talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Post-Season Friendlies

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have nothing against these. Nice for overseas fans to get the chance to see the team as well. 

It's the pre-season ones with no real thought about preparation for the season that I have a problem with. 

They're a money making exercise, as are pre-season tours to far flung destinations.

Travelling for hours on end to play matches in 40 degree heat on rock hard pitches with few patches of grass that are comparable to pitches in the Ryman Division One North isn't done for anything else but to generate income in football mad areas like Asia. 

Its quite funny that managers then moan in December that their players are tired. 

• Subscriber

Don't mind it - rather they do it now.

Good team bonding, can just relax, all expenses paid trip for them together, no pressure - building up the fanbase abroad and making money. Don't see any harm in it 

So far booked:

vs Arsenal - 22.7.2017 - Beijing

vs Bayern Munchen - 25.7.2017 - Singapore

vs Inter Milan - 29.7.2017 - Singapore  

Usually prefer a European pre season, but we usually book a few games in Europe as well.

49 minutes ago, Smiley Culture said:

They're a money making exercise, as are pre-season tours to far flung destinations.

Travelling for hours on end to play matches in 40 degree heat on rock hard pitches with few patches of grass that are comparable to pitches in the Ryman Division One North isn't done for anything else but to generate income in football mad areas like Asia. 

Its quite funny that managers then moan in December that their players are tired. 

You’re spot-on with your first comment. All about the £££. 

But I was confused by the part you wrote in which I bolded. In Liverpool’s case, for example, I’m 99% sure that it wasn’t Klopp’s decision to plan a post-season friendly in Oz, right?! It’s the money-men, the Ian Ayres.  

On a slight tangent, I don’t think Liverpool have included Coutinho in their squad to take over there. Read into that as you will. But they have included Gerrard, McManaman, Carra, Agger, which I think is pretty cool for the fans. 

2 hours ago, HoneyNUFC said:

Liverpool are off to Australia for a post season friendly.

Where do people stand on these?

Its a shame they picked Sydney.

I went to the game at the MCG a few years ago that was their first foray down under. It was hugely exciting. 96,000 people wearing red. Friends flew in from all over the country. Atmosphere from a fan participation perspective was actually better than at Anfield when i went there 2 years later. I guess because so many there believed it would be the only time they ever saw Liverpool in the flesh.

Make it a once every couple years event and you won't get those same crowds and enthusiasm but you'll still get the revenue. 

• Subscriber
4 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Nope, you lot are a nothing club whilst us, Spurs, Arsenal, United, City & Chelsea just pull further away :coffee:

Let's give them Arsenal and United and just go it alone with us, City and Chelsea

4 minutes ago, Storts said:

What did this Shankly fella ever win though? 

Bill Shankly, 14-Apr-1964 (Picture by PA PA Archive/PA Images)
1959 – 1974
Honours:
Div 1 Champions 1964, 1966, 1973
Div 2 Champions 1962
FA Cup winners 1965, 74
UEFA Cup winners 1973

Took Liverpool from second division mediocrity to 3 times division 1 champions and laid the foundations for Paisley to take over Europe :D

• Subscriber
9 minutes ago, LFCMadLad said:

Bill Shankly, 14-Apr-1964 (Picture by PA PA Archive/PA Images)
1959 – 1974
Honours:
Div 1 Champions 1964, 1966, 1973
Div 2 Champions 1962
FA Cup winners 1965, 74
UEFA Cup winners 1973

Took Liverpool from second division mediocrity to 3 times division 1 champions and laid the foundations for Paisley to take over Europe :D

Thought that was his brother Bill?

• Subscriber
6 minutes ago, HK85 said:

Very similar to Sherwood laying the foundations down for Pochettino. 

Tim doesn't get enough credit. 

:219_fisherman_fishing_at_a_lake:

Don't you start that again 

Archived