talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Explosion at Manchester MEN Arena

football forum

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said before that I'm always surprised and a little bit alarmed by the lack of security at big events in this country. In America you can't go to a major league sporting event without going through airport style security; in Marseille I had a metal detector wand waved over me before I could go into a shopping centre. In this country the most you'll get is a cursory bag check and maybe a pat down, and I'm convinced you could avoid that if you were so minded anyway.

But terrorist strategies have changed; they're attacking crowds outside of security (Brussels, Manchester) or areas that don't have security at all (Nice). Short of intercepting the attacker in advance, there's nothing security can do about that, because no matter how many layers you have, there will always be crowds of people waiting to get through them.

I swear sometimes I second guess myself wanting to bring a child into this world.

RIP to the victims and their families, I couldn't imagine losing my kids at a concert much less having them murdered by terrorists.

• Administrator

terrible news to wake up to this morning and hearing witnesses and first-hand accounts of what happened. Even more tragic when it really hits you there were thousands of kids caught up in the explosion. RIP to anyone that died :(

I can't even bear to imagine the feeling it must have been if you were inside the venue and heard the bomb go off in the outside foyer.

News that an 8 year-old has died, heartbreaking stuff.

30 minutes ago, Toony said:

I can't even bear to imagine the feeling it must have been if you were inside the venue and heard the bomb go off in the outside foyer.

News that an 8 year-old has died, heartbreaking stuff.

There's a recording from nearby but not that close and it's a huge fucking noise and then someone saying "what the fuck was that!?" So I also cannot imagine what it would be like to be inside the venue... it must have been fucking horrible.

These incidents are getting worse and worse. And I didn't think I'd say that after the Paris bombings. Targetting this concert was targeting children. There's no way you can tell me the intention of this was not to harm mostly children and their mothers. Fucking scum.

Salman Abedi is the name of the animal (I hate associating animals with this trash) that murdered all these people and injured many more.

What's known about him: Salman Abedi named as the Manchester suicide bomber - what we ...

The suicide bomber who killed 22 people and injured dozens more at the Manchester Arena has been named as 22-year-old Salman Abedi, according to US officials. 

Born in Manchester in 1994, the second youngest of four children his parents were Libyan refugees who came to the UK to escape the Gaddafi regime.

His mother, Samia Tabbal, 50, and father, Ramadan Abedi, a security officer, were both born in Libya but appear to have emigrated to London before moving to the Fallowfield area of south Manchester where they have lived for at least ten years.

After giving birth to two sons, they had son Hashem Abedi, now 20, and daughter Jomana, 18.

Jomana, who has two Facebook profiles, attended Whalley Range High School before apparently working at Didsbury Mosque in 2013.

Although born in Manchester, she states online that she is from Tripoli and has many Libyan connections. Her profile also makes reference to wearing a hijab.

Abedi grew up in the Whalley Range area, just yards from the local girl's high school, which hit the headlines in 2015 when twins and grade A pupils, Zahra and Salma Halane, who were both aspiring medical students, left their homes and moved to Isil controlled Syria.

There were unconfirmed reports in Manchester that the whole family apart from the two elder sons recently returned to Libya.

As with the Westminster atrocity in March, the most pressing question is whether Abedi was a so-called "lone wolf" or part of a wider terror cell.

On Tuesday, it was reported that the Islamic State group had claimed responsibility for the attack.

While the working theory is that the perpetrator triggered the blast alone, the national police counter-terror network, assisted by MI5, are urgently piecing together his background to see whether he had any help in planning the outrage.

They will be looking to build a picture of the attacker's movements both in recent weeks and months as well as immediately before the strike.

Another priority will be to establish whether any further linked attacks or copycat incidents are planned.

It is likely that the bomber's communications will form a significant part of the inquiry, while investigators will also be checking if he was known to authorities in any way.

One area of focus will be examining the remnants of the device used in the attack as officers work to establish whether the perpetrator built it himself or had help.

As well as seeking to identify any potential accomplices in Britain, authorities will also be looking into the possibility of any link to international groups.

In the first hours after an attack on this scale investigators were sifting through a number of theories as they work to settle on the most likely lines of inquiry.

The official threat level from international terrorism stands at severe in the UK - indicating that an attack is "highly likely". It has stood at this level - the second highest of five - since August 2014.

There has so far been no indication that this will change in the wake of the events in Manchester.

Shashank Joshi, senior research fellow at security think tank the Royal United Services Institute, said: "The most important point is that police have found the body of what they believe to be the lone suicide attacker.

"If they have identified him, they will be able to begin establishing his movements, his contacts, and his background.

"This, in turn, will help establish whether he acted alone, in concert with a small number of other conspirators, or as part of a larger network.

"The method of attack is likely to downgrade the likelihood that this was perpetrated by a far-right individual or group, as they have not typically used suicide bombers.

"We know that both al Qaida and Islamic State seek to conduct attacks in the UK, and that the UK's terror threat level has been at 'severe' for three years."

Commentators also pointed out that the Manchester attack took place on the fourth anniversary of the killing of Fusilier Lee Rigby in Woolwich, south-east London.

Chris Phillips, the former head of the National Counter Terrorism Security Office, told BBC Radio Four's Today programme: "That may be significant as well."

Meanwhile, Greater Manchester Police have confirmed a 23-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the attack.

8 hours ago, Panflute said:

On the anniversary of Lee Rigby's murder, so I doubt this is a coincidence.

22-05-13 Lee Rigby 
22-03-16 Brussels attack
22-07-16 Munich attack
22-03-17 London attack
22-05-17 Manchester attack 

8 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

22-05-13 Lee Rigby 
22-03-16 Brussels attack
22-07-16 Munich attack
22-03-17 London attack
22-05-17 Manchester attack 

That is bizarre and is too bizarre to be a co-incidence.

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, VanPanna said:

I believe the 22 is a verse of the Quran.

https://quran.com/22

googled 'the 22 Quran' and this came up.

Most of it just a load of gibberish and struggling to understand and how people get entwined and delve so deep in to this nonsensical shit. But they do :/ 

Name was released hours earlier in US press.

Isn't it a bit unnerving that whenever these attacks happen foreign intelligence agencies leak details of the murderer to their press rather than respecting the attacked nations security operation. I don't mean foreign as not British, I mean not of the attacked country, British press seem to get hold of leaked information before other countries police forces wish to release it as well. These reporters are then desperate to tell everyone in the West who it is. Just wait for the police you sad bastards.

It's a bit fucked up then when somewhere is attacked the police and intelligence services of that place ask their allies if they know anything about X person and the allies (I'm assuming here) then leak that name to their own press.

3 minutes ago, Stan said:

https://quran.com/22

googled 'the 22 Quran' and this came up.

Most of it just a load of gibberish and struggling to understand and how people get entwined and delve so deep in to this nonsensical shit. But they do :/ 

Yea very frightening on how they are so deep into this and get fed this bullshit from the likes of the cowards who brainwash these vulnerable people. 

3 minutes ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Name was released hours earlier in US press.

Isn't it a bit unnerving that whenever these attacks happen foreign intelligence agencies leak details of the murderer to their press rather than respecting the attacked nations security operation. I don't mean foreign as not British, I mean not of the attacked country, British press seem to get hold of leaked information before other countries police forces wish to release it as well. These reporters are then desperate to tell everyone in the West who it is. Just wait for the police you sad bastards.

It's a bit fucked up then when somewhere is attacked the police and intelligence services of that place ask their allies if they know anything about X person and the allies (I'm assuming here) then leak that name to their own press.

Well unfortunately the media are part of the problem in the world today.. 

• Subscriber

One of the first two confirmed dead goes to college at Runshaw in Leyland where I work at a secondary school. She'll be a class mate to several of the Year 11 kids I taught last year. Kids in my form and rest of the school genuinely scared that they're in danger, one of my colleagues was at the MEN on Saturday night to see Take That.

Too close to home. 

• Subscriber

Also not keen on the fact that the name of the suspect has been released. One of the biggest reasons for home grown extremism is young people being exploited because they feel invisible or that they don't have anything to believe in. Publishing the names of terrorists is wrong for me, it's exactly what they want. Should just be "a 23 year old man has been arrested in relation to the incident" and that's that.

Ideal world though. In this day and age there's no way the name stays under wraps. 

• Administrator

i don't get how they can identify the bomber so soon? he's a suicide bomber, he must have been blown to bits. Forgive me for being so naive, but I don't get how authorities can be so quick and certain with this kind of thing.

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, Stan said:

i don't get how they can identify the bomber so soon? he's a suicide bomber, he must have been blown to bits. Forgive me for being so naive, but I don't get how authorities can be so quick and certain with this kind of thing.

I don't think they have? Just arrested an associate as far as I've seen. 

Archived