Getafe vs Granada, 17.30
Real Sociedad vs Huesca, 20.00

Monday 26th October, 2020
Levante vs Celta Vigo, 20.00

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

He should have left in the summer in all honesty.

He wanted to. Now he’ll leave on a free and Barca’s board will continue to wonder how things have gone so wrong when the answer is right in the mirror. 

Ramos may have been a suspect defender his entire career, but his big game performances makes him an absolute legend. 

23 minutes ago, Cicero said:

He wanted to. Now he’ll leave on a free and Barca’s board will continue to wonder how things have gone so wrong when the answer is right in the mirror. 

Ramos may have been a suspect defender his entire career, but his big game performances makes him an absolute legend. 

The difference between him and Piqué when it comes to leadership is insane. 

Messi needs to leave in order to be guaranteed Champions league medals they say(when is it ever guaranteed?) but where to though?

City look awful this season(and how many Champs leagues have they actually won?), Liverpool have recently been absolutely battered off an average side and their injury problems could damage them, all the Italian teams are full of old has-beens, PSG play in a league that even I could score in and Dortmund have a lovely team, but not one that wins. Chelsea have spent shitloads of money but look like an ordinary team, Man United don't seem to be progressing at all..most of these clubs themselves are actually going through rebuilding processes themselves.

That leaves just Bayern. But they are never interested in 34 year olds, whoever that player is. 

Personally I think this young team is showing alot of signs for a potentially exciting future, but that awful centre back partnership needs addressing and a top number 9 needs bringing in. But this team has a future ahead of it. Dest, Fati, Pedri, Araújo, de Jong, Ter Stegen(still plenty of years for a keeper), etc. The club need to continue this policy of purchasing young players and bringing them through the system. Spending loads of money on over priced shit hasn't worked in recent years and it's time to build for the future. It'll take time but it'll be worth it in the near future if done correctly.

We have seen alot of positive signs from this young team this season, but you can't expect too much too soon as it's a work in progress and the 2 stand outs last night(Dest and Fati) are only 17 and 19 years of age respectively. It was infact an even first half and in the first 15 of the second half, Barcelona were the ones building momentum until that that dubious penalty decision where Lenglet barely had hold of Ramos' shirt and he jumped onto the floor. Never a penalty, it was more a yellow card for diving and without that dubious decision, it could have been a different result.

Ter Stegen

Dest -- [DEF] -- Lenglet -- Alba

Busquets -- de Jong

Fati -- Messi -- Dembélé/Trincao

[Striker]

That would be a competitive side, one with age on its side that would only keep improving. I could see Dembélé slowly growing into his own if he finally stays injury free this season also as he's being bled into the team slowly, rather than rushed from his injury and you can see him improving, as shown against the Hungarians last week. That would be a big boost itself(but not one you can count on at the same time), because for however talented Pedri is, and however much he has shown, he's still too raw and not ready for these big occasions yet at just 17 years of age.

Suarez should have been kept for another season(unless someone better was available), with work being done on the defence, such as a top defender coming in, and the young Eric García to compliment him. I also believe that, although he makes his mistakes, Lenglet would be much more assured if partnered with a top defender. He's a talented young defender, but like a young Pique 10 years, he needs to be partnering a warrior. 

Griezmann should have been the one who was sold rather than Suarez. Then next season you look at replacing Suarez and Busquets and build gradually.

This team does lack leaders though, but that's where Messi himself is supposed to come in. He's supposed to be the captain. Himself, Alba and Busquets need to asume this responsibility.

I believe this side are a couple of star players away from being very competitive. I'm not saying these signings are possible, simply using examples, but if Barcelona were able to bring in, say Mbappe and Van Dijk(before his injury of course), along with Eric García and Cucurella(for extra depth) that alone would improve this side ten fold in my opinion. 

Alba still has plenty left, but needs competition as he needs resting alot more nowadays.

But this team is a work in progress and with a few players in the correct positions(the 4 mentioned above), would be a cracking little side. Also the perfect time for Messi to occuy the role he should be occupying at this stage in his career. A false 9 was Messi 8 years ago. 

That scoreline didn't tell the story of how the game was before the dubious penalty either for me.

One positive is Dest. He was brilliant yesterday. He's also impressed when playing out of position at left back. These are the type of signings the club should be making.

22 hours ago, Cicero said:

Barca submitting a complaint that the official in charge had connections to Real Madrid. 

Embarrassing. The official was nearly faultless too. 

The penalty decision was ridiculous though and changed the game as it could have been much different without that. I wouldn't say a complaint makes any sense though.

Selling Suarez without a replacement and not purchasing a top centre back is what needs complaining about as this is a very good, rejuvenated team for me, but lacks 2 top players in the starting line up and 2 to offer depth.

Another one is getting Dembélé up to scratch. He looked class against the Hungarians last week, but before that looked scared in other games after such a lengthy injury. Bleeding him into the team slowly could be the key to finally keeping him fit as that's the only thing that has stopped him and never his talent.

If he can stay fit and a top centre back and striker is purchased, that is a bright team for the future.

The positives were Fati and Dest. Especially Dest, he was brilliant.

As for Koeman, I think he made his subs way too late but you can't blame him for the selection as he lacks players in certain areas which forces these decisions. 

Ter Stegen

Dest -- [DEF] - Lenglet - Alba

De Jong - Busquets/Pjanic

Fati -- Messi -- Dembélé

[Striker]

Imagine a solid defender in his mid 20s and a top young forward in that team, with Dembélé finally staying fit and Messi playing the role he should be in at this stage of his career? It'd be a different side from that alone. Add to that Eric García and Cucurella for competition and that's an interesting side with a strong bench when adding Neto, Araújo, Pedri, Trincao and Coutinho(Id say Puig aswell but I don't see where he'd fit in the current formation unfortunately. The main objective from there would then be about looking for a midfielder as Busquets is coming to an end and Pjanic isn't young anymore. 

Another problem is this Corona nonsense, it's going to hit Spanish clubs(including Barça and Real) far harder than English ones and that makes it difficult itself. 

Either way, it's a work in progress, a young team is being built for the future and that's what the club have been lacking massively in recent years. 

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

Another problem is this Corona nonsense, it's going to hit Spanish clubs(including Barça and Real) far harder than English ones and that makes it difficult itself. 

How come? I'm guessing it's in relation to how the money is filtered around clubs in the top league, and then even worse in La Liga 2 and below?

25 minutes ago, Carnivore Chris said:

The penalty decision was ridiculous though and changed the game as it could have been much different without that. I wouldn't say a complaint makes any sense though.

Was it? Lenglet clearly tugged Ramos when he was going to it.  Him pulling on his kit had Ramos redirected from the ball he would've clearly won. 

28 minutes ago, Stan said:

How come? I'm guessing it's in relation to how the money is filtered around clubs in the top league, and then even worse in La Liga 2 and below?

The Premier league generates alot more money and no fans is a big one when you consider the price of tickets. I'm guessing this will affect all leagues but you'd expect the Premier league to be affected the least in the end.

But it'll be a blessing in disguise for Barcelona I think as developing a young team makes sense to me even if it means a few years of "suffering". 

• The title was changed to La Liga 2020/21 - Week 7 Fixtures - 23-26th October, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived