably be prevented with proper bag checks etc. 

It's 21,000 people at that event with the majority being adolescent girls...  You can't blame the authorities on this particular one mate.

Archived