The better place to talk football.

Liverpool 2-1 Sheff Utd - Saturday 24th October, 2020

football forum

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber
Just now, Burning Gold said:

I saw that but missed the decision being changed. Did he go to the screen, or was it phoned in from above?

VAR called it and told him to change the decision. Dean never went to the screen to review it.

2 minutes ago, Mel81x said:

VAR called it and told him to change the decision. Dean never went to the screen to review it.

I can only assume they didn't check whether it was actually a foul (was it fuck), just whether McBurnie's foot was on the 18 yard line

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMike said:

I can only assume they didn't check whether it was actually a foul (was it fuck), just whether McBurnie's foot was on the 18 yard line

When you see who's in the VAR box I think that assumption is 100% true.

Just now, LFCMike said:

That's what I'm thinking as well. My guess is they consider in or out of the box as one of those binary things like offside - i.e., no such thing as "clear and obvious"

2 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

WTF? So now it doesn't matter if its a foul or not, just where the incident happened?

Fuck me... This is our new football ladies and gentlemen. You should have been careful what you wished for!

Feels like the Pickford one last week where they've just forgotten to check part of it. Incompetent

5 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Yep

So when considering whether it was a penalty or not... they didn’t even think to consider to look if it was even a foul in the first place?

It’s just another example of VAR amplifying a referee mistake. Mike Dean incorrectly giving a free kick on the edge of the box is far less harmful of an error than VAR incorrectly giving a penalty away.

VAR should be making decisions better, not worse. I can’t imagine the intention of VAR was to have it implemented like it was for that incident.

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

I'm glad that VAR has cleared up all controversy around refereeing decisions and made refereeing less of a talking point.

What a joke. Just give it up.

The whole system is flawed from top to bottom. Needs fucking scrapping and taken back to the spirit in which football was intended to be played.

• Subscriber
Just now, LFCMadLad said:

The whole system is flawed from top to bottom. Needs fucking scrapping and taken back to the spirit in which football was intended to be played.

I think football was right to trial it but wrong to persist given it's created even more controversy. It's encouraged the creation of rules deprived of common sense. It's made the whole situation around officiating be scrutinised beyond belief. It doesn't work and it never ever will, tampering with the spontaneity of the game is the most dangerous thing you can do, it's the beauty of why the sport is the most popular in the world and taking that away is a very risky move.

Own up to the error and get rid. It's utter shite.

I think it offends people so much because most of us live lives where we could each be ruined by a monumental fuck up at work.

Meanwhile, referees seem to be able to make drastic errors, in spite of all possible protection and assistance possible being provided, and they just drift on happily to the next one. 

They have a privilege which most professionals can only dream of - they have the ability to make decisions in hindsight - and they still make mistakes. 

1 minute ago, Dan said:

I think football was right to trial it but wrong to persist given it's created even more controversy. It's encouraged the creation of rules deprived of common sense. It's made the whole situation around officiating be scrutinised beyond belief. It doesn't work and it never ever will, tampering with the spontaneity of the game is the most dangerous thing you can do, it's the beauty of why the sport is the most popular in the world and taking that away is a very risky move.

Own up to the error and get rid. It's utter shite.

Couldn't agree more.

• Subscriber
8 minutes ago, Inverted said:

I think it offends people so much because most of us live lives where we could each be ruined by a monumental fuck up at work.

Meanwhile, referees seem to be able to make drastic errors, in spite of all possible protection and assistance possible being provided, and they just drift on happily to the next one. 

They have a privilege which most professionals can only dream of - they have the ability to make decisions in hindsight - and they still make mistakes. 

I think they're aiming for a goal that they simply won't ever reach in terms of correct decisions. It is impossible to get 100%, consistent decisions. Too much variation.

• The title was changed to Liverpool 2-1 Sheff Utd - Saturday 24th October, 2020
  • The topic was unpinned

Archived