talkfootball365
  • Welcome to talkfootball365!

The better place to talk football.

Steven Gerrard - How's He Doing?

football forum

I havent followed Gerrard's career as manager as much as I'd have liked to so I literally know next to nothing about his progression so far other than catching a few of Rangers results now and again.

Whats he like? How does he carry himself in interviews/press conferences etc? Whats his tactics/style of play? Is he a good man manager or does he leave that side of it to his coaching staff?

These are the type of things I would like to find out about him. If anyone could give any insight (however small or in depth), it would be very much appreciated. 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • The title was changed to Steven Gerrard - How's He Doing?

Rangers are going to struggle when he leaves. The players we've been able to attract because of his name is night and day.

We've yet to win anything under Gerrard though.

We play really good football and our defence is solid. Carries himself really well with the media. Everyone is always trying to get him to bite but he never does. He's always focused on talking about Rangers and Rangers only.

His man management is pretty good from what I've heard.

22 hours ago, LFCMadLad said:

I havent followed Gerrard's career as manager as much as I'd have liked to so I literally know next to nothing about his progression so far other than catching a few of Rangers results now and again.

Whats he like? How does he carry himself in interviews/press conferences etc? Whats his tactics/style of play? Is he a good man manager or does he leave that side of it to his coaching staff?

These are the type of things I would like to find out about him. If anyone could give any insight (however small or in depth), it would be very much appreciated. 

4-3-2-1

Width from the full backs, and with two '10s' playing behind a lone striker. Their full backs are very good going forward and rack up a lot of assists.

Doesn't seem to defer from it often, even against Celtic or games in Europe (much to recent success). Their formation allows them to flood the middle of the pitch and force the play wider (which made Celtic's 3-5-2 last week utterly baffling).

One criticism of him is that he seems reluctant to 'take the handbrake off' and often still plays with his two defensive midfielders (Jack and Kamara) in games where they would be dominate anyway.

Would say that he has now assembled a squad with enough depth to really compete for the league, cup and European competitions. Previously, the amount of games racked up by his first choices took its toll and led to them flattening badly in the second half of seasons.

Doesn't seem to have a lot of faith in blooding youth players and as such, has had the highest average age in the Scottish Premiership.

6 hours ago, Rab said:

Rangers are going to struggle when he leaves. The players we've been able to attract because of his name is night and day.

We play really good football and our defence is solid. Carries himself really well with the media. Everyone is always trying to get him to bite but he never does. He's always focused on talking about Rangers and Rangers only.

His man management is pretty good from what I've heard.

Thanks Rab, I'm going to try and follow his progress more closely from now on.

3 minutes ago, ScoRoss said:

4-3-2-1

Width from the full backs, and with two '10s' playing behind a lone striker. Their full backs are very good going forward and rack up a lot of assists.

Doesn't seem to defer from it often, even against Celtic or games in Europe (much to recent success). Their formation allows them to flood the middle of the pitch and force the play wider (which made Celtic's 3-5-2 last week utterly baffling).

One criticism of him is that he seems reluctant to 'take the handbrake off' and often still plays with his two defensive midfielders (Jack and Kamara) in games where they would be dominate anyway.

Would say that he has now assembled a squad with enough depth to really compete for the league, cup and European competitions. Previously, the amount of games racked up by his first choices took its toll and led to them flattening badly in the second half of seasons.

Doesn't seem to have a lot of faith in blooding youth players and as such, has had the highest average age in the Scottish Premiership.

Cheers mate 👍 

• Subscriber
On 26/10/2020 at 13:58, Rab said:

That 9_9 but it's early days yet but if Stevo can stop the Hoops from getting 10 in a row this season he will become a hero as it will remain Gers & the Hoops 9 in a row clubs.

Gerrard does not have an owner like Sir David Murray that gave the likes of Souness & Walter Smith millions to buy players like Gazza, Woods, Terry Butcher, Roberts to name a few and be able to equal Celtics 9 in a row, sadly though he won't do that and sooner or later if Klopp leaves Liverpool Gerrard will head back to his beloved Liverpool, but, he will have to win things with the Gers first just like Souness did when he left and went back to Anfield as a manager.

23 hours ago, ScoRoss said:

He switched it up completely against Celtic which is why we won it so easily. We done our homework and Celtic didn't.

Barasic and Tavernier barely ran up the flanks unless they were 100% safe to do so. We kept drawing their full backs towards Tav and Barasic which made so much space in behind for us to attack.

14 hours ago, Rab said:

He switched it up completely against Celtic which is why we won it so easily. We done our homework and Celtic didn't.

Barasic and Tavernier barely ran up the flanks unless they were 100% safe to do so. We kept drawing their full backs towards Tav and Barasic which made so much space in behind for us to attack.

Sounds like he is fairly flexible tacticly then? 

Someone mentioned above that he's not really interested in blooding youngsters. Is that because he doesn't trust them (Mourinho esque), or is it simply because Rangers don't have the required talent coming through? 

On 28/10/2020 at 10:40, LFCMadLad said:

Sounds like he is fairly flexible tacticly then? 

Someone mentioned above that he's not really interested in blooding youngsters. Is that because he doesn't trust them (Mourinho esque), or is it simply because Rangers don't have the required talent coming through? 

Rangers definitely have the talent coming through. We recently sold Billy Gilmour to Chelsea and Dire Mabude to Man City.

I think because Rangers are in a tricky spot right now in terms of being completely trophyless for a long time, he can't afford to play inexperienced players. Rangers fans fully expect us to win the league this year and if he was to bring on a youngster that makes a mistake to us losing a game, the youngsters confidence will be shot for a long time because of how cunty some Rangers fans can be towards player's performances.

1 hour ago, Rab said:

Rangers definitely have the talent coming through. We recently sold Billy Gilmour to Chelsea and Dire Mabude to Man City.

I think because Rangers are in a tricky spot right now in terms of being completely trophyless for a long time, he can't afford to play inexperienced players. Rangers fans fully expect us to win the league this year and if he was to bring on a youngster that makes a mistake to us losing a game, the youngsters confidence will be shot for a long time because of how cunty some Rangers fans can be towards player's performances.

In other words, Gerrard is looking at the short term for now? As you say, blooding youngsters will possibly come when the league title monkey on your back has been sorted! Then he may look more long term.

1 hour ago, LFCMadLad said:

In other words, Gerrard is looking at the short term for now? As you say, blooding youngsters will possibly come when the league title monkey on your back has been sorted! Then he may look more long term.

Yeah. I mean I don't think its even a Gerrard thing either with Rangers. John Fleck was hyped up to be the next Wayne Rooney when he was like 18 and flopped big time when he took to the field for Rangers, moved down to a Championship side where he was just playing away for years. Now he's playing really well for Sheffield United and also playing for Scotland.

Ibrox is definitely a tough place to play mentally when the fans are on your back.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to be a negative nancy but I put a lot of praise in the people running the club to get Gers back up to speed. Coming from several divisions down as a phoenix club isn't easy, even if it is a club like Rangers. Maybe not having six dozen bank loans to default on is a boon? @Rab would probably tell me I'm talking out my arse, but that is just my casual observations.

Gerrard is probably their most talented head coach since rebirth, whether or not it is because the players buy into his personality or tactics doesn't matter because he has them winning.

10 minutes ago, Spike said:

Not to be a negative nancy but I put a lot of praise in the people running the club to get Gers back up to speed. Coming from several divisions down as a phoenix club isn't easy, even if it is a club like Rangers. Maybe not having six dozen bank loans to default on is a boon? @Rab would probably tell me I'm talking out my arse, but that is just my casual observations.

Gerrard is probably their most talented head coach since rebirth, whether or not it is because the players buy into his personality or tactics doesn't matter because he has them winning.

Rangers are still technically struggling financially because of the amount of money we've spent to get back to where we are now. We're operating at a fairly substantial loss considering our last 8 years and where we've come from.

Dave King has been the driving force behind our current success. He's been the one to get everything back in order and putting the right people in the right places. Without him none of what is currently going on would have happened.

Gerrard has the team playing as a unit. Every single player on the park knows their role and sticks to that role. The majority of teams will struggle to break us down this season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Another solid 4-0 win for Rangers. I really hope they don’t bottle this great start. I like Gerrard and I’ve  always been Rangers over Celtic. The past decade and their boring dominance have made the SPL even more unbearable. 

Even if Celtic win all their games in hand they’ll still be 5 points behind. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

Rangers: Steven Gerrard's revolution is entering a deeply pivotal time

_116067600_getimage.png

In the last game of the 2017-18 season that Rangers played before Steven Gerrard took over as manager at Ibrox, they conceded five goals against Hibs in a 5-5 draw at Easter Road. That's one more than they have conceded in 17 league games this season.

The last six games they played pre-Gerrard saw them shipping those five against Hibs, another five against Celtic, another four against Celtic and one against Hearts and Aberdeen. They gave up 16 goals in six domestic games. This season they've given up 12 in 27 in all competitions.

FULL REPORT

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, DeadLinesman said:

Currently 2-1 down to St Mirren in the League Cup.

Got the equaliser in the 88th then conceded again in stoppage time xD 

To be fair, it's probably the cup that's not a high priority for them...

Archived