• Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Red Dead Redemption 2

football forum

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, The Artful Dodger said:

Anyone got this, thoughts? I'm staying away, think it might be a bit overwhelming with all the detail.

Have played about 30 hours so far. Definitely a better story than the last one, plenty of twists and turns with a more diverse, interactive and deeper cast of characters too. The weapon dynamics are tougher to handle IMO but that's no bad thing. As with all Rockstar games, the graphics (even on my ancient TV) and detail are superb. 

There is definitely a lot to be going at in terms of completion, but you are free to just plough straight through the mission storylines and ignore the rest. One surprising revelation has been just how fun it is to play - the tasks aren't 100% all guns blazing - nice mix of shooting, stealth, tactical and downright bizarre missions. 

So I said I was going to hold off on getting it, but I had a hard time sleeping last night... so I bought the digital copy lol. It's fucking beautiful, I haven't played very much just a few hours. But the attention to detail is unreal. And it's gone from being a GTA in the west with a great story to an incredible simulation of being a cowboy. There's a lot to keep track of and shite like storing weapons and stuff on your horse is a bit different and slows the pace down a bit... but holy fuck is it immersive. By the time I was actually tired enough to sleep I only had a couple of hours before I had to leave for work xD

2 minutes ago, Cicero said:

The realism is incredible. Surely the best graphics out there. 

Saw a video of a user getting attacked by a bear. Amazing. 

Saw my mate play a tiny bit on Saturday and he ended up going full pelt into a tree. Most games would either make the character flinch a little or the AI would just bypass the tree, so I was in hysterics when I saw him twat the tree and both him and the horse get crunched and collapse on the floor.

I always love the little things in games.

On ‎31‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:54, Bluebird Hewitt said:

Saw my mate play a tiny bit on Saturday and he ended up going full pelt into a tree. Most games would either make the character flinch a little or the AI would just bypass the tree, so I was in hysterics when I saw him twat the tree and both him and the horse get crunched and collapse on the floor.

I always love the little things in games.

The little details in this game, both graphically and with core game mechanics (keeping your cores and your horse's cores up, keeping track of your horse which has become much more important than it was in the sequel, how the bounty system/recognition system works based on the changes you make to your beard/hair/clothes, are incredible. And the graphics and animations are hands down the best I've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 21/11/2018 at 01:10, Cicero said:

What's ahead of it? 

God of War, Spiderman, Far Cry 5. All with pretty good story lines of their own and game mechanics that aren't as generic driven as RDR (still great game imo).

It's a strange one for me, I hammered it for just over two weeks when it came out and finished the main story line but since then I haven't even thought about playing it. It is exceptional in terms of attention to detail and graphics, but I almost feel as if it is too much - the map is fucking huge and the amount of utterley random and minute bits and pieces required for 100% makes it more like a chore than anything. Might give it another go later this week for general in game messing about, but I am really struggling to get as dedicated to it as I was the original or GTA 4 for example.

I’m still tempted to get this... I’ll be bored of FIFA soon and am playing Witcher 3 because I’m slow to getting around to things (that game still holds up incredibly well). School holidays in 2 weeks so think I’ll go for it then... 

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Toinho said:

I’m still tempted to get this... I’ll be bored of FIFA soon and am playing Witcher 3 because I’m slow to getting around to things (that game still holds up incredibly well). School holidays in 2 weeks so think I’ll go for it then... 

think you'll find Red Dead's novelty wears off pretty quick if you've played the original or any of the GTA franchise but the story is good and I recommend it just for the environment and all the exploring it offers. As a game its rather solid but from a 'freshness' perspective I can't see anything to call it a AAA title, this has been my gripe with GTA as well. Plus, you're coming off Witcher which imo is still a phenomenal game. I'd recommend trying Dark Souls if you've played Witcher but that's a path I only suggest if you have the patience to die a lot before you finally get a hang of things.

On 29/11/2018 at 21:33, Mel81x said:

think you'll find Red Dead's novelty wears off pretty quick if you've played the original or any of the GTA franchise but the story is good and I recommend it just for the environment and all the exploring it offers. As a game its rather solid but from a 'freshness' perspective I can't see anything to call it a AAA title, this has been my gripe with GTA as well. Plus, you're coming off Witcher which imo is still a phenomenal game. I'd recommend trying Dark Souls if you've played Witcher but that's a path I only suggest if you have the patience to die a lot before you finally get a hang of things.

The original was probably my favourite game before this one came around. Now I can safely say this is my favourite game. I don’t think any developer does open worlds like Rockstar and the narratives they tell in these very believable worlds they create, with compelling characters (like John Marston from the first and Arthur Morgan here) is great. Arthur Morgan was such a great character. And the epilogue is a bit slow paced, but if you enjoyed the first one it’s so good. And that final mission is fairly fucking cathartic.

I very rarely ever shoot for 100% completion after finishing a main campaign in a game. But I’m 83% of the way done with the single player even after being 100% done with the story and I feel compelled to get everything done.

I hadn’t touched the multiplayer until last night, but I formed a posse with some friends and had a lot of fun despite me hating GTA Online.

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The original was probably my favourite game before this one came around. Now I can safely say this is my favourite game. I don’t think any developer does open worlds like Rockstar and the narratives they tell in these very believable worlds they create, with compelling characters (like John Marston from the first and Arthur Morgan here) is great. Arthur Morgan was such a great character. And the epilogue is a bit slow paced, but if you enjoyed the first one it’s so good. And that final mission is fairly fucking cathartic.

I very rarely ever shoot for 100% completion after finishing a main campaign in a game. But I’m 83% of the way done with the single player even after being 100% done with the story and I feel compelled to get everything done.

I hadn’t touched the multiplayer until last night, but I formed a posse with some friends and had a lot of fun despite me hating GTA Online.

I think the original was fantastic and this one is too but to call it something new and fresh to me is still very hard. I don't mind games where you grind to a 100% god knows I've poured hours into some (The new Mario, Spiderman) but the novelty does wear off after a while and this feels like Rockstar growing up more than the gung-ho open-element that they used to do so well (Vice City is still their best game for me, that radio oh that radio). 

Didn't really give multiplayer a chance but I think I will once Darksiders is complete.

7 hours ago, Mel81x said:

I think the original was fantastic and this one is too but to call it something new and fresh to me is still very hard. I don't mind games where you grind to a 100% god knows I've poured hours into some (The new Mario, Spiderman) but the novelty does wear off after a while and this feels like Rockstar growing up more than the gung-ho open-element that they used to do so well (Vice City is still their best game for me, that radio oh that radio). 

Didn't really give multiplayer a chance but I think I will once Darksiders is complete.

I think Red Dead is sort of more Rockstar’s more grown up franchises though. It’s still got plenty of light humour, but compared to any GTA they’re more slow and with a grittier story. Also Vice City was ace but back then Rockstar games were about the sandbox more than the open world narrative, which the shift went to pretty heavily with GTA4 & RDR.

What I like about this one is that everything that made the first one great and everything that I liked about the latest Zelda is taken up to a next level. The way side missions can make an impact on how some story missions play out is also a nice touch, sort of blending some of the stranger quests with story missions.

I think the story is also just so fucking good. The character development is excellent and they did a great job making me hate some characters and like others.

I think everything about the game screams high production budget and a long production time. And I’m glad it shows, it’s a great follow up to one of the best games ever.

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber

I was in the same boat as bluebird, came home after I got it for Christmas had a night free to finally play but as soon as I saw one disc labled "data disc" I knew i was doomed.. 3 hours later it installed xD

Anyways Im about 20% into the story now and I have to say the game is fantastic. Ive only played 20% because theres so much to explore and so many little things to discover. Ill spoiler tag this bit I came accross the other day;

I was riding up north finishing up a side quest (the one where you meet and take pictures of the famed gun slingers) and I rode by two men with a guy hogtied to the horse and the guy yells out for help I turned around and shot them both and freed the guy and the guy tells you about some funny business going on in the back of the doctors office in Valentine. It opens up a robbery opportunity you wouldnt have come accross another way Im assuming. The robbery itself was fun, super hectic as I figured out pretty quickly theres only one way in and one way out and the law gets tipped off with all the shooting, sure enough your shooting your way out as well. Fucking gem of a game.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived