talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Southampton 2-0 Everton - Sunday 25th October, 2020

football forum

17 minutes ago, RandoEFC said:

But we do agree, this is the exact point I was trying to make. I was even going to use some of the Suarez-based pearl clutching that used to happen but couldn't fit it in. The media went way over the top with him at times as well, which is saying something when he literally bit other players. Liverpool are a highly emotive club for a lot of people, a) because they have a lot of fans and b) because they're massive rivals of Man Utd and Everton who also have a lot of fans who hate Liverpool more than any other team and c) because they're one of the most successful clubs in the country which makes a lot of other neutrals dislike them too. It is the same for Man Utd. Whenever there's a big hot take related to either club, the media milk it to wring out as many clicks and reactions.

You've missed a reason in your next paragraph. The fact that Pickford is England's goalkeeper makes anything involving him twice the story it would usually be, I still don't understand this phenomenon in the English media but it's there too.

And I have no problem with Wijnaldum giving an honest answer to that question. In fact you'd expect it from a club and international team mate when your local rivals were the ones on the other side of it. What gets my goat is the way parts of the media ask that to try and get a reaction that'll make a good headline. They've been doing it all week up until the point where Ancelotti was asked on Friday if he specifically mentioned that James picked up a knock from the challenge with Van Dijk as a way of point scoring or words to that effect. They know what they're doing and I'm glad he made reference to it after the game. Too often our managers have sat on the fence in circumstances like this in the past and rolled over when the media have tried to use us as part of an unfavourable rhetoric.

All fair points. And perhaps my experience as a Liverpool fan that in my lifetime has had some keepers that played for England (David James & Chris Kirkland)... I guess it's easy for me to think "I am not that sympathetic to what the press is doing to Everton."

Tbh, I think more clubs should get to deal with the schizophrenic media coverage that big clubs get. You can see your club go from universally praised, to utter pariah, to back to being universally praised in just the span of a few weeks. It lets you know which journalists/pundits actually think for themselves, and which ones just do whatever their editors/producers tell them to do, tbh.

Honestly, the club where the fans I think should have the biggest gripe with the media are Newcastle. They're told to not have any ambition with their club or hope for anything more than top flight football, constantly. They're told they're entitled because they want the football their club to play to... not be totally fucking shite to watch. And they're told to shut up and be happy with Mike Ashley's shite leadership at the club.

It's no wonder they were clamouring for a serial human rights abuser that literally had a journalist dismembered to take them over after years of dealing with journalists telling them that bullshit. :ph34r:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Ancelotti actually, I think what he said about the media is fine. I don't necessarily think he's wrong.

It's the van Dijk one that's weird for me. Okay, if he reckons James had a knock, I believe him, but I can't remember another instance of a manager naming the opposition player involved in a relatively innocuous collision like that. Someone might say Klopp and Pickford but that's not the same thing. Even Richard Keys could've figured out that it was Pickford who forced van Dijk off and there was all the red card stuff around it. It's pretty transparent from Ancelotti and a bit snide. I'd expect that sort of thing from Hodgson or Lampard, but I thought Carlo was better than that

Just now, Stan said:

That's pretty decent for Everton, still shit for them to have him out for one match because imo he's one of their best players. But one match out is better than 3. I can see why he's still suspended, for the reasons I've given above I think it's easy to uphold the decision to send him off. But for all the points @RandoEFC made, it's probably why it's been downgraded.

So I guess this is one of those weird times where I think the appeal of a decision actually comes up with a pretty fair result?

19 hours ago, Burning Gold said:

On Ancelotti actually, I think what he said about the media is fine. I don't necessarily think he's wrong.

It's the van Dijk one that's weird for me. Okay, if he reckons James had a knock, I believe him, but I can't remember another instance of a manager naming the opposition player involved in a relatively innocuous collision like that. Someone might say Klopp and Pickford but that's not the same thing. Even Richard Keys could've figured out that it was Pickford who forced van Dijk off and there was all the red card stuff around it. It's pretty transparent from Ancelotti and a bit snide. I'd expect that sort of thing from Hodgson or Lampard, but I thought Carlo was better than that

"I don't think it's a red card, he didn't see him,” Klopp told Sky Sports.

sadio-mane-ederson-manchester-city-liver

• Subscriber
16 minutes ago, Stan said:

Seems more fair without upsetting all the snowflakes who are suddenly pretending to believe that Everton get all the decisions go their way. 

Nkounkou did really well in his League Cup appearances so hopefully he can step up for the Newcastle game. Good experience for him at minimum.

15 minutes ago, Burning Gold said:

Sorry mate, you're going to have to explain how that's relevant?

I'm likely to have misinterpreted that but I'd like you to expand on what exactly you found so snide about Ancelotti's comments that you'd expect from other managers? 

7 minutes ago, Cicero said:

I'm likely to have misinterpreted that but I'd like you to expand on what exactly you found so snide about Ancelotti's comments that you'd expect from other managers? 

It's naming the opposition player involved in the innocuous collision that's resulted in a minor injury. Fair enough if he'd been forced off by it, but he wasn't (and ended up missing zero game time). Just no need for it and the only reason I can think of is that he's trying to incite some sort of pile-on, which is particularly snide when you consider van Dijk has actually just suffered a pretty serious injury.

It's grass behaviour and a bit whiny

I think you thought I meant him complaining about the sending off? I actually don't have a problem with that. In theory, sure, you should respect the referees. But in reality if you've just been diddled by them yet again with no indication they'll be held accountable, and the players on the pitch are getting away with all sorts of dissent, I'm not bothered by it either way.

• Subscriber

I don't think it's really a big deal, or any sort of deal at all. He was describing the incident where Rodriguez got hurt. I'd be naive not to acknowledge that maybe all the coverage over last week about big, bad Everton being stupid thugs etc. etc. contributed to him mentioning Van Dijk, and the collision in question was definitely him "leaving one on" Rodriguez, but it's more "look, they were aggressive to us as well in that game" than trying to incite a pile-on.

Managers stick up for their players and their teams. I can't be arsed digging out examples but Klopp will have done something similar countless times for Dortmund and Liverpool players just like every other manager. 

Archived